BMW's sales lead under fire from Lexus
Lexus posted a 23 percent jump in sales for the month of August, giving them the luxury car lead for the month, over Mercedes Benz and BMW. This is the first monthly win for Lexus since August of last year.
"August has traditionally been a big sales month for us and our Lexus dealers made it happen again, reaching a new high for the year," Steve Hearne, sales vice president for Lexus, said in the statement.
Lexus still trails BMW and Mercedes for the year though. BMW has been the annual leader for the last two years and their sales increased 46 percent in August from a year earlier. A demand for BMW's 3 and 5 Series have helped bring the sales numbers up, though BMW is still just behind Mercedes. Mercedes looks to have the lead for this years overall. Although, sources say they're looking to fall short again this year. Mercedes Benz sales so far are 190,359, BMW takes a close second by 1,362 vehicles with 188,997. Lexus isn't too far off the pace with 171,238 vehicles sold.
Lexus may not take the overall for the year, but BMW and Mercedes should keep a close watch on Lexus for the luxury car lead. They have held the top spot for luxury-auto brand in the US for 11 years prior to 2011. Will they keep the momentum and take back the top spot? Possible, but BMW is releasing it's new 4 Series soon, and if it has the demand that the 3 and 5 Series had, maybe BMW will end up on top.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Erratic idle E90, what exactly does the valvetronic/eccentric shaft sensor do?
- Color Mod
- Manual Transmission issues 328 -opinions?
- DC AREA Car Detail and scratch removal?
- 2009 BMW 328i LCI Halogen LED Bulbs from e92lighting
- Aftermarket Interior Trim (not CF)
- New to me - 2011 335D M-Sport + Premium Package
- 335I dash cluster battery warning
- Anyone here with upgraded turbos?
- Looking to do a swap on my 2006 325i???