The M6 in Motor Trend's World's Greatest Drag Race

by Bernie McGroarty on August 24, 2013, 1:31 pm
Once again, Motor Trend has assembled an array of sports cars from their Best Driver's Car Competition, to compete in the 3rd edition of the World's Greatest Drag Race. The race consists of twelve cars totaling near $1.9 million and putting down around 6100 horsepower, hitting the tarmac all at once. Watch and see how the M6 stacks up.



Check out the full article from Motor Trend and last years race here.


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










18 responses to The M6 in Motor Trend's World's Greatest Drag Race

bigscore commented:
August 25, 2013, 1:15 am

sooooo....

An E63 Wagon is faster than an M6??
boramkiv commented:
August 25, 2013, 8:42 pm

This is actually quite disappointing. I know, I know, the ///M cars were never designed with straight line performance as a priority, but when that AMG wagon leaves you by that much you have to shake your head. The M5 would do the same.
Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
August 25, 2013, 9:31 pm

That wagon has quite a bit more torque though and a few more hp, so not a horrible showing.
blue dragon commented:
August 26, 2013, 7:09 am

The GTR is just such a beast on the launch, that the more powerful cars have a huge gap to close.

The M6 is exposed yet again as another bloated luxo barge, getting beat by a grocery getter Mercedes wagon
boramkiv commented:
August 26, 2013, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
The M6 is exposed yet again as another bloated luxo barge, getting beat by a grocery getter Mercedes wagon
This is what I'm saying. I'm sorry, but no matter how you look at it this is still an M6, a two door beast of a machine. It should not be finishing in that second group (12's).
It also didnt do well at VIR for the Lightning Lap this year.
So it's not great at the strip or the track.

I'm sorry, but this car should have at least been right there with the AMG running maybe an 11.7-8. Maybe the car aborted LC idk, but idk that its not a good representation for an M coupe with that much power and technology.

I hope the M4 can be a better coupe.
imjoet commented:
August 26, 2013, 7:34 am

What's with all the hate for wagons? They're just as capable as sedans (if not more so) and have the advantage of being a bit more discreet (and space for Costco runs). The fastest car driving by me on the autobahn during ED was an RS6 avant. No chance I could catch up with it, and I'm ok with that. Granny was in a rush to get her groceries home


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
boramkiv commented:
August 26, 2013, 7:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoet View Post
What's with all the hate for wagons? They're just as capable as sedans (if not more so) and have the advantage of being a bit more discreet (and space for Costco runs). The fastest car driving by me on the autobahn during ED was an RS6 avant. No chance I could catch up with it, and I'm ok with that. Granny was in a rush to get her groceries home


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Absolutely no hate for the wagon, actually I love the fact that the wagon was up there. (Did you notice the pretty female that took the wheel, made it even better)
The fact is its probably heavier than the m6 (or perceived that way) higher drag coefficient, and even with more power than the ///M simply means that it should have kept up with the M6.

I only compare those two because they roughly have the same HP or at least HP to weight ratio.
I'm just not liking what's happening with the M5/M6 right now. Yes they are a techno marvel, but with DCT and LC and VANOS, Valvetronic, I mean all that stuff means nothing if the car isn't competitive all while burning the same amount of fuel as the rest.
Today's M6 should be an 11 second car off the showroom floor period.
Orbie commented:
August 26, 2013, 12:57 pm

Not sure why everyone is so mad the E63 AMG wagon did so well, the redesign just came out, whereas the M6 has been out for a little while now. You have to give props that MB is putting that type of performance into the E63 let alone the wagon. Unfortunately the E63 AMG sedan will likely be even faster than the wagon without all the weight. Truly the difference is likely due to the gearing and launch control between the two cars. MB modelled it similar to the GTR, close ratio gearing for quick acceleration, you can see it in the trap times. The M6 may be 0.4 seconds slower to the 1/4 mile but it's trap speed suggest it's catching up quick and would surpass the AMG given some more road, easily in a mile.

