Newborn mice and nest in the trunk of brand new F30 335i

by Bimmerfest.com Member - mrstas on August 25, 2013, 9:37 am
I came home last night, opened the trunk of my car (in my possession since 8/7, when I picked it up at the Performance Center), and found four newborn mice and a small nest made of what appears to be car insulation.

I didn't find the mother mouse, so I'm hoping she scurried away after giving birth, and isn't hiding somewhere inside my trunk's insulation.

Important fun fact: my car was damaged in Europe during my European Delivery and lived at the VPC for a month while it was getting fixed, and then the trunk was damaged during shipping to the Performance Center, and was fixed in South Carolina.

I found out yesterday that mice have a pregnancy term of 19-21 days, i.e. longer than I've had the car. Of course, that mouse would have had to get out for water and maybe food during that time, but that means it's possible that it would have found a way inside the car during the trunk repair in SC.

My worry is that whatever trunk repair work was done at the VPC left some kind of hole for the mouse to get inside my trunk. I've had many cars before, all parked at this house, and I've never before had a mouse get inside the car.

So, Bimmerfest community - ideas? I'm going to take the car to the dealership tomorrow to be looked at. Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

44 responses to Newborn mice and nest in the trunk of brand new F30 335i

MMME30W commented:
August 25, 2013, 9:57 am

I doubt they'll charge you for that VPC accessory.

All kidding aside, that sucks. Maybe get the car up on a lift and have a good look around?
beden1 commented:
August 25, 2013, 10:01 am

Probably got into the trunk when it was open while doing repairs.
Technic commented:
August 25, 2013, 10:12 am

This most be one of the most bizarre "my BMW is doing this" threads in this forum.
Fespo276 commented:
August 25, 2013, 11:17 am

My wife had a mouse somehow find a way into her Subaru Outback. Problem is the thing got caught up and died somewhere deep in the dash. The smell was unbearable. Had the have the dash removed to get it out. I would make sure they look good for the mother.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
lezam commented:
August 25, 2013, 11:36 am

I'd bring it back to the dealer and be like... wtf?
Arciga18 commented:
August 25, 2013, 11:43 am

This just made my morning. Sorry about the mice.

Hi, BMW Customer relations, I'm not impressed with the car and expect you to buy it back. .... .What would you say is wrong with the car?....Miss, there are newborn mice in the trunk...... Um.. have you talked to your dealer?...... LOL.
bayoucity commented:
August 25, 2013, 11:56 am

@ OP, please also post at PCD section. You might get some official respond.
pointandgo commented:
August 25, 2013, 10:49 pm

This makes the ants discovered in my new F30 look like a minor problem.
imjoet commented:
August 25, 2013, 11:23 pm

This story makes me feel better about my month plus waiting for my baby to make it on the boat... So kind as she shows up sans rodents. Wish you the best

MonkeyDigsBMW commented:
August 26, 2013, 1:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3DYbE44OIE

Hope you get it sorted.
mwm1166 commented:
August 26, 2013, 4:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
I came home last night, opened the trunk of my car (in my possession since 8/7, when I picked it up at the Performance Center), and found four newborn mice and a small nest made of what appears to be car insulation.

I didn't find the mother mouse, so I'm hoping she scurried away after giving birth, and isn't hiding somewhere inside my trunk's insulation.

Important fun fact: my car was damaged in Europe during my European Delivery and lived at the VPC for a month while it was getting fixed, and then the trunk was damaged during shipping to the Performance Center, and was fixed in South Carolina.

I found out yesterday that mice have a pregnancy term of 19-21 days, i.e. longer than I've had the car. Of course, that mouse would have had to get out for water and maybe food during that time, but that means it's possible that it would have found a way inside the car during the trunk repair in SC.

My worry is that whatever trunk repair work was done at the VPC left some kind of hole for the mouse to get inside my trunk. I've had many cars before, all parked at this house, and I've never before had a mouse get inside the car.

