BMW 4 Series owners: How's your experience so far?

by Bimmerfest.com Member - Alwozhere on February 20, 2014, 2:03 am
428i M sport

How long have you been driving yours and what has your experience been so far? Any good/bad points you think are worth sharing? Please also mention your build, packages, options, etc.

My 428i M sport
  • sapphire black
  • black dakota leather
  • premium
  • driver assist
  • lighting
  • HK
  • M brakes
  • Heated seats
  • Nav

I'm 2-3 weeks into my lease and all I can say is this is the best car I have ever driven, without a doubt. Not the fastest, but the best overall package. A 2.0 liter turbo that can get to 60 in around 5.5 seconds? Are you kidding me? Not to mention 35mpg in ECO mode for those long journeys. The car gets compliments almost on a daily basis for it's design.

BMW 428i sapphire black

It's been a while since I've looked forward to getting inside a car just for the sole reason of actually driving it.

I get lost in the 30 minute drive to work, and back home. I look forward to it like a child looks forward to desert time. I remember feeling this way 12 years ago when I bought my first ever BMW back in London, England; a 1.6 liter 316i coupe for £2600.

The good:

The acceleration of the car is what surprised me the most. Quite a nippy little bugger for a 4 cylinder The interior is very sexy, not the best out there, but it's more than enough for me. People go on about luxurious M Benz and Audi interiors but personally I prefer the 4 series interior. The wide angle idrive screen, touchknob and night time orange lights all over the car is very nice. Makes it look like something out of TRON.

The new idrive is a joy to work with and very fast compared to M benz system (last car was a 2011 E350 sedan).

In terms of looks, 'the car is a big head turner. I had mine tinted soon after delivery to get that black on black look going, so I move around quite inconspicuously

The bad:

Noticeable wind noise inside the cabin and a few other first world problems that aren't even worth mentioning. If it's not obvious by now, I'm completely in love with this car.

Would be great to hear others experiences.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

30 responses to BMW 4 Series owners: How's your experience so far?

jaws12 commented:
February 20, 2014, 6:51 am

435i X-Drive M Sport 8A

Alpine White/Black Aluminum/Black Gloss Trim

19" Style 401, NAV, Premium, Cold Weather, HK Stereo, Driver Assist

Pros: awesome looks, great engine, extremely comfortable, HK sound system is a real upgrade, M sport, dual personality (comfort, sport), performance

Cons: run flats, steering feel in comfort mode, no factory accessories available yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jgman commented:
February 20, 2014, 7:46 am

428i x-drive
Glacier Silver/Bl leather red accents
sport-line
HK
Heated Seats
Nav

Pros:
Beautiful Car (lots of stares from young hotties)
streaming Rhapsody audio via i-drive works great never listen to radio
car has plenty of power and acceleration
x-drive works great in the snow no more getting stuck in my hilly neighborhood

Cons:
none at this time….i love this car!
Gumdoc commented:
February 20, 2014, 9:12 am

435 xdrive, msport on route as we speak. Left Bremerhaven yesterday, stopping in Goteborg today......Hopefully on the East Coast by the 6th. I literally can. not. wait.

Starting to have remorse though that I didn't go with HK sound....
Dippydo commented:
February 20, 2014, 9:51 am

So they did not solve the wind noise on the 4 series either. Odd that they cannot or will not fix that.
Alwozhere commented:
February 20, 2014, 1:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdoc View Post
435 xdrive, msport on route as we speak. Left Bremerhaven yesterday, stopping in Goteborg today......Hopefully on the East Coast by the 6th. I literally can. not. wait.

Starting to have remorse though that I didn't go with HK sound....
I was so close to getting one without HK. I was about to do the deal, but something made me stop. I guess it just depends how important sound quality is for you. Some people don't care that much and will get along fine with the stock system.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure there are some really good aftermarket speaker systems you could have installed later. The one thing that isn't that great about the HK system is the bass. So you might find something even better out there but under $950 and have some change to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
So they did not solve the wind noise on the 4 series either. Odd that they cannot or will not fix that.
Nope, it's still there. Anything above 60mph and it's very noticeable. Almost sounds like the drivers window isn't fully closed, like you'd think there was a few mm left to go before it shuts all the way, but that's how it sounds when it's completely shut going above 60.

