BMW's sales lead under fire from Lexus
Lexus posted a 23 percent jump in sales for the month of August, giving them the luxury car lead for the month, over Mercedes Benz and BMW. This is the first monthly win for Lexus since August of last year.
"August has traditionally been a big sales month for us and our Lexus dealers made it happen again, reaching a new high for the year," Steve Hearne, sales vice president for Lexus, said in the statement.
Lexus still trails BMW and Mercedes for the year though. BMW has been the annual leader for the last two years and their sales increased 46 percent in August from a year earlier. A demand for BMW's 3 and 5 Series have helped bring the sales numbers up, though BMW is still just behind Mercedes. Mercedes looks to have the lead for this years overall. Although, sources say they're looking to fall short again this year. Mercedes Benz sales so far are 190,359, BMW takes a close second by 1,362 vehicles with 188,997. Lexus isn't too far off the pace with 171,238 vehicles sold.
Lexus may not take the overall for the year, but BMW and Mercedes should keep a close watch on Lexus for the luxury car lead. They have held the top spot for luxury-auto brand in the US for 11 years prior to 2011. Will they keep the momentum and take back the top spot? Possible, but BMW is releasing it's new 4 Series soon, and if it has the demand that the 3 and 5 Series had, maybe BMW will end up on top.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- 2007 engine knocks and misses at times , then runs smooth over 80kms
- Resetting codes for airbag
- Black Friday Weekend + Cyber Monday Sale
- Indicator Lamp question
- 328i xdrive - Rattle at 1500-2000 RPM
- 2007 BMW 335i Navigation Screen Off
- Transmission Fluid Recommendation
- Weird Rim Fading/Liquid Damage
- Big daddies mini cats for catless pipes
- Maybe not the definitve article on snow tires but still a good one