Jeremy Clarkson review of the 435i M-Sport

by Bimmerfest.com Member - Nordique on November 19, 2013, 2:04 pm
”clarkson”

As ever, Jeremy's review is in a special class of its own--and not to be missed. Here are some of the key points about the driving aspects of the 4 Series coupe. You can check out the full review at the link below for the full Clarkson feel.

Even though it's a 3-litre turbocharged straight six, it's producing only 302 brake horsepower. That's 14bhp less than you get from the 3-litre turbocharged straight six in the smaller BMW M135i. What we have, then, is a car that is more expensive than the more practical 3-series and slower than the 1-series. A bad start.

With the 435i you still have the near-perfect weight distribution and an extremely low centre of gravity. The engineers have worked their traditional magic to make everything balanced and just so. It may not be the fastest car in the world but it is extremely rewarding to feel it turn one way as you go round a roundabout and then the other as you leave. Some cars wobble about; some lurch. A BMW just does as it's told.

A BMW also has extremely impressive antilock braking. Many good cars these days are fitted with a system that cuts in too early. It thinks you're panicking and about to crash when you are not. A BMW waits for you to be an inch from the tree before it says, "Excuse me, sir. Can I be of any assistance in these troubling times?"

If you have an Audi or a Mercedes or a Jaguar, you are telling the world that life is treating you well. If you have a BMW these days you're not really saying much of anything at all. You're like the quiet, grey man on the bus. Nobody notices you. And certainly nobody would guess that under your dignified, grown-up clothes, you're wearing a lime-green mankini.

In the 435i you really are, thanks to a little button that changes the characteristics of everything. Most of the time it'll be set to Comfort, but you can go to Sport+, which sharpens up all the important stuff. It's nice. I loved driving this car. I loved being in it as well.

Let's be in no doubt. The 435i is not for everyone. It is not good value and it is no use for showing-off. But if you miss the way Knightsbridge was. Or if you want a getaway car that no one will notice. Or if you are a grown-up. I can't really think of any car that is better.


Check out the full Clarkson review of the 2014 435i M Sport here.

”clarkson”


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










46 responses to Jeremy Clarkson review of the 435i M-Sport

namelessman commented:
November 19, 2013, 2:29 pm

Very interesting read, especially the concluding paragraph:

"Let’s be in no doubt. The 435i is not for everyone. It is not good value and it is no use for showing-off. But if you miss the way Knightsbridge was. Or if you want a getaway car that no one will notice. Or if you are a grown-up. I can’t really think of any car that is better."
beden1 commented:
November 19, 2013, 4:28 pm

Umm! Ho hum I must say. Jeremy was neutral, or maybe just bored. It sounded more like he was reviewing a Toyota rather than a BMW.
Keepittrill commented:
November 19, 2013, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Umm! Ho hum I must say. Jeremy was neutral, or maybe just bored. It sounded more like he was reviewing a Toyota rather than a BMW.
Well, everyone's DOES say that latest BMW sports coupes and sedans drive like Camrys.

I, for one, can't say I think BMW makes many exciting cars anymore.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
need4speed commented:
November 19, 2013, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Well, everyone's DOES say that latest BMW sports coupes and sedans drive like Camrys.

I, for one, can't say I think BMW makes many exciting cars anymore.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sadly I agree. N4S
rayg commented:
November 19, 2013, 6:00 pm

They can't even manage to put a picture of a 435i M Sport on the article reviewing that car?
chiefneil commented:
November 19, 2013, 7:05 pm

I will now picture a lime-green mankini every time someone posts pics of their new 4-series.
SilverX3 commented:
November 19, 2013, 8:06 pm

He said a few years ago Nissan Murano the best AWD....

Don't trust that man...
Keepittrill commented:
November 19, 2013, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
He said a few years ago Nissan Murano the best AWD....

Don't trust that man...
So make a case against the Murano.

Any car, no matter what brand, can be the best in its class.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
beden1 commented:
November 20, 2013, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
He said a few years ago Nissan Murano the best AWD....

