Consumer reports: Caddy CTS is better then the 5 series

by Bernie McGroarty on October 2, 2013, 2:07 pm
Recently Consumer Reports drove the redesigned Cadillac CTS. They thought is was quite good, to quote "it's a fantastic car to drive, a joy." The reviewer pegged it as a better driving sport sedan than Audi, BMW and Mercedes. That's a pretty big statement.

The new CTS is several hundred pounds lighter than the previous one. It's also 5 inches longer, which means it now competes directly with the BMW 5 Series. The model tested was the V Sport that packs a twin turbo 3.6 liter V6 producing an impressive 420 horsepower. Add in a high quality interior, a boost in rear leg room and it seems like a contender. What I'm wondering is, would you choose the Cadillac over a 5 Series?




Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










29 responses to Consumer reports: Caddy CTS is better then the 5 series

mdsbuc commented:
October 2, 2013, 5:05 pm

I chose the 2nd generation CTS over the F10. If I were still shopping that category I'd probably choose the Cadillac again. My CTS was a very fine car, and the new one is supposed to be many steps above it.

On the other hand, the F30 I bought this year is just slightly smaller than my old E60. The old E60 resides in a very soft spot of my heart, the best car I ever owned to this point. The new 3er may take over that spot, beating the E60 in many but not all categories.
WannabeX5 commented:
October 3, 2013, 11:52 am

If it is anything like the ATS, it will be a hit. I absolutely LOVE the ATS from a driving standpoint. That car feels so light on its feet and nimble. Just a joy to flog on a twisty road.

I think Cadillac is doing a great job these days. Their own unique style and presence, and a driving experience that is as equally engaging as the visuals.
Jealousofmywife commented:
October 3, 2013, 12:01 pm

Agreed. The ATS with the magneto-heterosexual suspension (or whatever they call it) is awesome! The biggest drawback in that car is the backseat. It's nearly worthless. I'm a taller guy, so I need to move the seat all the way back. If you do that, there is literally about 2 inches between the back of the drivers seat and the rear seat.
The 3 series ha much better interior room. But if you thing of the ATS as a coupe and not a family sedan, its fantastic


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
crazy4trains commented:
October 4, 2013, 9:39 am

If they weren't so butt-ugly. I love a car with straight, smooth lines but the Caddy just takes that to the extreme. Might grow on me though!!!
cwsqbm commented:
October 4, 2013, 10:23 am

Who'd a thought, say just 10 years ago, that Cadillac would get such praise on a BMW board. Its a sign of both how much Cadillac has improved, and how BMW has lost its way.
GermanRoots commented:
October 4, 2013, 10:25 am

Never!!!! It might perform well, but it is a Cadillac...a brand that is dying with its generation and one I predict will be gone in 10 years. Not to mention it doesn't match the BMW styling & quality materials. In my view, there is not a lot of separation between the CTS and the Chevy Impala on the interior. This is one brand that will never be for me.
mdsbuc commented:
October 4, 2013, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRoots View Post
Never!!!! It might perform well, but it is a Cadillac...a brand that is dying with its generation and one I predict will be gone in 10 years. Not to mention it doesn't match the BMW styling & quality materials. In my view, there is not a lot of separation between the CTS and the Chevy Impala on the interior. This is one brand that will never be for me.
Well, a lot of writers for the car mags disagree with you, as do I. The previous CTS-V out performed the E60 M5 at Nurburgring. The F10 M5 is a boat compared to the E60. This latest generation of the CTS-V will outperform the last one and will kill the F10 M5. Styling is subjective and I like both classic BMW styling and the edgy "Art and Science" design language of Cadillac. To compare the CTS interior to the Chevy Impala is a total joke. Cadillac sales are showing great gains for reason and will be competing for decades to come.
GermanRoots commented:
October 4, 2013, 11:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Well, a lot of writers for the car mags disagree with you, as do I. The previous CTS-V out performed the E60 M5 at Nurburgring. The F10 M5 is a boat compared to the E60. This latest generation of the CTS-V will outperform the last one and will kill the F10 M5. Styling is subjective and I like both classic BMW styling and the edgy "Art and Science" design language of Cadillac. To compare the CTS interior to the Chevy Impala is a total joke. Cadillac sales are showing great gains for reason and will be competing for decades to come.
Disagree with what? Me owning one? Like I said...it may perform, but I will never own one. There is a generation of consumers in their 50's and 60's that think highly of the brand. However, there are a lot of 30 and 40 year olds that will never own one because they think of it as a brand for old people. I am one of them! You're right about styling being subjective...to me all GM's share the same AC Delco inspired electronic elements that just look cheap to me. Sorry if this offends you...just sharing my honest opinion...as we are all entitled to do.
usaret commented:
October 4, 2013, 11:25 am

I'm not impressed with shoehorning a 6.2L pushrod engine in the CTS-V (too crude for my taste) but I do like the standard CTS.