Annoying but not the end of the world. I'm going to ask the dealer if there's something they can do next time I take her in.
mwm1166 commented:
February 20, 2014, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwozhere View Post
I was so close to getting one without HK. I was about to do the deal, but something made me stop. I guess it just depends how important music listening is to your personally. Some people don't care that much and will get along fine with the stock system.

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure there are some really good aftermarket speaker systems you could have installed later. The one thing that isn't that great about the HK system is the bass. So you might find something even better out there but under $950 and have some change to spare.

Nope, it's still there. Anything above 60mph and it's very noticeable. Almost sounds like the drivers window isn't fully closed, like you'd think there was a few mm left to go before it shuts all the way, but that's how it sounds when it's completely shut going above 60.

Annoying but not the end of the world. I'm going to ask the dealer if there's something they can do next time I take her in.
I regularly drive my car 80+ mph and my 435i doesn't have significant or noticeable wind noise. I have a 435i M Sport...
Alwozhere commented:
February 20, 2014, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm1166 View Post
I regularly drive my car 80+ mph and my 435i doesn't have significant or noticeable wind noise. I have a 435i M Sport...
You sir are one lucky sir.

poudre commented:
February 20, 2014, 6:41 pm

Have not noticed any wind noise but there is tire noise from the crappy runflats.
Gary J commented:
February 20, 2014, 6:48 pm

This article talks about wind noise in the convertible I have on order -

"The design language of the new BMW 4 Series Convertible is reflected in the car's unmistakable and elegant silhouette with balanced proportions when the top is down, and in the coupe-like profile of the roofline – without a B-pillar – when the hardtop is up. The three-piece retractable hardtop is distinguished by advanced soundproofing with its "noise-absorbing" headliner, ensuring quietness and passenger comfort under all weather conditions – even in winter. The interior roof is fully lined and features integrated lights that add to the ambience expected of a premium sport coupe. When the top is down and stored in the trunk, the standard load and unload assistance function moves the folded roof and the trunklid upwards to provide ample storage space and easy access. Even large and bulky items, like luggage or golf clubs, can be conveniently stowed when the top is down. The sound-absorbing headliner also reduces wind noise by up to 2 dB in comparison to its predecessor."

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/201...-ar113498.html
mwm1166 commented:
February 21, 2014, 4:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwozhere View Post
You sir are one lucky sir.

I must be.
Road&MTN_Biker commented:
February 22, 2014, 7:21 am

Yes, I am also extremely happy with my 428iX Sport. Coming from a bunch of Audi quatros, I had high expectations of the all wheel drive system and all season tire traction. The Bimmer was just great this awful Michigan winter. The performance of the 428 engine is way more than expected, much more than you need real world. Steering feels good and handling is terrific. The Idrive is really easy to use. Audi gets raves for its MMI system, but Idrive is much better. Having hard button radio and heater controls is a nice reprieve from Audi;s system. The park distance control display has to be the best out there. I have not noticed wind noise and the base sound system seems pretty good to me. I am happy I did not pony up for the HK. My car did have LED headlights and doubt they are worth the cost over the standard Xenons.

My only nit picks with BMW (other than fear of tire failure/no spare) are related to placement of some of the controls: (1) Seat memory (you have to open the door to see/use; (2) trunk opener is hard to reach/see/find; (3) door locks???? - what were they thinking? (4) digital display should show speed (Audi gives the option through MMI to have speed digitally posted in the center of the display).

This car has made me a total BMW nut. I love the feel of it, love driving it, love looking at it, love being in it, love the smell . It makes me want to drive somewhere, even when I have no need to go.

The lease is coming up on my Volt and plan to replace it with another BMW! Either a 228 or a X1. If my Golden Retriever can get in the back of the 228 that could be the car, but the X-1 would be perfect for bike hauling.
Road&MTN_Biker commented:
February 22, 2014, 2:10 pm

x
Alwozhere commented:
February 22, 2014, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road&MTN_Biker View Post
It makes me want to drive somewhere, even when I have no need to go.
Its been many many years since I felt like this in a car, it really has put the fun back into driving

mrrun2fast commented:
February 22, 2014, 9:28 pm

Just bought a 428xi today out of state and drove 280 miles home. I love it! I was bummed I had to break it in easy but drove between 60-80 mph and averaged 32mpg. My family and friends think I'm nuts for buying a 2 door since we recently had a kid, but this won't be the family car. My former car Audi Q5 will become my wife's / family vehicle.

The only flaw I have noticed was that I couldn't synchronize the temperature between driver and passenger.