Don't trust that man...
I usually agree with Clarkson's reviews. I read the British Top Gear magazine as often as I can and learn quite a bit about cars in general.
chris328 commented:
November 20, 2013, 8:10 am

"If you have an Audi or a Mercedes or a Jaguar, you are telling the world that life is treating you well. If you have a BMW these days you're not really saying much of anything at all. You're like the quiet, grey man on the bus. Nobody notices you. "

Most of what he said seems to confirm how I felt about the F32 without having driven it, I already had an N55 and fairly confident in the engineering of the driving dynamics so I was primarily concerned with how it looked - it just never "clicked" with me like the E92 did. It also was a surprise to hear him say it was quiet - maybe they added more sound dampening for the F32, because the N55 sounded pretty beefy and loud even at stock in my old E92.
dolfan13 commented:
November 20, 2013, 9:10 am

BMW trying to sell more cars to more people.When you have no extremes you fall in the middle,like a Camry.Thats just Jeramy's opinion ,that bimmer looks great.
terrystu commented:
November 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
So make a case against the Murano.

Any car, no matter what brand, can be the best in its class.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Make a case against the Murano? Easy - just drive one.
chris328 commented:
November 20, 2013, 10:55 am

i drove a murano, felt like an F30
SoupermanBMW commented:
December 3, 2013, 1:02 pm

Drove one and didnt really care for it...
rajens00 commented:
December 3, 2013, 1:44 pm

Shares the same interior as the 3 Series which unfortunately has been getting cheaper and cheaper every year. The interiors of my 2009, 2006 & 2002 3 Series were nearly completely padding and leather, including the doors top to bottom. Now they use way too much plastic and it's cheap plastic at that.
f30jojo commented:
December 3, 2013, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajens00 View Post
Shares the same interior as the 3 Series which unfortunately has been getting cheaper and cheaper every year. The interiors of my 2009, 2006 & 2002 3 Series were nearly completely padding and leather, including the doors top to bottom. Now they use way too much plastic and it's cheap plastic at that.
I respectfully disagree

My F30 interior IMO is far better than E90 and far beyond E46 interiors. case in point, when a friend rides with me to lunch (or whereever) in the F30 it's "Da%n this is nice man"... years ago in my E90 (traded), never once did i hear that. in my E60 it's about a 50/50 shot of even a comment. the E60 still has more road presence than any BMW out right now ecxpet for M models and the 6 gran coupe. The F30 looks awesome in your driveway but they seem to be invisible on the roads...
rmjames007 commented:
December 5, 2013, 1:22 am

Very interesting review. He liked it because it was unassuming.
Chris90 commented:
December 5, 2013, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30jojo View Post
I respectfully disagree

My F30 interior IMO is far better than E90 and far beyond E46 interiors. case in point, when a friend rides with me to lunch (or whereever) in the F30 it's "Da%n this is nice man"... years ago in my E90 (traded), never once did i hear that. in my E60 it's about a 50/50 shot of even a comment. the E60 still has more road presence than any BMW out right now ecxpet for M models and the 6 gran coupe. The F30 looks awesome in your driveway but they seem to be invisible on the roads...
He may be referring to the quality, while you're referring to the design. Things you don't notice til you've been in the car for a while.

I can't really say myself - the E90 loaners I get seem really nice to me when I sit in it, although the design is awkward, and the F30 I've only seen in pictures but the interior looks beautiful.

The E60 stands out cause it's butt ugly.
Dr. 328xi commented:
December 5, 2013, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
A BMW waits for you to be an inch from the tree before it says, "Excuse me, sir. Can I be of any assistance in these troubling times?"
Possibly my favorite line in automotive journalism in the last ten years...
Heybuzzz commented:
December 5, 2013, 10:50 am

My new 4 series X Drive is the best driving car I have ever owned. PERIOD

I've owned a C Class and 3 A4's and the BMW 4 hugs to the road/turns like no other.

I've received about 5 random compliments (gas stations, car wash, target parking lot) on the overall appearance in the past 2 weeks and I NEVER revived any compliments on my 06 / 10 A4's... ZERO

So far I'm very happy with the 4. 1000k miles in....
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 11:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuzzz View Post
My new 4 series X Drive is the best driving car I have ever owned. PERIOD

I've owned a C Class and 3 A4's and the BMW 4 hugs to the road/turns like no other.

