10 Interesting Features of the 4 Series Convertible

by Bernie McGroarty on October 14, 2013, 2:54 pm

The 4 Series has quite a few interesting features that make it special, not just your average convertible, but the newest top-down Ultimate Driving Machine.

Here are 10 interesting features about the 4 Series Convertible.
  1. New electrically adjustable seats, with integrated retractable seat belts.
  2. Both standard and optional sport seats can be equipped with neck warmers, with 3 temperature settings, for drive and front passenger (as part of the Cold Weather Package)
  3. When the top is down, the temperature setting is automatically controlled in relation to the outdoor temp and speed of the vehicle.
  4. Interior noise level has been reduced by up to 2db over the previous model, due to a sound-absorbing headliner.
  5. Top lowers in a mere 20 seconds and can also be lowered at speeds up to 11 mph.
  6. More trunk room and wider access to the luggage compartment with electro-hydraulic loading assistance system which raises and positions the folded top in the trunk to ensure maximum utilization of the 7.8 cu.ft.(220 liter) of storage space. When the top is up, 13 cu.ft.(370 liters) of space is available. .7 cu.ft (20 liters) more than the 3 Series Convertible.
  7. Roll bars behind the rear seats that extend in less than 200ms in critical situations
  8. Changes to the handling to suit the convertible: The springs and damping have been set up precisely for the convertible. Fine tuning of camber angle and roll center, as well as strengthening in the front undercarriage to enhance steering precision and feedback.
  9. Torsional rigidity has been increased by 40% compared to it's predecessor. It's also 44 lbs. lighter, depending on the model, even though the vehicle is larger.
  10. The 428i convertible can also be configured with xDrive intelligent all wheel drive.

What else do you find interesting about the 4 Series Convertible?

Read all about the new 4 Series Convertible here.

Check out the 4 Series Convertible photo gallery here.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

17 responses to 10 Interesting Features of the 4 Series Convertible

mrstas commented:
October 15, 2013, 7:03 am

If #10 is real, I think I just found my new car.

I've been dreaming of a metal-roof convertible with AWD for ever. Now, if only BMW makes a 435 version so I can also get a manual transmission...
windsor027 commented:
October 15, 2013, 7:36 am

I think my next 3-series will be the 435i convertible. I think the technology and safety is strong enough now to be a serious contender. I wonder what the lease rates will be for this compared to the 335i
dugbug commented:
October 15, 2013, 9:22 am

I so want this
DGF commented:
October 16, 2013, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstas View Post
If #10 is real, I think I just found my new car.

I've been dreaming of a metal-roof convertible with AWD for ever. Now, if only BMW makes a 435 version so I can also get a manual transmission...
I've seen enough semi-official announcements to make me believe this is for real.

My ideal would be a 435 xDrive convertible (auto) - I keep seeing statements that xDrive will "be available at launch" on the 428 - I'm hoping that this alludes to the 435 getting the AWD treatment sometime later on.

I'm hoping that the lack of a 435 xDrive announcement is due to some marketing or production-staging consideration, versus some insurmountable technical obstacle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Keepittrill commented:
October 16, 2013, 12:39 pm

The Z4s after 2011 can raise and lower their tops at 25mph and that also takes about 20 seconds. Shouldn't a soft top be faster?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
beden1 commented:
October 16, 2013, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
The Z4s after 2011 can raise and lower their tops at 25mph and that also takes about 20 seconds. Shouldn't a soft top be faster?

My Porsche has a soft top that takes 12 seconds to raise or lower into position.
vercetti0 commented:
October 16, 2013, 12:44 pm

Quote:

The 4 series is a hard top though.
Keepittrill commented:
October 16, 2013, 12:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercetti0 View Post
The 4 series is a hard top though.
Yeah, totally just realized that like 5 seconds ago haha I was on my way here to correct that

EstorilF30 commented:
October 16, 2013, 1:13 pm

Can the 435 convertible not be ordered with xDrive?
DGF commented:
October 16, 2013, 1:42 pm

Quote:

The 4 series has a 'hard soft top' that is longer/wider and heavier than the Z4's - the frontal area when raised will be greater too. IIRC, wind resistance is proportional to the area and increases ^2 with wind speed - even a few extra mph can dramatically bump up the loading.