So, Bimmerfest community - ideas? I'm going to take the car to the dealership tomorrow to be looked at. Has anyone experienced something like this before?
That's a bummer. My wife had a similar situation. When she was in the proccess of moving west to LA before we got married she left her car garaged for 2 months in the fall at her mother's house outside of Peoria Illinois. Somehow, mice got into her engine and made a nest. Finally, when she came back to get the car she started it and drove. Few hours, the next day she got in with a horrible smell, the mice were killed and rotting somewhere inside the engine compartment. It took us 3 trips and two mechanics to lovingly go over the car to uncover the extent of their nest. The first guy thought he found all the dead baby mice, and claimed to have cleaned them out. However, the smell persisted. So I had it taken to a family friend and mechanic who looked it over once and found no signs of anymore problems. However, as the stench worsened he took it back a few days later, went over it with the love and care that you would show to your friends and finally found the dead mother.

So, yeah, don't go easy on BMW on this. It can take a lot of money and effort to search for these mice inside the car. A regular mechanic might not be thorough enough, and in a few weeks your brand new car could need to go back in and be torn apart and that sucks since this is a brand new vehicle. The good news, is if/when they find everything and treat the smell, it should solve your problem. My wife's car has been fine now post-nest for four years.

Just do not let them off the hook until they show you dead bodies, replace the insulation the mice destroyed and replace all the air filters to the AC and such.
gcreese commented:
August 26, 2013, 5:55 am

The bad news -- besides the smell if the mice end up dead -- is that they're inclined to eat the wire insulation. Turns out BMW uses some kind of eco- friendly wire covering that's plant-based, rather than plastic. So make sure BMW checks the wiring. A couple of years ago mice got at some fuel pump wiring in my wife's 535 wagon, causing it to throw a code. It cost us $850 to fix it. The comment from the BMW dealership was, "It's a common problem; no, it's not covered under the warranty."
scotte36 commented:
August 26, 2013, 6:00 am

Lucky it wasn't boat people in your trunk!

fleuger99 commented:
August 26, 2013, 10:14 am

That sucks, I'd be really pissed that they allowed this to happen with a new car. Give them hell. Good luck.
PK2348 commented:
August 26, 2013, 10:31 am

i would demand that BMW buts their best available cat on the job to catch the mouse if it's still alive
need4speed commented:
August 26, 2013, 11:06 am

Just goes to show, always spring for the live cat option when buying a new Bimmer. They only charge $1995.00 for a cat with the roundel tattooed on it's @ss. $1895.00 for the cat sans the roundel.
Really though, I hope they get it fixed right for you. Good Luck! N4S
mr_clueless commented:
August 26, 2013, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
The bad news -- besides the smell if the mice end up dead -- is that they're inclined to eat the wire insulation. Turns out BMW uses some kind of eco- friendly wire covering that's plant-based, rather than plastic. So make sure BMW checks the wiring. A couple of years ago mice got at some fuel pump wiring in my wife's 535 wagon, causing it to throw a code. It cost us $850 to fix it. The comment from the BMW dealership was, "It's a common problem; no, it's not covered under the warranty."
When my car was new and I was taking it to the dealer for service, the SA always checked the engine bay for signs of mice when checking the car in. I guess it must have been a not so uncommon problem in my area.
moviebumm commented:
August 26, 2013, 4:21 pm

mrstas, weird situation. I hope you get this resolved. Good luck.
Gerry1314 commented:
August 27, 2013, 4:13 am

Every fall I go through mice issues with my car. I've had them build their nests in my engine, and one time they chewed through the gas line near the trunk. Now my garage is littered with moth balls to keep them away which only kinda works. The feral cats in my area aren't keeping the mice under control either, but that's as close as I want to get to having a cat around. LOL In your case, I don't think you can assume the mouse was in the car the entire gestation period. For all you know, the mouse moved in the day before you found them and BMW had nothing to do with it.
mrstas commented:
August 27, 2013, 11:23 am

See, I understand the engine compartment, since it's open to the outside. But the inside of the trunk isn't open to the outside, so how did the mice get in? This is what troubles me.
saluki commented:
August 27, 2013, 1:50 pm

What are you going to name them?
Gerry1314 commented:
August 27, 2013, 5:36 pm

Mice can get into anything, anywhere, anytime. It's one of their mouse powers. For me, how they got in stopped being the concern, and turned to how to keep them out. In my rural neighborhood, it's all part of the fun, season after season after season.
mr_clueless commented:
August 27, 2013, 5:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1314 View Post
Mice can get into anything, anywhere, anytime. It's one of their mouse powers. For me, how they got in stopped being the concern, and turned to how to keep them out. In my rural neighborhood, it's all part of the fun, season after season after season.
That should be easy. Just put up some signs like these and they'll know to avoid those places.
http://www.lydiagable.com/wp-content...No-Mouse-3.png