If they'll stop rebadging trucks I'll like the marque even better.
AutoUnion commented:
October 4, 2013, 11:46 am

Go Caddy, but it's just hilarious that they're ONLY showing off the top-spec VSport model right now.

The rest of the engine lineup is lackluster, compared to the German equivalents.
captainaudio commented:
October 4, 2013, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRoots View Post
Disagree with what? Me owning one? Like I said...it may perform, but I will never own one. There is a generation of consumers in their 50's and 60's that think highly of the brand. However, there are a lot of 30 and 40 year olds that will never own one because they think of it as a brand for old people. I am one of them! You're right about styling being subjective...to me all GM's share the same AC Delco inspired electronic elements that just look cheap to me. Sorry if this offends you...just sharing my honest opinion...as we are all entitled to do.
50 and 60 year olds are Baby Boomers and did not grow up aspiring to own Cadillacs. Nostalgia cars for the Boomers are Muscle Cars, Pony Cars, British Roadsters, etcetera.

Average age of a CTS-V buyer is about the same as a 3 Series buyer.

I test drove a CTS-V with the GM magnetic shocks. That technology is absolutely state of the art. I did not find the interior at all cheap looking.

CA


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
AggieKnight commented:
October 5, 2013, 12:10 am

I'll be interested to try it. Recently, I had a based model CTS as a rental car and it was awful. And by awful, I mean - I had 6 rentals cars in a span of 3 weeks from travel, and it was easily the worst.
eazy commented:
October 5, 2013, 3:35 pm

This new cts has corrected 2 issues that I had with the ats, the dashboard design & the rear seat.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
HokieXDriver commented:
October 6, 2013, 2:19 pm

Sure, I'm an American, I would consider an American car. But the problem is the dealer network. Most GM dealers, even Cadillac, are real old-school types, the kind you read about at Edmunds Confessions of a Car Salesman. I hate that experience. At least my purchasing BMW dealer understands the internet and how to conduct business by email.

Also the interior styling of the Cadillacs doesn't do it for me, particularly the center console. Looks too much like a Toyota minivan.
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 6, 2013, 11:43 pm

I usually agree with the liberal weenies from CR, but they have it SO WRONG with this review. First off it's a Cadillac, you know the brand that has a median ownership age of 75. Driven by men in Florida retirement communities that have catchy names like Del Bocca Vista. Folks that usually make the early bird special.

And it's a Cadillac, the brand that's made in Detroit by union labor that consumers have to worry that might've got stuck with a Monday or Friday car.

Someone mentioned how bad the dealers are. Go to a New Jersey Cadillac dealer and you'll be shocked- it's a scene out of the Sopranos. The most unprofessional group of knuckle draggers that you could imagine having parts in a B movie.

I test drove the CTS and ATS- very unattractive cars in my opinion, although I will say that they look better than they use to. They both drove like couches on wheels.

And for CR to compare it to the luxury German brands? Give me a break. Next they should take a Buick out for a spin and tell us how tight the ride was- just like an M5. LOL
BestCS commented:
October 7, 2013, 12:57 pm

The 5 series isn't all that great with the emphasis on fuel economy, soft ride, and all that practical stuff. But the CTS? That be one ugly ride!

Anyway, nothing beats my 1 series M-Edition Sports Pkg!
eazy commented:
October 7, 2013, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
I usually agree with the liberal weenies from CR, but they have it SO WRONG with this review. First off it's a Cadillac, you know the brand that has a median ownership age of 75. Driven by men in Florida retirement communities that have catchy names like Del Bocca Vista. Folks that usually make the early bird special.

And it's a Cadillac, the brand that's made in Detroit by union labor that consumers have to worry that might've got stuck with a Monday or Friday car.

Someone mentioned how bad the dealers are. Go to a New Jersey Cadillac dealer and you'll be shocked- it's a scene out of the Sopranos. The most unprofessional group of knuckle draggers that you could imagine having parts in a B movie.

