BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Survey Discussion: Why Did You Buy A Diesel?

8K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Dave's325xi 
#1 · (Edited)
Bimmerfest is partnering with The Diesel Driver on a number of surveys about cars. The first survey is about your experience buying a Diesel car. If you missed the announcement on the site, you can find the survey to fill out here:

Why Did You Buy A Diesel Survey

The primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you elaborate on your thoughts about what went into your buying decision when you purchased your car.

Results of this poll will be announced both online at the Diesel Driver and here on Bimmerfest.

So ***8212; what made you buy your diesel? Torque? Fuel Economy? Reliablity? Something Else? Please take the survey today and join in the discussion.

#2 ·
There aren't many options out there with the functionality of 425 ftlb of torque that can confidently tow 6000 lb, have seating for 7 (albeit 2 kids), offer 25 mpg on the freeway with AWD, and handle superior to most cars on the road. It is a great family car and DD.

#3 · (Edited)
One was fuel economy. But finding not as much as was expecting. Two reliability well we now know how that is turning out due to all the emission problems.
Nothing but problems for some. What was not listed, the eco credit. If that was not part of it, I would not have brought one. Just takes too long to recoup all that extra motor cost.

#5 ·
I originally dipped my toes into the diesel pool in 1986 when I was thinking about taking a job that would have resulted in a much longer commute. So I bought a 1986 VW Jetta Diesel and kept it for 20 years and 300K miles. It was slow, noisy, smelly, smoky, and I loved it. And in the subsequent years I rented a lot of diesels when in Europe on vacation. So when I came back from Singapore in 2012 and was trying to decide on a car to buy, the 335d came to mind as I had become a diesel fuel devotee. As I had also owned a 2002 back in the '70s, the combo was a perfect match. It was either going to be an S4, a 335is, or a 335d. The 335d won out after driving all three (and a lot of other candidates).

#6 ·
Got an error, but it won't let me retry.

My first diesel was a 2002 F-350. Would have had one earlier if I could have afforded it. Next was a 2006 VW Jetta. From now on, I am going to try to have a diesel DD for both my wife and I when it makes sense. And I can't really think of many scenarios where it wont (short commute??). Anyway, the only box I didn't tic was the Lower Emissions. It wasn't any part of my decision, just a side benefit of being more efficient than it's counterparts. I try to convert my petrol friends on a daily basis.

#7 ·
Economy/reliability: After burning through several econo-boxes on a 120 mi daily commute, I decided to look into VW tdi back in 2001. My daughter still drives the car I bought that Sep and it has around 350k mi, gets around 45mpg.
Performance: espectially compared to the 4 cyl gassers, the low end grunt is impressive. Being able to release the clutch with your foot off the go pedal illustrates the big difference. The torque is available where you use it every day.

That was all with old technology. I know the new diesels have improved on both performance and economy, but I think the technology that enabled those improvements comes at the cost of reliability. I'm going to be buying a 328d in the next year or so, so I'll be able to judge this for myself first hand.

#8 ·
I have had 5 diesel cars and boats over the years starting with a 1960 180db that wouldn't do over 70 mph but I drove it across country 8 times with just one problem -- the crank shaft pulley came off in Rollo Mo. and I found it, the nut that held it, and fixed it in the parking lot of a church with the tool kit that came with the car! But I digress.....I agree the new ones have sacrificed reliability and I believe longevity for emissions. Not a bad trade off in this emissions concerned day and age, but I would not own one now without a full warranty.:angel:

#9 ·
The practical:

For the X5: With Eco credit the lease payment was less than a comparably equipped gas model. It wasn't significantly slower than the gas model, and gets 25% better real world MPG. It also goes more than 500 miles between fill-ups.

The 535d (which I have not taken delivery of): No eco credit, but not significantly more expensive (less than 3%). Again, not appreciably slower than the gas variant, but much more efficient and much higher range. Also, a major feat of engineering to have an AWD, midsize luxury sedan that is as fast in a straight line as a Porsche Boxter, and as efficient as a Honda Civic.

The hard to quantify:

There is an aspect of rebelliousness to diesel ownership. There is something special about owning a diesel. Even if it's a make and model that's not very unique, the diesel variant typically feels like the special version. It's the variant that you are least likely to see out on the road, for the most part (Jetta wagons excluded). This is obviously not true in Europe, where fuel taxes have forced everyone to pay much greater attention to how much it actually costs to run their vehicles, but in this country, diesel passenger vehicle ownership is a pretty exclusive club.

And it's very subtle and understated, unlike some hybrids. Those who actually know cars will recognize you've got a diesel and probably think more of you, and those who don't know much about cars will have no idea it's a diesel.