BMWs should come factory-equipped with mouse-traps all over the car.
Bemo commented:
August 28, 2013, 10:07 pm

Bayerische Mice Werke
Definitely a trip to the dealer and throw a fit to have the car thoroughly examined and a case opened as a "CYA" in case you have lingering odor issues down the road.
SuperTerp commented:
August 28, 2013, 11:14 pm

I had like 400 bucks worth of chewed wire they said it was like right near harnesses that would have been 2k lol I park far away n walk to my house now

Get cats they are the ultimate killing machines
pointandgo commented:
August 28, 2013, 11:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Bayerische Mice Werke
Definitely a trip to the dealer and throw a fit to have the car thoroughly examined and a case opened as a "CYA" in case you have lingering odor issues down the road.
pointandgo commented:
August 28, 2013, 11:27 pm

I wonder how the OP is going to respond to the inevitable BMW NA "satisfaction survey" that he will receive, as the rodent issue is not fully resolved yet (what vermin may be lurking in the car?).
glawrence2000 commented:
August 28, 2013, 11:41 pm

Wait. I didnt see that on the options list.
Sunroof check
Xenon lights check
Chrome trim check
Dead mice .....

How do you market that for resale. Options include dead mice (mummified)

mrstas commented:
August 28, 2013, 11:49 pm

No new mice to report since I found the four on Saturday! Let's hope it stays that way.
furby076 commented:
August 29, 2013, 12:29 pm

Quote:
MAZAL TOV! Do you have a baby registry? Where should we send the gifts? What are their names?

NOTE: Just because momma mouse got pregnant before you took delivery does not mean she has been in there since VPC. She could have gone into your car last week to find a safe place to give birth.
pkim1079 commented:
August 29, 2013, 6:54 pm

they look so cute, with little nest and everything.....but looks like they were getting tossed around quite a bit LOL
SilverX3 commented:
August 29, 2013, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by mrstas

German Mice or South African mice
Elk commented:
August 29, 2013, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1314 View Post
Mice can get into anything, anywhere, anytime. It's one of their mouse powers.

A car is full of holes to a mouse. Just like Swiss cheese.
need4speed commented:
August 30, 2013, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post

Like their horses(power) German mice are stronger. N4S
mrstas commented:
August 30, 2013, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post

South Carolinian mice, most likely, although New Jersey mice are possible. I doubt the German mice could have survived the trip from Munich, through Europe, and the month my car was held at the VPC.
fb88 commented:
August 31, 2013, 5:04 pm

Now you just need a snake to get in and eat the mice...
Gerry1314 commented:
August 31, 2013, 8:42 pm

OMG OMG a SNAKE in the car!! Thanks for the nightmares!
BMWNA commented:
September 3, 2013, 12:08 pm

We're sorry to learn about your mice issue. Tina from our Customer Relations team will contact you directly to further discuss your concerns.
3ismagic# commented:
September 3, 2013, 4:55 pm

M-Sport mouse pups add 1.8 HP and 1.6 lb/ft
mrstas commented:
September 3, 2013, 4:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
M-Sport mouse pups add 1.8 HP and 1.6 lb/ft
Per mouse? Or in aggregate?
Technic commented:
September 3, 2013, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA View Post
We're sorry to learn about your mice issue. Tina from our Customer Relations team will contact you directly to further discuss your concerns.
Oh, oh... they called Tina. Somebody -or something- is going to pay.
mrstas commented:
September 3, 2013, 5:09 pm

BMWNA has reached out to me, and we're talking. I'm glad they monitor these forums!
Orient330iNYC commented:
September 3, 2013, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Oh, oh... they called Tina. Somebody -or something- is going to pay.
recently ordered for delivery to the NJ VDC:
gcreese commented:
September 3, 2013, 10:27 pm

Quote:
BMWNA has reached out to me, and we're talking. I'm glad they monitor these forums!
Yeah, well, the last thing they want is for a "'Mouse in Trunk Option' Now Available from BMW" headline to appear in the New York Daily News. I wonder what they use for their social media monitoring platform.