Back to the wagon, I'm happy it did so well, hopefully it sells well too and other manufacturers start to bring back the high performance wagons. Audi RS4/RS6 Avant would be amazing to have in NA, hell even BMW made the M5 wagon in Europe! Hard to see it now, but better competition is a good thing as it will force the rest to up their game and us as the consumers will ultimately benefit!
Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
August 26, 2013, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Back to the wagon, I'm happy it did so well, hopefully it sells well too and other manufacturers start to bring back the high performance wagons. Audi RS4/RS6 Avant would be amazing to have in NA, hell even BMW made the M5 wagon in Europe! Hard to see it now, but better competition is a good thing as it will force the rest to up their game and us as the consumers will ultimately benefit!

I like where your head is at!
TXSTYLE commented:
August 28, 2013, 2:24 pm

Not surprised at ANY of the results except for a bare bones 911 beating out a new VANQUISH V12 and all! The Aston is my favorite GT but they seriously need to beef up the tranny and or how it puts the power down.
M6Cpe commented:
August 31, 2013, 12:21 am

Some people still don't understand the high, extremely balanced capabilities of the "bloated" M6 Coupe.

There's not a spit of difference between the 1/4 mile performance of all the cars.

If you want to drive around looking at Altima controls on the dash, buy the Nissan. We'll look for your article in Import Tuner magazine in five years.

If you want to spend $290,000+, buy the gullwing Mercedes Black in that hot Solarbeam Yellow color.

If you want to spend thousands at the shop for simple services, buy an Ferrari, Lambo, Jag, or Aston.

If you want a rehashed, updated classic 1965 design, buy a Porsche 911.

If you want the MB wagon, great. MB can import about four of those and fulfill all US orders.

For me, the BMW M6 Coupe hits the mark right in the center.
DRL650 commented:
September 4, 2013, 10:32 pm

I really like the new M6, But I agree for the money and technology it should have finished in the front group, I have seen two in my area who have been getting destroyed in the qtr against CTS Vs and of course the GTRs. I hope BMW comes up with a few tweeks to get this beautiful car on par with the Mercedes, Come on BMW step up your game. I like that these auto makers like Cadillac, MB and Audi are stepping up, it brings all of the makers to step up and bring there A game.
bluejayfan commented:
September 5, 2013, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL650 View Post
I have seen two in my area who have been getting destroyed in the qtr against CTS Vs and of course the GTRs.
GT-R's, yes. CTS-V, no, unless the driver is bad.
DRL650 commented:
September 7, 2013, 9:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
GT-R's, yes. CTS-V, no, unless the driver is bad.

I also should have not said the M get's destroyed at the track, The few run's I have seen the V just edges out the M, Yes it could be the driver as these two rides are so close in the specs. My brother in law has a new M6 Coupe and I really love the car, I ran him yesterday and just edged him out we went from 40 to about 110 on a closed air strip. two runs and just beat him by a nose, He needs more seat time in his M. If no rain today we will go again. I will try to borrow a go pro for some video. I really want to buy a M Coupe in White or maybe Space Grey again?

I grabbed this data from C&D see below. Not arguing with you, just showing you these two cars are really neck and neck, The problem I have with the M6 is this is BMWs newest and best where as the V is old and the new V is going to be a beast which will put the M back down a notch, I like the competition. The M is about 40k more also.

The lightning lap at VIR Fastest BMW ever to go around VIR at 3.04 min.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3-class-page-5


CTS V VIR Lightning lap 3.04. dead heat?
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...3-class-page-4
bluejayfan commented:
September 7, 2013, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL650 View Post
I also should have not said the M get's destroyed at the track, The few run's I have seen the V just edges out the M, Yes it could be the driver as these two rides are so close in the specs. My brother in law has a new M6 Coupe and I really love the car, I ran him yesterday and just edged him out we went from 40 to about 110 on a closed air strip. two runs and just beat him by a nose, He needs more seat time in his M. If no rain today we will go again. I will try to borrow a go pro for some video. I really want to buy a M Coupe in White or maybe Space Grey again?