This is my first BMW and I'm excited!
Mathfuzzy commented:
February 25, 2014, 12:06 am

Excited to be ordering...I think...an M Sport with DHP and M Sport Brakes.

I'd love to hear any good or bad feedback on either or both options.

Psyched about the car!
Mathfuzzy commented:
February 25, 2014, 12:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road&MTN_Biker View Post
Yes, I am also extremely happy with my 428iX Sport. Coming from a bunch of Audi quatros, I had high expectations of the all wheel drive system and all season tire traction. The Bimmer was just great this awful Michigan winter. The performance of the 428 engine is way more than expected, much more than you need real world. Steering feels good and handling is terrific. The Idrive is really easy to use. Audi gets raves for its MMI system, but Idrive is much better. Having hard button radio and heater controls is a nice reprieve from Audi;s system. The park distance control display has to be the best out there. I have not noticed wind noise and the base sound system seems pretty good to me. I am happy I did not pony up for the HK. My car did have LED headlights and doubt they are worth the cost over the standard Xenons.

My only nit picks with BMW (other than fear of tire failure/no spare) are related to placement of some of the controls: (1) Seat memory (you have to open the door to see/use; (2) trunk opener is hard to reach/see/find; (3) door locks???? - what were they thinking? (4) digital display should show speed (Audi gives the option through MMI to have speed digitally posted in the center of the display).

This car has made me a total BMW nut. I love the feel of it, love driving it, love looking at it, love being in it, love the smell . It makes me want to drive somewhere, even when I have no need to go.

The lease is coming up on my Volt and plan to replace it with another BMW! Either a 228 or a X1. If my Golden Retriever can get in the back of the 228 that could be the car, but the X-1 would be perfect for bike hauling.
Thanks for the write up.
Gary J commented:
February 25, 2014, 8:02 am

BMW brakes are so good I pass on the M Sport Brakes.
Lafinkel commented:
February 25, 2014, 1:06 pm

I have a 2013 328xdrive and had wind noise only when the sunroof was in tilt position. I brought it into BMW service and they fixed it. Made adjustments to the window and sunroof to eliminate the noise.
Henryhg commented:
February 25, 2014, 6:31 pm

I am just happy i dont have any mechanical or electric issues. Though the ride feel rough when there are alot of bump on the road.

WillInDenver commented:
February 25, 2014, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathfuzzy View Post
Excited to be ordering...I think...an M Sport with DHP and M Sport Brakes.

I'd love to hear any good or bad feedback on either or both options.

Psyched about the car!
Will yours be instead of or in addition to that 997?
Mathfuzzy commented:
February 25, 2014, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Will yours be instead of or in addition to that 997?
In addition to...thankfully. The 428 will mostly be my daily driver..plan is to effectively share with my wife the 428 and GTI as daily drivers. I started to get carried away and think about a 435 instead...but that's a slippery slope and I remembered i'm not trying to replace the 997.
WillInDenver commented:
February 25, 2014, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathfuzzy View Post
In addition to...thankfully. The 428 will mostly be my daily driver..plan is to effectively share with my wife the 428 and GTI as daily drivers. I started to get carried away and think about a 435 instead...but that's a slippery slope and I remembered i'm not trying to replace the 997.
Sort of why I was wondering. I'd love a Targa but I'm always wondering if there's $30K of difference (or whatever the amount may be) in experience between one of those and a 435. I'm afraid I know the answer...
Mathfuzzy commented:
February 25, 2014, 7:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Sort of why I was wondering. I'd love a Targa but I'm always wondering if there's $30K of difference (or whatever the amount may be) in experience between one of those and a 435. I'm afraid I know the answer...
(OP, sorry for the tangent)

The Targa was my daily driver for a few years, replacing a 996 4S coupe. It's actually not bad for that role, but those are some expensive and sometimes crappy commuting miles! So I added the DSG GTI, which I really enjoy driving and don't mind putting crappy miles on it. And the Targa pretty much only gets used for highest and best use miles. But the chasm between the GTI and the Targa is massive, hence the 428. It actually ends up replacing my wife's A5 that's just coming off lease (and that I HATE driving).
knoblock commented:
March 2, 2014, 12:33 pm

428i RW drive (she will never see snow,keeping it salt free)
Imperial Blue Metalic/Saddle Brown,NAV,Cold Weather,Lux Line, Prem Pkg
Delivered early January 14.Have just over 500 miles on it (we've had a lot of snow in New York). This is my third BMW. I have an X3 xdrive and traded an 06 335i for this 4 series. So far its a delight to drive and performance is comparable to the six cylinder I had in my 06 3 series.
eekthecat commented:
March 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

Welp, mine's already in the shop with some sort of LED headlight issue, and to fix the speaker buzz/rattle. I dropped if off early Friday morning, and they didn't even get around to looking at it until the late afternoon. Now it's there until, probably Tuesday. Between that and the numb steering, I'm not impressed thus far.