#10 ·
I wanted to upgrade to something more comfortable for my daily 125 mi commute from a 1998 Audi A4 1,9TDi. So I after lots of testdriving Audis, MBs and BMWs I finally found what I wanted in the BMW E65 7-series with the 40d 3.9L V8 diesel in which I get about 28mpg with 258hp and 442ftlb as well as great comfort. Been driving this one for three years and about 94k miles now and plan on keeping it for another 4-5 years until prices on the 750xd drops below €30000. 381hp, 550ftlb and getting 37mpg! :thumbup:

#11 ·
Because a 530D is faster than a 535 Petrol. Oodles of torque, so it delivers that power in a very relaxed way. (Don't buy this car if you want one that sounds or feels fast, only if you want one that just IS fast)

And I can get 50mpg on a run. And I even average 40mpg. In a 535 petrol I would get 25mpg average if I was lucky.

I probably could not afford to run a petrol car, but in any case it was a positive choice to have the diesel anyway for that "oomph".

#13 ·
Oodles of torque, so it delivers that power in a very relaxed way. (Don't buy this car if you want one that sounds or feels fast, only if you want one that just IS fast)
Noticed this with our X5 as well. My '02 F-350 with some mods would snap your head back. The Q7 diesel I drove felt and sounded more powerful until I looked at the 0-60 times. I was amazed the X5 was faster than the Q7. And it handles 130mph like you're going 75.

emPoWaH - I get the same glazed look. So I've kinda stopped mentioning diesel in conversations unless asked. I simply let the MPG's do the talking. Have friends with nearly an identical model with the 3.0i and they keep asking me what my MPG's are. It makes them mad every time, but I told them before they bought to look very closely at diesel. Even offered for them to drive ours. I smile inside while have a concerned look for them on my face.

#12 ·
Main reason was cost-of-ownership:

1) Depreciation: The E350 BlueTEC had a slightly higher MSRP than the gas model, but its residual was 5% higher over a 24-month lease, so payments ended up being $100+ per month less.

2) Fuel: Here, diesel costs the same as premium, which the gas E350 requires anyway. Sometimes it's a few cents higher, sometimes it's the same as regular unleaded. So a wash. We've averaged 25 MPG in suburban driving over the past 7,000 miles, exactly its EPA combined rating. The EPA rating for the gas model is 23 MPG combined. At 800 miles per month, diesel saves us about $12/month.

3) Maintenance: We're doing a 24-month lease, so we only need to pay for one Service A midway. The BlueTECs require an AdBlue refill, which hopefully will not cost more than $100 extra. I'll shop around, but that's the wildcard.

Personally, I like the novelty of driving around in a diesel passenger car. I like the character, from the put-put-put sound at idle to the FedEx van noises it makes when accelerating gently. The enthusiast in me thinks it's cooler than the gas car, and surely people will find me more interesting to talk to at dinner parties as a result, though usually, when I get to the best part ("It's like a German taxi!"), they're so cross they've stopped listening. But that's only because they're jealous of the type of fuel combusted in my car's engine, which is odd because diesels are so unpretentious...

Oh, the torque is pretty nice as well. Driving a powerful diesel is so effortless.

#14 ·
I had a F250 King Ranch 09. I hated that truck. It did not have the pull many talk about or that feel in the X5d. You could pull out on the road floor it and it
went but nothing to go hey about. Now I did drive a GMC before buying and that truck would spin the wheels if floored. I went with the Ford because of the
better looking interior and exterior over gov't motors. MPG was a joke too it might have gotten 12mpg hwy. Ford and dealers knew this but nothing could do.
Yeah they will pull a mobile house down the road, but not in comfort for its passengers

So was a little hesitant on the X5d. But salesman kept saying you got to drive it. I do like it, has all the options, color wanted etc. But at end of 4
going to leary to keep it. Hoping in 4 BMW has a fix to keep them going out of warranty and not costing a fortune.

#15 ·
Yeah, 2003 to 2010 were not so good years for the Ford Diesel. But I am hoping to replace my '02 with a late model in the next couple years. I think Ford has THE truck right now if you need a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel.

But I really didn't buy the X5 for pulling power, although there is another thread that shows it does pretty well.

#21 ·
I looked very closely at the diesel this time, but..