I grabbed this data from C&D see below. Not arguing with you, just showing you these two cars are really neck and neck, The problem I have with the M6 is this is BMWs newest and best where as the V is old and the new V is going to be a beast which will put the M back down a notch, I like the competition. The M is about 40k more also.
I'm not saying that the CTS-V isn't fast or a great car, but lap times 3 years apart don't really mean much, even drivers change over 3 years not to mention temperature and track conditions. You've really got to go head to head, switch drivers and do it again, to get any reasonable comparison. You just don't see many of those comparisons in the car magazines, truly analytical with respect to performance.

There's a fairly current R&T head to head of the M5 and CTS-V, the M5 was faster even though they liked the CTS-V better. And then there is C&D's head to head of the M5 and M6 where the M6 was faster and they like the 'drive' of the M6 better.

They're all subjective today, more interest in selling magazines and collecting page views.

I spent a great deal of time in a CTS-V when I was shopping for my last car, a 550. While the CTS-V was much faster I just couldn't stand the fit and finish, and the seats were horrid. Flash forward 3 years and I tested the CTS-V again and ended up in the M6 (The seats in the M6, the active ones, are almost as horrid as the ones in the CTS-V).

Yes, the CTS-V is much less expensive, but the M6 has this unique blend of comfort and performance that the CTS-V just can't touch, in my opinion. I like to call it 'Raw vs. Refined'. You originally mentioned quarter's, and in the quarter the M6 is faster, period.
DRL650 commented:
September 7, 2013, 5:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
I'm not saying that the CTS-V isn't fast or a great car, but lap times 3 years apart don't really mean much, even drivers change over 3 years not to mention temperature and track conditions. You've really got to go head to head, switch drivers and do it again, to get any reasonable comparison. You just don't see many of those comparisons in the car magazines, truly analytical with respect to performance.

There's a fairly current R&T head to head of the M5 and CTS-V, the M5 was faster even though they liked the CTS-V better. And then there is C&D's head to head of the M5 and M6 where the M6 was faster and they like the 'drive' of the M6 better.

They're all subjective today, more interest in selling magazines and collecting page views.

I spent a great deal of time in a CTS-V when I was shopping for my last car, a 550. While the CTS-V was much faster I just couldn't stand the fit and finish, and the seats were horrid. Flash forward 3 years and I tested the CTS-V again and ended up in the M6 (The seats in the M6, the active ones, are almost as horrid as the ones in the CTS-V).

Yes, the CTS-V is much less expensive, but the M6 has this unique blend of comfort and performance that the CTS-V just can't touch, in my opinion. I like to call it 'Raw vs. Refined'. You originally mentioned quarter's, and in the quarter the M6 is faster, period.
I do agree to most of what you said, Except for the qtr mile, Everywhere I have read and from what I have seen they are a toss up? They are within 0.2 apart some have the M ahead and a few have the dead even? Not worth the fuss. I did run my brother in laws M6 today from a dead stop up to about 110, We ran 5 runs He actually got me by about a fender on two runs, We swapped cars for one run and he beat me by half a car. The M6 has a huge advantage in the shifting speed as the auto trans in the M is worlds ahead of the auto trans in the V.
dalekressin commented:
January 12, 2014, 9:16 pm

I don't know the M6 is a heavy car so straight line tests are not at it's best. The 991 GT3 would be nice to see in the run.
GT-R is very fast off the line on a roll and it has more weight than needed. So many great choices.
07 E63650i commented:
January 13, 2014, 2:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Absolutely no hate for the wagon, actually I love the fact that the wagon was up there. (Did you notice the pretty female that took the wheel, made it even better)
The fact is its probably heavier than the m6 (or perceived that way) higher drag coefficient, and even with more power than the ///M simply means that it should have kept up with the M6.

I only compare those two because they roughly have the same HP or at least HP to weight ratio.
I'm just not liking what's happening with the M5/M6 right now. Yes they are a techno marvel, but with DCT and LC and VANOS, Valvetronic, I mean all that stuff means nothing if the car isn't competitive all while burning the same amount of fuel as the rest.
Today's M6 should be an 11 second car off the showroom floor period.
New M division will never be the same as the M division that was on car known for the naturally aspirated engines.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app