Does the BMW i8 have the coolest key fob ever?

by Bernie McGroarty on January 2, 2014, 3:58 pm
”i8fob”

BMW looks to be covering all the bases with their i8 plug-in hybrid. For $135k you get looks, performance, great fuel economy and gadgets. Everyone loves gadgets! One in particular is the i8's key fob, which could possibly be the coolest fob ever.

Sure this key fob unlocks doors, trunk and starts the car, but if it just did that, well, I wouldn't be telling you about it. The i8 fob has a high resolution screen that shows important information about the car. If you are worried about range, you can check the charge, as well as the remaining miles on the battery. You can even adjust the temperature inside the car before you get in. The fob even has a docking station just in front of the shifter in the i8, to show it off. Bonus!

”i8fob”

Source: Coolmaterial.com

9 responses to Does the BMW i8 have the coolest key fob ever?

tiburonh commented:
January 2, 2014, 11:42 pm

Yeah, but good luck trying to fit that huge thing in your pants pocket without provoking someone into uttering the classic Mae West line "Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
MalibuMafiaV commented:
January 6, 2014, 11:35 am

It definitely looks pretty damn awesome. I see the i8 pass me going the opposite direction on PCH at least 3 times a week when I'm heading to my office. It's lookin good!.
ScorpioAthlete commented:
January 6, 2014, 1:45 pm

I can't wait to have this parked in my garage.
rysky007 commented:
January 6, 2014, 4:09 pm

for such a high tech looking exterior, I would of thought they would at least make the A/C / Heater controls more updated vs looking like its from a 3 series.

Also not sure how I feel about the start button now being next to the shifter.
CameronCrabtree commented:
January 23, 2014, 7:30 am

you would think that screen would get scratched,cracked or damaged in your pocket all time
ddk632 commented:
January 23, 2014, 1:45 pm

BMW will be sure to offer you a protective case for your BMW super key for a nominal fee
Chrispy commented:
February 2, 2014, 5:06 pm

Yeah, it is a really unique key. I never thought of a key to work like that.

It looks like it could be a phone.

Putting this thought out there, make an iPhone app key for cars. Open the app, plug the iPhoe in the dock, and voila the car is started.
Reshdiu commented:
April 16, 2014, 4:31 pm

saw the real thing today - awesome!
HugH commented:
April 18, 2014, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Reshdiu View Post
saw the real thing today - awesome!
Our last three cars have had the push start/stop. My wife keeps her key fob unseen in her huge purse until we get rid of the present car. Mine goes in one pocket of my trousers and that's where it stays until I take them off. No need to fiddle with extra crap.