2 Series 228i and M235i - Build Your Own on BMWUSA.com

by Bimmerfest.com Member - emPoWaH on January 13, 2014, 4:40 pm
BMW 2 series build your own 228i m235i bmwusa.com

The configurator is up on www.BMWUSA.com! The 228i powered by the N20 producing 240hp and 245 ft-lbs of torque starts at $33,025 while the M235i powered by the N55 making 322 hp and 332 lf-lbs of torque starts at $44,025.

Build your own M235i - http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=142C

Build your own 228i - http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=142A

$37,175 for a 228i Sport Line with Lighting and Parking packages. Let's hope the rates and incentives are favorable, because occasionally, the 1-series in the US has been more expensive to lease than with a comparable 3-series. sing the estimated lease function on the site, my configured 228i is about $25/month more than an equivalent 320i with a $350 lower MSRP.

About the BMW 2 series
The all-new BMW 2 Series Coupe is designed with significantly larger dimensions than its predecessor, the BMW 1 Series Coupe, and will be offered as both a 228i and M235i, which is the first BMW M Performance Automobile to be offered in the US. The BMW 2 Series Coupe has unmistakable BMW handling attributes and impressive ride comfort thanks to rear-wheel drive, longitudinally mounted engines, near-perfect 50-50 weight distribution, and sophisticated chassis technology. Double-pivot spring strut front suspension and five-link rear suspension feature tuning tailored to each 2 Series model, while variable sport steering, M Sport braking system and Adaptive M suspension with electronically controlled shock absorbers are all standard on the M235i in the US and optional on the 228i. Dynamic Stability Control system including Dynamic Traction Control with an electronic locking function for the rear axle is standard; M Performance mechanical limited slip differential will be available for the BMW M235i Coupe through the BMW M Performance Accessories range. The 2014 BMW 2 Series Coupe will launch in the US in 2014 Q1 with a base MSRP of $33,025 for the 228i and $44,025 for the M235i, including $925 Destination and Handling fee.

Build your own 2 series 228i or M235i and post your as built pricing.

Read more about the BMW 2 Series coupe
BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 1BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 2BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 3BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 4BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 5BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 6BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 7BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 8BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 9BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 10BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 11BMW-M235i-Detroit-2014 12


Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










27 responses to 2 Series 228i and M235i - Build Your Own on BMWUSA.com

tim330i commented:
January 13, 2014, 8:42 pm

Thanks for posting! I've make a few tweaks to your post and added it to the home page of the site.

Tim
blacksquid commented:
January 14, 2014, 12:36 am

The pricing is still a little misleading. You can't configure the M235i without leather so you need to add $1450 to any config. Might as well add ZPP, Premium Package, which includes leather.

Still a great deal if you're doing ED. I'd be in line for an M235i September ED if I hadn't looked at the 435i.


John
pony_trekker commented:
January 14, 2014, 5:59 am

Sexy

blacksquid commented:
January 14, 2014, 7:13 am

^ Love the color. It's too bad you can't get Valencia Orange on M Sport or the M235i.
sno_duc commented:
January 14, 2014, 10:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
The pricing is still a little misleading. You can't configure the M235i without leather so you need to add $1450 to any config. Might as well add ZPP, Premium Package, which includes leather.

Still a great deal if you're doing ED. I'd be in line for an M235i September ED if I hadn't looked at the 435i.


John
When you get to the summary tab, no ED tab appears.
Are they going to be available for EDs?
blacksquid commented:
January 14, 2014, 10:59 am

I know that some dealers on this forum are doing M235i ED. Go to Ask-A-Dealer and well, ask!
mullini commented:
January 14, 2014, 11:24 am

Just for kicks I priced a 235 with the same options I have on my sDrive X1. A bit surprised that the 2 is more expensive - over 42K for premium, Lighting, Tech and Driver assistance. There's no "ultimate" package to save a bit on those, as with the X1. And I also have the Harmon Kardon. My 2013 had an MSRP of 40,800 as I recall, and I think a couple packages went down a bit for 2014 so now it would be a couple hundred less.

You're paying more for sexy with the 2, but it is a good looking car, I admit.
bmw325 commented:
January 14, 2014, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Just for kicks I priced a 235 with the same options I have on my sDrive X1. A bit surprised that the 2 is more expensive - over 42K for premium, Lighting, Tech and Driver assistance. There's no "ultimate" package to save a bit on those, as with the X1. And I also have the Harmon Kardon. My 2013 had an MSRP of 40,800 as I recall, and I think a couple packages went down a bit for 2014 so now it would be a couple hundred less.