I test drove the CTS and ATS- very unattractive cars in my opinion, although I will say that they look better than they use to. They both drove like couches on wheels.

And for CR to compare it to the luxury German brands? Give me a break. Next they should take a Buick out for a spin and tell us how tight the ride was- just like an M5. LOL
Dude you are so wrong I so many fronts.

1. caddy dealers are much better than before. GM is pushing dealers to build exclusive showroom for Cadillac
2. Many autowriters pick the last CTSV over the M5 and it was not just the CR journalist.
3. your BMW was put together by a more powerful labor union than the UAW.
4. As of now theirs no age difference between a BMW owner and a caddy owner. The best selling car in the florida retirement community is not a Caddy but a Lexus.
usaret commented:
October 9, 2013, 11:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
I usually agree with the liberal weenies from CR, but they have it SO WRONG with this review. First off it's a Cadillac, you know the brand that has a median ownership age of 75. Driven by men in Florida retirement communities that have catchy names like Del Bocca Vista. Folks that usually make the early bird special.

And it's a Cadillac, the brand that's made in Detroit by union labor that consumers have to worry that might've got stuck with a Monday or Friday car.

Someone mentioned how bad the dealers are. Go to a New Jersey Cadillac dealer and you'll be shocked- it's a scene out of the Sopranos. The most unprofessional group of knuckle draggers that you could imagine having parts in a B movie.

I test drove the CTS and ATS- very unattractive cars in my opinion, although I will say that they look better than they use to. They both drove like couches on wheels.

And for CR to compare it to the luxury German brands? Give me a break. Next they should take a Buick out for a spin and tell us how tight the ride was- just like an M5. LOL
The mental images I formed from your post were awesome! You really made my day.
AutoUnion commented:
October 9, 2013, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
I usually agree with the liberal weenies from CR, but they have it SO WRONG with this review. First off it's a Cadillac, you know the brand that has a median ownership age of 75. Driven by men in Florida retirement communities that have catchy names like Del Bocca Vista. Folks that usually make the early bird special.

And it's a Cadillac, the brand that's made in Detroit by union labor that consumers have to worry that might've got stuck with a Monday or Friday car.

Someone mentioned how bad the dealers are. Go to a New Jersey Cadillac dealer and you'll be shocked- it's a scene out of the Sopranos. The most unprofessional group of knuckle draggers that you could imagine having parts in a B movie.

I test drove the CTS and ATS- very unattractive cars in my opinion, although I will say that they look better than they use to. They both drove like couches on wheels.

And for CR to compare it to the luxury German brands? Give me a break. Next they should take a Buick out for a spin and tell us how tight the ride was- just like an M5. LOL
Grow up. This isn't 1990 anymore
07 E63650i commented:
October 9, 2013, 10:02 pm

As good as Cadillac is getting, I still wouldn't buy their cars. It's just a rebranded GM car. Cadillac's designs were just not for me.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 10, 2013, 1:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
The mental images I formed from your post were awesome! You really made my day.
I'm flattered that you appreciate my humor.
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 10, 2013, 1:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy View Post
Dude you are so wrong I so many fronts.

1. caddy dealers are much better than before. GM is pushing dealers to build exclusive showroom for Cadillac
2. Many autowriters pick the last CTSV over the M5 and it was not just the CR journalist.
3. your BMW was put together by a more powerful labor union than the UAW.
4. As of now theirs no age difference between a BMW owner and a caddy owner. The best selling car in the florida retirement community is not a Caddy but a Lexus.
And here's someone who doesn't appreciate my humor- that's okay.

1. I see you're from The Garden State like me. Please go to the Cadillac dealer on Route 22 East in North Plainfield- near Sears. One guy has a bad rug on, another has a comb over, they are inarticulate and uneducated and OLD. It's embarrassing. Please tell me if you feel differently.

2. You can't be serious

3. Maybe, but at least they're hard workers and work for a company engineers great cars. The UAW and greedy car executives- mostly the UAW- is why people like me have trouble trusting anything that Detroit makes. Still have bad memories of all the terrible cars my parents owned.

4. This I believe. I was injecting a Seinfeld episode into my comments

I test dove the ATS and CTS 6 months ago. The best Cadillacs I've ever driven. I agree they've come a long way. They still have a long way to go.

