BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Suspension Feeling Loss - Should we Petition

65K views 329 replies 64 participants last post by  RobertaZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

So for those of you who owned an e90 and now own an f30, you know that the f30 has lost that love and feeling. The love I am talking about is the suspension. Even those who have DHP the complaint is the suspension is more loose than the e90 (which didn't have the concept of DHP).

I have an X-drive, and in the e90 the road handling was tight - never a complaint. In the f30, it feels loose (like an Altima) and almost dangerous.

What is BMW known for, amongst other cars in it's class (Audi, Lexus, Benz)? It's the suspension. Any car can go fast, any car can go quick, and any car luxurious. BMW is not known for being technologically innovative and tends to follow others. So if the suspension of the 3 series is the same as the other cars, why buy a BMW over those cars? Where is the competative edge? We could spend a lot of time discussing that, and the purpose of this thread is not to do so.

The question, especially since I have never done something like this before, should we start a petition to submit to BMW to make DHP standard, and bring the suspension back to what it was in the e90 (for all models)? For those concerned about the feeling when you ride over rough road, we have many festors who have fixed it by simply updating the shocks and tires (e.g., CaptainAudio). So this is not exactly a hard fix. Essentially, the pendulum swung the other way, and it's killing one of BMWs main competative advantages.

So, should we get a petition going? If we get 1000 signatures, or more, BMW might just listen and fix it (probably during LCI).

Best

PETITION

Petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bmw-suspension.html

See less See more
#231 ·
I haven't driven an MT either. I drove a no line with DHP and it seemed OK (didn't blow me away or nothing), but it has 18" wheels (they looked like the same ones on the 335, didn't know that was an option for 328) and I wasn't able to take it on the highway. Couple that with the CA not knowing how to adjust the steering/suspension independently, means I really barely got a feel for what my car will be like.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it will drive better than my current car with 218K miles. I think it should be OK. (As long as I don't have any brake issues or engine going into limp mode issues. :))

#243 ·
It says something...I'm not sure that something is good for the newer models. BMW is pulling a Mercedes Benz in 2000. Quality was abysmal.

#264 ·
Just my opinion. The 1 series is ugly as sin, especially the sedan. Yet I don't think that will be its downfall. I do fear the 1er sedan is going to be a flop. after you put a few options in it, you could easily get into a 320i or a near base 328i. unless they make the 1er sedan vastly cheaper than a 320i.... it will never sell except to enthusiasts. I understand the practicality and in theory it should sell. the problem is size, price and marketing. If the 320 wasn't released in the states a 1er sedan makes sense, otherwise not so much....

#266 ·
I am not a fan of the F30. First and foremost, the exterior design is awful, especially the new headlight/kidney grill configuration, not to mention the atrocious hood, which now runs above the BMW logo. Yes, I know that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I just don't see any beauty.
The suspension feel has already been covered, ad nauseam. For those that disagree, read the newest Car & Driver article, comparing the E90 and F30.
Onto steering next, awful, by way of being void of any road feel and overly-boosted. There are no after market alternatives to correct this.

Good bye F30, hello something else. As someone else already said, don't buy it and complain. Simply purchase another car and be happy!

#267 ·
strange.... you own a E90. Which not only looks remarkably like a F30 in a lot of ways, its also one of which 90% of Americans couldn't tell you the difference between a F30 and a E90. I understand its your opinion and I respect it. Its just a strange opinion from a E90 owner.

Ill agree photos don't do it justice, when I saw one in person I fell in love immediately. just my opinion.

#270 ·
yeah I cant wait for the new M3 (sedan). the road presence will be overwhelming. I remember the first time I saw a F10 M5 on the street. Of course id seen pictures and read reviews but when I actually saw the M5 in person my mouth literally dropped. IMO BMW has never made the M look so different than the 535/550. pics really don't do it justice. anyway I hope they do the same with the f30 M3. I also loved the look of the E90 sedan M3...great car.

also thanks for understanding those were just my opinions earlier. a lot of people take things so personal on here.

#273 ·
#277 ·
Standard equipment becoming options is nothing new. My E92 came with Harmon Kardon and alarm pre-wire. These things were options a couple years later.

