At last year's Frankfurt Motor show BMW displayed a plugin hybrid powered F15 X5. The X5 on display was powered by a 4 cylinder TWinPower Turbo engine coupled to a 95 hp electric motor. BMW didn't give a power output for the 4 cylinder engine but we're guessing it was a variant of the N20 found in the 3 series.
The high voltage lithium-ion batteries in the eDrive X5 gave it a range of 19 miles on electric power alone. With three driving modes BMW eDrive also run in a battery saving engine only mode and in hybrid mode merging the power of the gasoline engine and the electric motor.
Over the EU test cycle portly 4680lbs (US spec X5 sDrive 35i) still manage and impressive 62 mpg (units converted) far surpassing the gas engines for economy.
BMW X5 eDrive Hybrid Emerges at the Frankfurt Motor Show
Recently BMW has been spied testing a 3 series with the same front fender access door we saw on the X5 eDrive. BMW said the X5 eDrive was a concept only, but we know they've been testing the drive train technology. Could a BMW 3 series with eDrive be in the works? What do you think of a plug in hybrid 3 series?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Oil Change = oil smell in cabin
- Used 328i - 100k miles - Should I buy for $11k?
- Tips on Managing Dog Hair in the car?
- Post e92 n54 mileages over 100k!
- 2007 335i Satellite Radio Issues
- 2007 335i manual transmission overheat warning light
- my e93 misfire and smoke on cold start
- Continental control contact sport as. (REVIEW)
- Service Engine Soon Light