FWD: Coming To A BMW 1 Series Near You.
A recent report from Automotive News says that BMW plans to launch a new entry level 1 series sedan. This sedan, titled internally as NES (New Entry-level Sedan), will be the start of a range of front wheel drives available from BMW.
"The NES is integral to our growth plans," a BMW insider source revealed. "It will be an important pillar in the future 1-series lineup, particularly in the U.S. and China, where sales of small premium-brand four-door sedans are on the rise."
The 1 Series Sedan would join the Audi A3 Sedan and the Mercedes CLA in the premium sedan market. Both the Audi and the Mercedes also utilize a front wheel drive set up platform. BMW's front drive platform will be the one used in the new F56 MINI. This platform is also capable of supporting an all-wheel set up, leaving more options open for the line up in the future.
Due to launch in 2017, the 1-series sedan will precede the third-generation 1-series hatchback, whose current rear-wheel drive will be replaced by front-wheel drive.
Engine options will include three and four cylinder direct-injection gas as well as common-rail diesel units. A plug-in hybrid option may also be available in the future.
Source: Automotive News
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- E9x Air Conditioning in Arizona - any good at all? Anyone?
- Brand new, never used, spare for sale
- OFFICIAL Active Autowerke Front Mount Intercooler(FMIC) Group Buy N54/N55
- Don't put plants in the trunk
- If you could replace anything under warranty, what would that be?
- Advice on Potential Buy
- (SoCal) E93 Pre-lci M3 Style Front Bumper-NEW
- How do I learn to use paddle shift?
- DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for mid-2014....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>