The new BMW R 1200 RT.
The new BMW R 1200 RT raises the bar yet again for dynamic touring bikes.
The initials RT have always been synonymous with supremely comfortable, highly dynamic touring on two wheels. With its latest rendering in the form of the R 1200 RT featuring a new drive unit and carefully honed profile, BMW Motorrad is once again showing how things are done when it comes to fusing effortless travel abilities with sporty performance.
More powerful boxer engine with larger centrifugal mass for even greater refinement and smoothness.
Derived from the boxer unit on the BMW R 1200 GS, the new engine produces a peak output of 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and its maximum torque of 125 Nm (92 lb-ft) at 6,500 rpm.
To ready them for use on the new R 1200 RT, the centrifugal masses of both the crankshaft and the alternator were increased, resulting in even smoother engine running. Comfort has been given an additional boost by using a longer secondary transmission ratio to keep the revs lower.
ASC and two riding modes as standard. Riding mode Pro with Hill Start Control as an ex-works option.
For optimum adaptation to the rider’s individual needs, the new R 1200 RT is equipped as standard with two riding modes along with Automatic Stability Control (ASC). The two riding modes, “Rain” and “Road”, allow the R 1200 RT to be adapted to most road conditions. The optional extra Riding mode Pro, meanwhile, includes the additional riding mode “Dynamic” plus the Hill Start Control function. The sporty nature of the R 1200 RT can be experienced to the full in “Dynamic” mode, while Hill Start Control helps to make light work of stopping and starting on an uphill slope.
Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet swift gear changing.
The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro that is available as an option ex-works represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the load and rev speed ranges that are of relevance for riding, resulting not just in even greater comfort but in added dynamism, too.
Even more agile chassis offering superior handling precision and comfort. Dynamic ESA for optimum riding dynamics in any situation as an ex-works option.
The new R 1200 RT features a new, continuous main frame to give it even greater directional stability. And when fitted with the optionally available semi-active suspension BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment), the new R 1200 RT attains unprecedented levels of riding safety, performance and comfort, with the damping being automatically adapted to the prevailing conditions to suit the riding situation and the manoeuvres being carried out.
Optimised comfort, streamlined aerodynamics, more dynamic bodywork and optional LED daytime running light.
Seating comfort and ergonomics have likewise been further improved for rider and passenger alike. The ergonomic triangle formed by the handlebars, seat and footrests has been lowered by 20 millimetres to make it even easier to reach the floor, something which shorter riders and passengers especially will appreciate when manoeuvring or getting on and off the bike. Thanks to their outstanding comfort and effective wind and weather protection, BMW RT models have always been renowned for their excellent long-distance capabilities, now further improved by the addition of an optimised windshield. The front headlight assembly is based on the headlight design featured on the BMW Motorrad K 1600 models and lends the new R 1200 RT a highly dynamic appearance. A safety-enhancing daytime running light can be fitted as an ex-works option.
Multifunctional instrument cluster with TFT colour display, BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer and innovative audio controls.
The instrument cluster has undergone a complete makeover, with the new R 1200 RT now featuring a large 5.7-inch TFT colour display to provide the rider with an even greater wealth of data. This is where the extensive information from the standard-fit BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer can also be called up, for instance. The display is supplemented by the analogue speedometer and rev counter dials. And for the ultimate in touring comfort, the list of available factory-fitted options includes an audio system with innovative operation via the multi-controller.
New colour scheme in three appealing variants.
The model’s dynamism, class and comfort are brought to the fore by three new colour compositions: Quartz blue metallic and Callisto grey metallic matt are combined with the contrasting colour Dark slate metallic matt, while the Ebony metallic finish forms an eye-catching contrast with Monolith metallic matt.
The highlights of the new BMW R 1200 RT:
- Air/liquid-cooled twin-cylinder boxer engine with a displacement of 1,170 cc. Output 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm, maximum torque 125 Nm (92 lb***8209;ft) at 6,500 rpm.
- Crankshaft and alternator with increased centrifugal mass for even smoother engine running.
- Two riding modes (“Rain” and “Road”) plus Automatic Stability Control (ASC).
- Riding mode Pro with “Dynamic” riding mode and Hill Start Control as an option.
- Gear Shift Assistant Pro as an option for added comfort and dynamism when changing gear.
- New chassis with a continuous frame that is even more agile and more comfortable.
- Semi-active suspension Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option.
- New bodywork in more dynamic design.
- Optimised comfort and aerodynamics.
- New, adjustable windshield for even better wind and weather protection.
- New headlight concept.
- LED daytime running light as an option.
- Multifunctional instrument cluster with large TFT colour display.
- BMW Motorrad Pro onboard computer offering a wide range of information.
- Innovative audio controls.
- New colours.
- Optional extras and special accessories made to BMW Motorrad’s customary high standards of quality.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- 2012 328i xdrive wagon reliability
- Coolant Low - Lignt was On - Headasket?? '06 330i
- Paddle shift retrofit query
- Fuel Leak
- tire rumble
- New to BMW and I already have a problem!
- 3 stage intake mod
- HELP...E90 throwing P1447 Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage (DM-TL) Pump Too High During
- Engine Cooling Fan Issue
- BT Audio Streaming