I've received about 5 random compliments (gas stations, car wash, target parking lot) on the overall appearance in the past 2 weeks and I NEVER revived any compliments on my 06 / 10 A4's... ZERO

So far I'm very happy with the 4. 1000k miles in....
That's because the 4 has a beautiful side profile. Looks like a mini 6. The front isn't for me, but the rest is gorgeous.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Heybuzzz commented:
December 5, 2013, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
That's because the 4 has a beautiful side profile. Looks like a mini 6. The front isn't for me, but the rest is gorgeous.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I have the M Sport front and love the appearance. NOT a fan of the standard front. Ohhh, I also added the M Sport brakes kit. IMO a must have for $600.

I think the biggest visual fault is only have a single exhaust on the 428 model.
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuzzz View Post
I have the M Sport front and love the appearance. NOT a fan of the standard front. Ohhh, I also added the M Sport brakes kit. IMO a must have for $600.

I think the biggest visual fault is only have a single exhaust on the 428 model.
It annoys me that BMW still does that. If Mercedes can put twin pipes on their C300 and Audi put twin pipes on almost all their base models, why can't BMW stop with their asymmetric BS.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chris90 commented:
December 5, 2013, 1:03 pm

Dual exhaust is totally jumped the shark.

rayg commented:
December 5, 2013, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
If Mercedes can put twin pipes on their C300 and Audi put twin pipes on almost all their base models, why can't BMW stop with their asymmetric BS.
Probably to add a visual difference between the x28s and x35s.
bmw325 commented:
December 5, 2013, 1:49 pm

Chris-

I happen to think Mazda is making some of the best looking sedans these days...the 6 for example is arguably a more cohesive design than the F30. And the newest hatchback version of the mazda3 is almost Italian-looking in its details (that's a good thing). So no surprise that they are visually ahead of BMW in some ways including the nicer looking dual exhaust.
mwm1166 commented:
December 5, 2013, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
That's because the 4 has a beautiful side profile. Looks like a mini 6. The front isn't for me, but the rest is gorgeous.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
The front looks more masculine and aggressive than the E9x front....
need4speed commented:
December 5, 2013, 3:01 pm

J.C. is pompus and he doesn't like BMW much, but he is usually makes very good points. I still love the one where he had to eat apple road kill because the M3 out handled the Merc. Too funny. N4S
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
The front looks more masculine and aggressive than the E9x front....
So?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mwm1166 commented:
December 5, 2013, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
So?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I know you're 18, but let me walk you thru this....

Because the front looks more aggressive, I believe it is a better looking front end than the previous generation....
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
I know you're 18, but let me walk you thru this....

Because the front looks more aggressive, I believe it is a better looking front end than the previous generation....
Your condescension isn't needed or appreciated.

Since you're clearly getting up there in years and seem to have trouble reading, let me walk you through this. Pull out your reading glasses and calculator, because it's about to get real complicated...

Looks are subjective.




Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mwm1166 commented:
December 5, 2013, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Your condescension isn't needed or appreciated.

Since you're clearly getting up there in years and seem to have trouble reading, let me walk you through this.

Looks are subjective.

The front of the 4 series is ugly as hell. Even my E89 had a more aggressive/better looking (since you think the two are synonymous) front than your 4.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Lol I'm 30... And didn't show any lack of ability to read. Unlike you who couldn't connect that I was merely stating my subjective opinion on the look of the front end.

I didn't say they are always synonymous, in this case it happens that the more aggressive front end looks better...

I will agree that the E89 your father bought you does have a gret looking front end, one of the best BMW has made in a decade.
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Lol I'm 30... And didn't show any lack of ability to read. Unlike you who couldn't connect that I was merely stating my subjective opinion on the look of the front end.

I didn't say they are always synopsis, in this case it happens that the more aggressive front end looks better...

I will agree that the E89 your father bought you does have a gret looking front end, one of the best BMW has made in a decade.
Honestly, take your passive aggressiveness elsewhere, I don't have time to take it back to middle school with a grown man.

Back on topic.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mwm1166 commented:
December 5, 2013, 4:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepittrill View Post
Honestly, take your passive aggressiveness elsewhere, I don't have time to take it back to middle school with a grown man.