You're paying more for sexy with the 2, but it is a good looking car, I admit.
Remember that the m235i comes w/ the equivalent of the msport package standard, so add that to you x1 config as well for apples to apples. also, if have a RWD x1, i assume you have the 4 cyl engine so you'd compare that to a 228 not a 235.
mullini commented:
January 14, 2014, 11:52 am

OOPS sorry I made a mistake - I priced the 228, not the 235. That would definitely have been apples to oranges, or kumquats, whatever. The standard 228i in metallic with the packages I listed comes to $42,500. An sDrive X1 with the same packages (some bundled under "Ultimate") comes to $40,300.

So just over 2K more for a lot of sexy and a lot less storage.
bmw325 commented:
January 14, 2014, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
OOPS sorry I made a mistake - I priced the 228, not the 235. That would definitely have been apples to oranges, or kumquats, whatever. The standard 228i in metallic with the packages I listed comes to $42,500. An sDrive X1 with the same packages (some bundled under "Ultimate") comes to $40,300.

So just over 2K more for a lot of sexy and a lot less storage.
Actually not so bad. Wonder how much more/less a similar 320 is. The x1 is based on the e90 so I think they're as to realize some cost savings by using an older "paid for" platform


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jtzako commented:
January 14, 2014, 4:37 pm

Does the "Full Color Hud" come standard on the 228i? I noticed it is listed as a feature in the 'learn more' section but not in the configurator like it is in the 428i. In the 428i it only comes w/ the technology package.
tim330i commented:
January 14, 2014, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Does the "Full Color Hud" come standard on the 228i? I noticed it is listed as a feature in the 'learn more' section but not in the configurator like it is in the 428i. In the 428i it only comes w/ the technology package.
I don't think it is an option, period. It isn't listed in the order guide or the full press release.

Tim
jtzako commented:
January 14, 2014, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I don't think it is an option, period. It isn't listed in the order guide or the full press release.

Tim
Thats why I was wondering if it is a standard feature on the 2 series. It is listed under model highlights on BMWUSA but doesnt specify if its part of a package/option vs standard.

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...s/default.aspx
tim330i commented:
January 14, 2014, 6:04 pm

Yeah, that is strange. It doesn't appear to be on either the M235i or the 228i that were at the Detroit Auto Show. My guess is this is another BMWUSA.com error but I'll find out for you on Friday.

Tim
Chris90 commented:
January 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
^ Love the color. It's too bad you can't get Valencia Orange on M Sport or the M235i.
They don't want 1M values to tank.
blacksquid commented:
January 14, 2014, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
They don't want 1M values to tank.
How does allowing VO on the M235i cause 1M values to drop?
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
How does allowing VO on the M235i cause 1M values to drop?
The color was exclusive to 1M, wasn't it?

BMW said the M235i is supposedly faster on the Nurburgring than the 1M coupe, it's definitely a threat.
blacksquid commented:
January 15, 2014, 9:43 am

Nah, you can get VO on the 228i in Sport Line trim. Not exclusive to the 1M. I also saw VO on the Z4.
bmw325 commented:
January 15, 2014, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The color was exclusive to 1M, wasn't it?

BMW said the M235i is supposedly faster on the Nurburgring than the 1M coupe, it's definitely a threat.
The x1 is available in Valencia so it's not that exclusive.

I doubt the 235 will effect 1m values- the 1m derives its value from being such a limited production run. If raw performance numbers were the only important aspect of value, classic cars woukdnt be worth more than new ones in some cases. Plus the 235 is not the true 1m successor- it's more like a 135is succesor. The 1m successor will be the m2-though bmw is being coy about when that will happen so as not detract from the 235 launch.

Bmw z8s still hold their value despite plenty of modern bmws being faster for example. And e30 m3s are worth more than a sciion frs despite having worse performance. (Not to mention far greater production numbers than a 1m)

Nah- Id say 1m values are safe for now which is too bad for all of us who missed out.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 9:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquid View Post
Nah, you can get VO on the 228i in Sport Line trim. Not exclusive to the 1M. I also saw VO on the Z4.
And not the M235i. This just supports the idea that they don't want a VO M235i cause they don't want to hurt 1M owners.
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
The x1 is available in Valencia so it's not that exclusive.