I keep coming back to "it is what it is". If you no longer like the brand then maybe it's time for something else. Again, sorry you don't like your new car. I know it must be tough spending all the energy and money on something you are disappointed in.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#278 ·
Standard equipment becoming options is nothing new. My E92 came with Harmon Kardon and alarm pre-wire. These things were options a couple years later.

I keep coming back to "it is what it is". If you no longer like the brand then maybe it's time for something else. Again, sorry you don't like your new car. I know it must be tough spending all the energy and money on something you are disappointed in.

AFAIK HK has always been a paid option. You're saying it was a "no cost" option? That's surprising because it cost on my E46 325i and M3 as well as the F30 335i.

#281 ·
I have come to conclude that my need for the harsher suspension from my Pre LCI and Post LCI E90 was because I had gotten used to the stiff sport suspension, hydraulic steering and stiff shocks for the past 6 years.

After test driving the new F3x, I just test drove an Audi Q5 and have to say that they also went to soft muted suspensions & non responsive steering too.

Guess I just have to get used to the "new" CAFE standard gas mileage requirements that the feds have imposed on the manufacturers.

Wish BMW would offer an "option" to replace out the soft mushy suspension and non responsive steering with the old stuff - but then that would mess with the CAFE requirements....

Don't you just love governmental bureaucracy ????

#296 ·
This can be dialed out, thank god. If there are any E46 owners here that initially had the factory fly-by-wire throttle vs 2 SW revisions later, the immediate response difference is night and day. So I'm confident BMW can address this throw a SW algorithm upgrade.

Except the F30 is now in it's third year and it's not changed much. Car and Driver just commented on the EPS in the brand new and sportier themed 4 series and was not complimentary.

#297 ·
Except the F30 is now in it's third year and it's not changed much. Car and Driver just commented on the EPS in the brand new and sportier themed 4 series and was not complimentary.
E46 fly-by-wire SW was not updated till the 5th year in 03 then again in 05. So don't expect those changes to come anytime soon. Pays to get late model year, post LCI models.

#290 ·
Perhaps you were enamored by the E9x sport suspension but not everyone was. The pothole explosions were well known. The suspension was never ideal. The new one is just different and tries to appeal to more people while giving owners who want something more sporty options like the M performance suspension, DHP, M Sport brakes, and even a tune. The options cost money but they have tried to create a vehicle that can be customized to your preference. I believe their only mistake is that they didn't align the model "lines" along those options better. But I am sure if they did people would complain about the fact that they can't get the luxury suspension on a "sport line". Kind of like not being able to get the anthracite trim on an M Sport.

#291 ·
I am curious about something that through hundreds of posts I have read, has never been defined.

What exactly is a "driving enthusiast?"

I recognize that there are people in the world that mindlessly get into their cars and just drive without much thought, and there are others who love driving a lot, like watching racing, like taking cars to tracks, etc. But what exactly is a driving enthusiast? What is the cutoff? If I use my BMW mostly as a daily driver am I not a driving enthusiast? If I keep my BMW spotless under a tarp in the garage and have modified it a bunch of times, and take it to the track 4 times a year, am I a driving enthusiast?

So after asking that question, what if I value getting 5 mpg more fuel economy vs. the older E90, slightly better acceleration, a larger trunk, and more technology that integrates better with my lifestyle? What if I value a more comfortable ride vs. having a ride that may perform slightly better but is uncomfortable? For some on this forum, this type of person is seen somehow has not being a "driving enthusiast" without again, that term not being defined.

The BMW328i is an interesting car, because it is a hybrid of two kinds of cars (which means it suffers from not being exceptional in a particular category). It is a compact car, that seeks to be a luxury car, that also seeks to be a sports car. I would offer that many who own BMW 328i cars who like to be thought of as "driving enthusiasts" are exactly like most of us - they can't afford a Porsche (or similar high performance coupe sports car) and need a BMW as a daily driver.

#292 · (Edited)
I am curious about something that through hundreds of posts I have read, has never been defined.

What exactly is a "driving enthusiast?"