Back on topic.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Passive aggressive? I merely agreed that your Z4 has a nice look to it...The rest of what I wrote was merely factual information...
Keepittrill commented:
December 5, 2013, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
Passive aggressive? I merely agreed that your Z4 has a nice look to it...The rest of what I wrote was merely factual information...
Attachment 411123


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kayani_1 commented:
December 6, 2013, 7:27 am

The F series cars leave a lot to be desired. Its as if BMW engineers designed a nice great looking car with all the right stuff. Then when the bosses saw it they said what were you all thinking we want to make it for masses. Lets water it down in every sense. Lets make it blah compared to the concept version we showed. Lets take out the more polarizing elements of the design and ditch them for example the headlight and tail end of the concept. Then they hired some trophy wife and told her to drive the car and a man with Twinkies for biceps to drive again, once both confirmed that the steering can't be turned with one finger and their arthritis ridden wrists cant deal with the stress of turning a proper steering rack. The BMW engineers were banished and their soul was replaced with engineers that designed the steering rack for Toyota Camry. The trophy wife and Twinkies bicep dude was invited back and they said ahhhh heaven it is just perfect. But what about those enthusiast some one shouted. The answer came lets put a button with sport so it makes them feel like something is happening. Then charge them extra $1-$2k and give them sports + and say it makes it even more sporty. Someone says what about sport ++ and we can charge them $5K for it and the car would make vroom vroom noise....on demand. Is that not what sporty is all about. They said brilliant.......but hold on well save that for H30 next generation.

Let me just stop lol........I am not so sure how bad is it gonna get before BMW realizes this stuff for masses is not working. The masses drive Toytoa Corolla a reliable, inexpensive, fuel efficient daily driver with barely any maintenance cost. Someone knock sense into BMW lets not make cars for masses leave that to Toyota. Make cars that are unique and strong in sport first luxury second flavor as you guys did in the past. Stick to your heritage.
chris328 commented:
December 6, 2013, 10:09 am

Exactly, the F32 is going to be looked back upon as the unforunate result of the economy and paradigm changes at BMW, both in marketing and design. The reason why it looks great from certain angles (side profile, mainly) and not from others is due to the apparent unresolved contention between ideas and possibly separate design teams at BMW. They simply could not come to an agreement, so played it safe, and what we were left with was a compromise of ideals that takes no risks and looks way too similar to the sedan (F30).
Heybuzzz commented:
December 6, 2013, 11:33 am

My F32 handles like a dream.

Tons of compliments on the styling inside and out.

So far I could not be happier.
Chris90 commented:
December 6, 2013, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
Exactly, the F32 is going to be looked back upon as the unforunate result of the economy and paradigm changes at BMW, both in marketing and design. The reason why it looks great from certain angles (side profile, mainly) and not from others is due to the apparent unresolved contention between ideas and possibly separate design teams at BMW. They simply could not come to an agreement, so played it safe, and what we were left with was a compromise of ideals that takes no risks and looks way too similar to the sedan (F30).
Whatever, I think the 435i M Sport is the best looking car BMW has made in years.
Heybuzzz commented:
December 6, 2013, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Whatever, I think the 435i M Sport is the best looking car BMW has made in years.
It def pissssssses on the 3 Series Coupe when it comes to looks and handling.
mwm1166 commented:
December 6, 2013, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuzzz View Post
It def pissssssses on the 3 Series Coupe when it comes to looks and handling.
I couldn't agree with you guys anymore. To me, the F30 was a big improvement in looks over the E90. However, where the promise of the F30 is truly fulfilled is in the F32 coupe. To me, this is the car BMW needed to make.
Christos commented:
December 6, 2013, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Whatever, I think the 435i M Sport is the best looking car BMW has made in years.
+1 to that, it has brought me back to BMW
bmw325 commented:
December 7, 2013, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
+1 to that, it has brought me back to BMW
The key is msport. No sure wtf they were thinking with the standard front bumper. Curious to see how the gran coupe version turns out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Heybuzzz commented:
December 9, 2013, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
The key is msport. No sure wtf they were thinking with the standard front bumper. Curious to see how the gran coupe version turns out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
The 4 Series w/ M Sport steered me away from the A5 with competition/black ops package.

After driving both for I can also say that my 4 handles much better.
beden1 commented:
December 9, 2013, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuzzz View Post
The 4 Series w/ M Sport steered me away from the A5 with competition/black ops package.

After driving both for I can also say that my 4 handles much better.
I agree with you here, but the S5 is another story altogether.
Keepittrill commented:
December 9, 2013, 2:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I agree with you here, but the S5 is another story altogether.
I heard the S5 was really boring to drive?

The RS5 on the other hand...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app