Next Gen 5 Series Spied
-a quick mock up from the Gran Lusso Coupe
The 7th generation BMW 5 Series has been spied out on the roads testing. While the camouflaged tester doesn't show anything too exciting, there are some interesting details as to what is to come. From what I've seen, the new 5 should be lighter and more aerodynamic, with design cues from the Gran Lusso Coupe concept. It would be nice to see a more radical design. The new 5 series will also be available with a variety engines and some exciting new technologies. Check out the rundown below.
- Sleeker, more aerodynamic appearance influenced by the Gran Lusso Coupe concept
- New 'luxury class' platform codenamed OKL. To underpin future 5,6 and 7-series models.
- New platform utilizes a combo of aluminum, steel and carbon fiber parts to reduce weight below 3516 lbs. of today's manual 520i.
- Improved rigidity
- 48 volt electric system to handle added functions
- Semi-autonomous drive system, allows partial hands-off operation
- More sophisticated anti-collision system, including fully autonomous braking, infra-red night-time warning system and LED headlamps
- Plans of Four and Six cylinder engine options.(2.0 and 3.0 liter diesel and petrol units) The 3.0liter diesel will produce near 400bhp. Maybe even 1.5 liter diesel and petrol 3 cylinders for emissions purposes. Possibility of a plug-in hybrid system similar to the i8.
- Newly developed V8 (probably US), seems to be popular here.
- Six-speed manual gearbox combined with lower-end engines. Nine speed ZF engineered auto for the higher output engines.
- Choice of rear wheel drive or optional xDriver four-wheel drive for 2017
- Tweaked version of the twin turbo 4.4 V8, with an advanced direct injection system and improved combustion qualities boosting the output 38hp to 600bhp!
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Rear tires rubbing on freeway when hitting bumps
- Need help buying 328i
- E90 Stock Airbox Mods
- Logic 7
- Active Autowerke Simon 3 Issue...can anyone help?
- Has anyone removed front drivers side fender (e90)
- BmW E90 318i 2.0 M sport
- WTB:Caliper cover
- Is there a way to put the car into neutral without turning the car totally on?