BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

NHTSA INVOLVED IN 328i BRAKE ISSUES

17K views 74 replies 27 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 ·
I had a "oh sh*t" moment today. i posted it on another thread already. but its not isolated to the 328 and my f30 is a 320i. only 2500 miles, this is the first issue ive had with the car. I had to almost stand up on the brake pedal to stop it. it only rolled a few more feet but that's a fear of God moment. I live in germany too, brakes def cannot fail on the 'bahn or anywhere for that matter.

#7 ·
Read your other thread, glad your new car isn't your new coffee table. More importantly, that nobody got hurt. Hopefully they get to the bottom of it soon before somebody does get hurt.

Is the e-brake still a mechanical link? I know it would only be good for 15% stopping power, but better than nothing in this situation.

#6 ·
Been dealing with this issue since February. ON F30post there are posts from people all with the same stories. I have had the vacuum pump, check valve and camshaft replaced on a brand new car and the problem still exists. The vehicle is back in the shop again.

#9 ·
Yeah could have pulled e brake. the story may sound like Alot but from start to finish it couldn't have been more than 2 or 3 seconds.

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
Sorry jojo, wasn't saying you did anything wrong. When surprised like that, it takes that long just figure out wtf is going on. Just wondering about the e-brake if it happens to the rest of us.

#16 ·
Haha, that's why forums get offensive to some. You can't express sarcasm or emotion.

Didn't mean anything bad bro, just meant to say from the time I realized something was actually wrong the car was already stopped.

Sent from my LT18i using BimmerApp mobile app
Nope, didn't think yah did, but you hit the nail on the head. Things get misconstrued and then all he** breaks lose.

#18 · (Edited)
No, from what I read, the brakes are made in Korea.

BTW - I got my new 328i and on the first traffic stop, at slow speeds, I almost rear ended
the car in front of me. The car slowed down, but just didn't want to stop until I stomped hard on the pedal.

I had several other times at slow speeds when the car just didn't want to stop. I am used to it by now and allow for extra space. The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time.

The time I went to the dealer, they could not find anything wrong. I was told that BMW brakes are excellent.

We'll see what happens now.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that at first I thought it was a case of unintended acceleration and that's what I reported to the dealer. At parking speeds, I'd step on the brakes and the car would just keep going. Glad the problem seems to be gone after 8 months.

#19 ·
For all our safety, if you have experienced the same or similar brake incident/issue, report it to the NHTSA.
Especially for those with a 328i....slow down and keep distance.

#29 ·
Also just for everyone's reference. I'll be going to my German dealer tomorrow to see if they know anything about this issue. Ill post up when I know more.

joe
Thanks! - looking forward to what, if anything, you learn!

#32 · (Edited)
#34 ·
Here's what is going to happen with the NHTSA investigation. Right now we're in the 'PE' stage (preliminary investigation). If NHTSA (based on BMW's feedback of customer information, etc.) feels that more information is required, that there is 'merit' to further inquiry into the potential defect, they will elevate the 'defect' investigation to 'EA' or engineering analysis stage...not good for BMW as this is an indication that a recall may be necessary.

Investigation: If the ODI finds enough evidence of possible defect, it launches a full investigation. This process has two stages: Preliminary Evaluation (PE) and Engineering Analysis (EA). During the PE, the ODI collects more information about the alleged problem from the manufacturer, including a full record of customer feedback. The ODI also allows the manufacturer to submit its own analysis at this point. The investigation is stopped at this point if the manufacturer decides to launch a recall, or if the ODI decides that further investigation is not needed.

If the investigation continues after this point, it enters the EA stage. The ODI does a more detailed and complete analysis of the problem, building on the findings of the PE with additional testing, surveys, and information from parts suppliers. A full report is created and sent to industry experts for review to ensure accuracy in their methods and conclusions. The ODI verbally notifies the manufacturer about its findings, and allows the company to add any additional analysis or comments. The ODI then sends an official Recall Request Letter.

Recall Management: The Recall Management Division oversees all aspects of the recall, from ensuring that the scope of the recall is of appropriate size, and ensuring that manufacturers are fixing the problem quickly and efficiently.

#39 ·
Looks like my 2013 328i has the same problem. It stops but it just doesn't feel right when braking. Also someone else who owned a BMW earlier test drive my car and said the same thing the car is not stopping right away and too many jerks in between not coming to a smooth stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.