1. I have a short daily commute (20 miles roundtrip)
2. I don't really drive a lot of miles (right about 15K a year, though - would you consider that high?)
3. Two dealers didn't have a single current diesel 5 series model to test (just a few 3 series)

4. We have a bit of an issue with diesel availability, and I'll explain because I'm curious what others have..

- lots of stations HAVE diesel, but it's "for offroad use only." You don't know this until you stop and look.
- several stations have regular highway diesel, but only one pump
- when I filled up a 3 series diesel loaner, I had to wait in line behind a huge commercial vehicle
- many stations have NONE. I don't really think this is a big problem overall compared to the others, though.

Also, the loaner 3 series diesel was fine but didn't really impress me. I don't think it 'subtracts' from the gasoline version, but for my needs it doesn't make a lot of sense.

#23 ·
I haven't lived in an area where diesel pumps weren't prevalent. I guess it's mainly due to growing up in a CO farming community, then moving to TX for a short time, back to CO and now Europe. Sorry it's such a hassle for you.

Yeah 15k miles a year is pretty low for today's standards, although insurance would like to think otherwise.

#25 ·
Oh, I know all about that... Wanted to post a sign on the pump stating "if filling up with gasoline please use gasoline only pumps when available. Diesel only available on xx pumps". It may be just ignorant people not paying attention and taking what are generally the easiest pumps to access because they expect big trucks there. Best place in CO where I last lived for diesel was at the Safeway, but it was a mess to get in and out of there during "rush hour" with the small lot they had. Many a time I considered looking into putting my own station in that had totally separate diesel and gasoline pumps with better ingress and egress.

#26 ·
Have been driving diesels since '86. Rarely have fill up problems anywhere I have traveled.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#29 ·
Have been driving diesels since '86. Rarely have fill up problems anywhere I have traveled.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I remember the 80's and finding diesel if was not on a major road. Took a new
GMC diesel family had to east Texas. LOL Well on the way one tank quit working.
and running on vapors in the other. Every small town did not have diesel unless
could find a trucking company. Finally got into college station, how
made it still do not know. So off the beaten path was hard.

Than rest of the way kept smelling diesel. When got to families place came to find
a fuel line broke and diesel was pumping all over the engine. Why it did not catch on
fire another mystery. I never drove that diesel again out of town. We got off on a
bad foot

#28 ·
I've yet to purchase, but I'll definitely be getting a diesel, and here's why. Despite the initial price premium, I'm purchasing it for the long haul. There is something that appeals to both my rational/emotional sides to drive a vehicle that has plenty of kick that also delivers superior economy. I also can't discount the "vote with your dollars" aspect of the purchase of a diesel BMW. I feel very strongly about the technology and efficiency behind the product BMW is bringing to our shores — the purchase of a petrol engine would simply not reflect what I want to see in the US marketplace.

#32 ·
I've yet to purchase, but I'll definitely be getting a diesel, and here's why. Despite the initial price premium, I'm purchasing it for the long haul. There is something that appeals to both my rational/emotional sides to drive a vehicle that has plenty of kick that also delivers superior economy. I also can't discount the "vote with your dollars" aspect of the purchase of a diesel BMW. I feel very strongly about the technology and efficiency behind the product BMW is bringing to our shores - the purchase of a petrol engine would simply not reflect what I want to see in the US marketplace.
Total agreement!:thumbup: When was the 1st year for the diesel to reappear here in the US?

Dave:angel:

#36 ·
Civic Hybrid was killing my soul

I have a 150 mile trip to the office once a week or so. That ends up being a 500 mile drive over the course of three days.

I am getting 36 mpg despite my driving like I stole the car.

I do it all without stopping for fuel.

I do it with just about as much usable performance as you can really take advantage of.

The 335d is a freaking miracle car as far as I am concerned.

Turbo + Diesel is amazing.

My life is too short to spend that much time in my car and have it be anything less than the Ultimate Driving Machine.

#37 ·
When I was shopping for cars, I wanted to be a responsible human and get a car that would achieve 30MPG minimum. But I also wanted something with some performance and great handling. The pickin's were slim. I strongly considered a Mini Cooper Clubman S. One day I got a promotional mailer from BMW offering a $50 gas card for test driving a 335d. I had never considered a diesel. I thought, why not give it a go? Within a minute of getting on the road in the D, I was in love. There is no better combination of fuel economy and performance (except Tesla Model S).

#38 ·
I had never considered a diesel. I thought, why not give it a go? Within a minute of getting on the road in the D, I was in love.
More Americans need to do just that. Compare apples to apples. Drive the ___i, then the ___d. It's hard to do that because so few diesel variations of cars exist, but if BMW and VW's diesel sales sky rocketed, the other auto manufacturers would take notice and would hopefully take steps to get their diesel powered vehicles to the US. It's starting to gain popularity, but so much more could be done!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.