I recognize that there are people in the world that mindlessly get into their cars and just drive without much thought, and there are others who love driving a lot, like watching racing, like taking cars to tracks, etc.
My personal definition.

A driving enthusiast is someone who sees a car as something more than basic transportation. A driving emthusiast will go for a drive just for the fun of it. This covers a wide range of people. Some value performance and vehicle dynamics more than others.

CA

#314 ·
We're on our third BMW, with a fourth arriving shortly. The cars have all had stellar reliability. The current 3 series has best in class repair statistics per Consumer Reports. Experience matters more than some questionable opinion poll to me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using BimmerApp mobile app

#315 ·
We're on our third BMW, with a fourth arriving shortly. The cars have all had stellar reliability. The current 3 series has best in class repair statistics per Consumer Reports. Experience matters more than some questionable opinion poll to me.

Questionable "opinon poll"? If you're talking about JD Powers or Consumer Reports magazine, this is feedback from actual owner's with their cars over time, or test results (CR). What's "questionable" about that?

In the case of JD Powers "IQS" survey of BMW owners over the years, BMW is basically 'stuck' in 16th place...even GM models are rated higher. BMW doesn't have "stellar" reliability ratings...and they don't care.

#318 ·
Furby, I like your posts and respect your opinions. Please understand my response is MY OPINION and not a personal attack.

ACTUALY arranging a petition based on opinion, not fact or truths seems odd. I've said it many times on many threads that this is a forum where 100% of us are spirited driving enthusiasts. We collectively make up a immeasurable amount of buyers. That and most of the people complaining about the F30 suspension either don't even own an F30, or bought one configured improperly for their driving style. this is just my opinion though as I have read plenty of reviews where people are praising the M suspension and prefer it over the E90's, especially DHP equipped vehicles. A lot of " I got standard cushy suspension and upset that a properly equipped BMW out-handles mine!" complaints. sorry if you bought a F30 Xdrive without DHP, you should have known better to be honest. I must agree that yes the F30's standard suspension is much softer than previous models. That being said, M suspension available through Msport 328/335 and through sport pkg on the 320i IMO is OUT f'ing STANDING suspension. Again Furby, this is just a opinionated response and not an attack.

#322 ·
Good intentions but sadly, it'll fall on deaf ears.
My indy mechanic, who actively mods and tracks BMWs, is also connected with some BMW insiders and think he has a good glimpse of the future. Two things seem compelling:
1) BMW is enjoying worldwide sales success and will continue the trend... offering bigger, more luxurious, tech heavy, maintenance free ride (at least until warranty and free maintenance period is up:) and the profile of the majority of their buyers apparently support that trend.
2) BMW continues to ride the wave of "the ultimate driving machine" marketing rep and target new buyers. Those new buyers haven't really driven the enthusiast BMWs from a few generations ago so they may not notice. For the diehard enthusiast, we get thrown a bone, albeit an expensive one, the M cars.
Each year I find it harder to remain loyal (My F10 is my sixth BMW) but I don't think BMW really cares.

#326 ·
I had a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T that got great reviews and was a piece of crap from a reliability standpoint. That plus I tried five dealers in three states and never found one that did a decent job. I complained to Audi NA and the ultimate response I got was essentially "we see your had more problems than you should have but we're not going to do anything about it". That's what sent me to BMW, where my reliability and service experience has been excellent. Think I'll ever buy another Audi? No way. But BMW still needs to keep earning my loyalty.

#328 ·
I agree. I traded in my 2011 335, RWD, 6SPMT, M-Sport and now wish I had bought it. It was the perfect car for me. The F30 is a great car, but the steering and suspension compared to the E90 are awful. The F30 has high limits but doesn't communicate them the way the E90 does. It is no doubt more comfortable, and after you hit 50 or 60 MPH it turns into a proper BMW, still not as tight and communicative as the E90. I am hoping BMW fixes this with the 4 series and continues to improve it so when I'm ready to turn in this one in in 2 1/2 years the new cars drive like BMWs are supposed to.

I just posted a thread, I am receiving Alerts asking me to "Drive Moderately". Really BMW!! WTF!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.