....but I still want one!

[Sorry - only just spotted that you retracted your comment about it being a soft top.....pun intended!]
Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
October 16, 2013, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30 View Post
Looks like the 428 is the only one with the option so far.
DGF commented:
October 16, 2013, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilF30 View Post
All I've seen are statements saying that "at launch" only the 428 convertible will have the option of xDrive - I'm desperate to see a 435 announcement....please find one for me!
irianjim commented:
October 16, 2013, 2:48 pm

Boy, it is really hard to sort through all the marketing and try to interpret what the real improvements are from the 3 series to the 4 series convertible. I don't have the attention span to go through the article in detail and make comparisons on one versus the other. To me, the key items are:

1. 8 speed transmission and improved gas mileage
2. Increased chassis rigidity
3. New 4 banger vs. old inline 6 (428)
4. Neck warmers
5. Many more hi-tech items: improved I-drive, more safety features available (active blind spot detection, etc.)
6. Air deflector included
7. x-drive available

Most other things I noticed I would classify as minor and incremental improvements (or at least not significant to me).

When I compare it to my E93 335i, I certainly see it as a worthy replacement when the time comes, although I may move to the 428 as there is no longer such a performance gap.

I think it is a very attractive car. I wouldn't say it is better or worse looking than the current E93, but I really need to see it in person. I think the marketing pictures may distort features so you have to see the real thing.

The only negative for me is that it is actually bigger than the E93, which is plenty big. I am anxious to see the 2 series as well. I've got lots of time as my E93 is only one year old and prices will be more reasonable in two years.

Short version is I love the car. I just have to laugh a bit with all of the marketing spiel and take it with a grain of salt. Sorting through it is tough. My CA has already talked to me about trading up. I told him we would talk when they were a little less proud of it (i.e. not at MSRP)

My $.02 anyway.
Saberwalk commented:
October 16, 2013, 7:56 pm

Don't forget the new seats which look pretty sweet. I assume the stance is also lower and wider than the E93, being based on the 4 chassis. I definitely am considering the 435 vert, but still waiting on the M235. Not a convertible, but curious to see how that car will stack up. Right now, if I get the 4 vert, then will have to "borrow" the wife's X1 for my bike trips. With the 235, can use a roof rack--just cannot see putting a hitch rack on the convertible.
Keepittrill commented:
October 16, 2013, 7:59 pm

Now that I looked at the car a little more, I retract my previous statement. It's definitely not ugly. I think it's just because I'm not a fan of 4/5 seater convertibles. It looks significantly better than the E93.

Michael Schott commented:
October 16, 2013, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
I've seen enough semi-official announcements to make me believe this is for real.

My ideal would be a 435 xDrive convertible (auto) - I keep seeing statements that xDrive will "be available at launch" on the 428 - I'm hoping that this alludes to the 435 getting the AWD treatment sometime later on.

I'm hoping that the lack of a 435 xDrive announcement is due to some marketing or production-staging consideration, versus some insurmountable technical obstacle. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Can I ask why you want xDrive if you live in Silicon Valley?
DGF commented:
October 16, 2013, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Can I ask why you want xDrive if you live in Silicon Valley?
...a very reasonable question!

I live in the hills above SV (3000') and we get snow most years - admittedly it doesn't last long, but we did have 15 inches a few years ago. I also love snowboarding. We have a Chevy Suburban (don't laugh), but I obviously prefer to drive my Bimmer whenever I get the chance - the 435 xDrive convertible would be just about perfect to ditch the office desk and head up to Tahoe.

Maybe I shouldn't try to combine the summer & winter functionalities, but it definitely makes things easier on my marriage!

Dave