I doubt the 235 will effect 1m values- the 1m derives its value from being such a limited production run. If raw performance numbers were the only important aspect of value, classic cars woukdnt be worth more than new ones in some cases. Plus the 235 is not the true 1m successor- it's more like a 135is succesor.

Bmw z8s still hold their value despite plenty of modern bmws being faster for example. And e30 m3s are worth more than a sciion frs despite having worse performance. (Not to mention far greater production numbers than a 1m)

Nah- Id say 1m values are safe for now which is too bad for all of us who missed out.
I disagree, the M235i w/ factory LSD is very close to a 1M, not just in performance but in feel and handling (based on European reviews of the M135i w/ LSD). The 135is with open diff and crappy run flat suspension is not.

1M values are going to drop soon, and when the M2 comes out, if it's a turbo six, even more so.

Nothing is remotely close to a Z8 or E30 M3, so they remain unique. The 1M is suddenly a lot less unique.
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Nah- Id say 1m values are safe for now which is too bad for all of us who missed out.
Ask yourself this, now that the M235i w/ factory LSD and non-runflat tires is available, are you willing to spend $70k for a 1M coupe?

I guarantee you, the M235i makes the 1M suddenly seem overpriced at $70k, when to many people the M235i is better looking, faster, more comfortable, better interior and brand new, for $20k less.
bmw325 commented:
January 15, 2014, 10:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I disagree, the M235i w/ factory LSD is very close to a 1M, not just in performance but in feel and handling (based on European reviews of the M135i w/ LSD). The 135is with open diff and crappy run flat suspension is not.

1M values are going to drop soon, and when the M2 comes out, if it's a turbo six, even more so.

Nothing is remotely close to a Z8 or E30 M3, so they remain unique. The 1M is suddenly a lot less unique.
The limited slip isn't exactly a factory option-it's a bmw performance accessory that needs to be retrofitted-you can't order the car that way. I'm pretty sure they offer a similar thing for the last gen 135i and current 335 too.

Also, the in terms of uniqueness, the m235i won't look all that different than a 228 msport. The 1m had a unique look which adds to its allure.

Hope you are right though - I'd love to pick up a cheap 1m! Just can't see it happening.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
The limited slip isn't exactly a factory option-it's a bmw performance accessory that needs to be retrofitted-you can't order the car that way. I'm pretty sure they offer a similar thing for the last gen 135i and current 335 too.

Also, the in terms of uniqueness, the m235i won't look all that different than a 228 msport. The 1m had a unique look which adds to its allure.

Hope you are right though - I'd love to pick up a cheap 1m! Just can't see it happening.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah, good point, not sure how owners view BMW Performance mods, probably somewhere in between aftermarket (which hurts value) and factory. Like Dinan mods don't really seem to help value much.

BMW Performance has only announced an LSD for the 4 series and 2 series, nothing for F30 or 135i yet. Probably it drops into the F30.

Your best hope for a 1M is that the M2 gets made, and is a turbo six, that would definitely hurt 1M values a little.
bmw325 commented:
January 15, 2014, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Yeah, good point, not sure how owners view BMW Performance mods, probably somewhere in between aftermarket (which hurts value) and factory. Like Dinan mods don't really seem to help value much.

BMW Performance has only announced an LSD for the 4 series and 2 series, nothing for F30 or 135i yet. Probably it drops into the F30.

Your best hope for a 1M is that the M2 gets made, and is a turbo six, that would definitely hurt 1M values a little.
Can't figure out why bmw doesn't make it a factory option...Theyve already done the engineering work. Even if almost no one orders it that way they could get so much good press and over the top positive reviews by equipping the press cars that way. Maybe it would tread too close to M car territory? Not sure


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chris90 commented:
January 15, 2014, 1:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
Can't figure out why bmw doesn't make it a factory option...Theyve already done the engineering work. Even if almost no one orders it that way they could get so much good press and over the top positive reviews by equipping the press cars that way. Maybe it would tread too close to M car territory? Not sure
I think you got it. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if they become factory options later on.
bmw325 commented:
January 15, 2014, 6:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I think you got it. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if they become factory options later on.
Yeah maybe they're piloting it this way to see what the interest level is. Still think they're shooting themselves in the foot but oh well


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app