Everyone, please go look at these cars and decide yourself. Test drive them. Use the reviews as merely one persons opinion.
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 10, 2013, 1:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
As good as Cadillac is getting, I still wouldn't buy their cars. It's just a rebranded GM car. Cadillac's designs were just not for me.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I really don't like the way Cadillacs look either. Front end in particular is very unattractive.
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 10, 2013, 1:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
Sure, I'm an American, I would consider an American car. But the problem is the dealer network. Most GM dealers, even Cadillac, are real old-school types, the kind you read about at Edmunds Confessions of a Car Salesman. I hate that experience. At least my purchasing BMW dealer understands the internet and how to conduct business by email.

Also the interior styling of the Cadillacs doesn't do it for me, particularly the center console. Looks too much like a Toyota minivan.
Excellent commentary.

X3's and X5's are built in South Carolina by American Labor.
KSilver2000 commented:
October 10, 2013, 8:14 pm

This past year so far, we've bought both a e82 135i and a Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium, which comes with the magnetic ride (and very nice red carbon fiber interior accents). After test driving both MY2013 535's and 335's, I have to say that the ATS outperforms the 535 and 335 in steering and handling. Although, I still prefer the more compact 135i. The electro steering in the new BMWs reminds me of how I felt while driving a Lexus IS. Not good.

Regarding the Cadillac styling, it is all subject but I personally like the way they designed the LED lights on the front. If the new CTS V-Sport has magnetic ride, along with its TT 3.6 engine, it will definitely be a beast compared to top trim 5-series. If I remember correctly, I remember reading research data that showed the average age of Cadillac buyers to be only a few years older than BMW and comparable to Lexus - Mercedes buyers were definitely the oldest among luxury brands.

The one thing I despise, though, is the CUE system. I would take iDrive over it any day. The CUE just doesn't respond quickly or accurately.

To those knocking the Cadillac brand, I suggest taking a test drive. You will definitely be impressed.
Jealousofmywife commented:
October 10, 2013, 9:09 pm

I agree. CUE, in my limited time with the system, was quite slow to respond.

For those who say they have driven an ATS or CTS and thought they handled poorly, I'm guessing the model you drove did not have the magnetic suspension.
I agree that without that suspension package, the handling is "just ok."
But there's a world of difference when the car has that suspension. That suspension is key.
I wouldn't consider a Cadillac without them; just like I'd never buy a new BMW without the adaptive headlights and sport seats.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
eazy commented:
October 10, 2013, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
And here's someone who doesn't appreciate my humor- that's okay.

1. I see you're from The Garden State like me. Please go to the Cadillac dealer on Route 22 East in North Plainfield- near Sears. One guy has a bad rug on, another has a comb over, they are inarticulate and uneducated and OLD. It's embarrassing. Please tell me if you feel differently.

2. You can't be serious

3. Maybe, but at least they're hard workers and work for a company engineers great cars. The UAW and greedy car executives- mostly the UAW- is why people like me have trouble trusting anything that Detroit makes. Still have bad memories of all the terrible cars my parents owned.

4. This I believe. I was injecting a Seinfeld episode into my comments

I test dove the ATS and CTS 6 months ago. The best Cadillacs I've ever driven. I agree they've come a long way. They still have a long way to go.

Everyone, please go look at these cars and decide yourself. Test drive them. Use the reviews as merely one persons opinion.
Your comments are so 1990 that why it not funny.

1. I have you been to princeton bmw they treat the customer like crap and caddy dealers on par with bmw dealers. If you want a real good customer experience buy a lexus

2. yes I am serious
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
http://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-benz...ison-test.html
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...?click=main_sr

3. UAW has made some good car and they make the same money as nonunion North America auto workers.

Cadillac changed a lot since the 1990's
Bmwlvr60 commented:
October 10, 2013, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealousofmywife View Post
I agree. CUE, in my limited time with the system, was quite slow to respond.

For those who say they have driven an ATS or CTS and thought they handled poorly, I'm guessing the model you drove did not have the magnetic suspension.
I agree that without that suspension package, the handling is "just ok."
But there's a world of difference when the car has that suspension. That suspension is key.
I wouldn't consider a Cadillac without them; just like I'd never buy a new BMW without the adaptive headlights and sport seats.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I don't know if the 2 Cadillacs I test drove had magnetic suspension. I'll go back and check it out. Fair point. I'd like to test their best suspension models.
Jealousofmywife commented:
October 10, 2013, 11:56 pm

If Ferrari contracted Delphi to utilize the same magnetic suspension technology used in Corvettes and Cadillacs, you can assume it makes a difference.
... And it does. A big one.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app