Strange thing is that the stripped down 328 loaner I got has better steering (no DHP), and oddly enough, better brakes (non-msport). The rest of the loaner, however, is shocking in how different it is than my 428, probably because it has basically no options. It's a completely different car, and many pieces feel cheap. I can't imagine that BMW feels okay hanging their hat on this type of de-contented car. My 428 just feels more upscale in every way, though the problems it's having at less than 500mi are extremely disappointing... not to mention the poor service experience.
Michael Schott commented:
March 2, 2014, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
Welp, mine's already in the shop with some sort of LED headlight issue, and to fix the speaker buzz/rattle. I dropped if off early Friday morning, and they didn't even get around to looking at it until the late afternoon. Now it's there until, probably Tuesday. Between that and the numb steering, I'm not impressed thus far.

Strange thing is that the stripped down 328 loaner I got has better steering (no DHP), and oddly enough, better brakes (non-msport). The rest of the loaner, however, is shocking in how different it is than my 428, probably because it has basically no options. It's a completely different car, and many pieces feel cheap. I can't imagine that BMW feels okay hanging their hat on this type of de-contented car. My 428 just feels more upscale in every way, though the problems it's having at less than 500mi are extremely disappointing... not to mention the poor service experience.
Not sure how you see this as a bad dealer experience. Seems you wanted them to ignore all the other cars and work on yours. Did you have an appointment?
eekthecat commented:
March 2, 2014, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Not sure how you see this as a bad dealer experience. Seems you wanted them to ignore all the other cars and work on yours. Did you have an appointment?
Yes, made several days in advance. I re-arranged my morning schedule to drop my car off at 7:30a, and it didn't even get looked at until 3:30p, after I had to call a couple of times to get an update.

If they were so insanely busy (they said it was because of month-end), they either should've (a) not taken the appointment, or (b) let me drop my car off later, or (c) at the very least, given me a heads-up that they were backlogged - communication is key. I wouldn't have been so angry if they had at least let me know.

Add to that the flippant attitude I feel like I got from them, and I'm not a happy camper.
Alwozhere commented:
March 3, 2014, 4:07 am

Keep us updated on how it goes ETC. I'm taking mine in this week to get the buzzing dash sound and wind noise looked at. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn in to another headache at the dealer.
Mathfuzzy commented:
March 3, 2014, 8:31 am

Quote:
Yes, made several days in advance. I re-arranged my morning schedule to drop my car off at 7:30a, and it didn't even get looked at until 3:30p, after I had to call a couple of times to get an update.

If they were so insanely busy (they said it was because of month-end), they either should've (a) not taken the appointment, or (b) let me drop my car off later, or (c) at the very least, given me a heads-up that they were backlogged - communication is key. I wouldn't have been so angry if they had at least let me know.

Add to that the flippant attitude I feel like I got from them, and I'm not a happy camper.
Sorry to hear about the troubles and experience with the dealer. Hopefully not my local Bay Area dealer...
beden1 commented:
March 3, 2014, 10:26 am

Quote:

Having a bad experience at the dealer really puts a damper on any car. I've been dealing with my BMW dealership for many years and have a great experince with them. I know it's tough to find the time because of work, but every once in a while I schedule an appointment to wait for my car, especially if it's just for something easy like an oil change. While there, I spend time getting to know the service manager, and the guys who pick up customer cars when you drive in, the receptionist, my SA, and I also ask to speak with the service tech (mechanic) to ask about the car and how to keep it running at its' best, etc. We then start talking about cars in general and it's very interesting. Now, my mechanic usually comes out to talk without me asking, to let me know how my cars are (I service 3 BMWs there).

I also always thoroughly detail my cars before bringing them in for service. Everyone there comments on how well I maintain my cars and how I really appreciate them. The service manager even makes sure that my cars are parked inside as opposed to their parking lot that is not paved (he also assigns their most experienced mechanic to work on my cars). When I call for an appointment, I ask the SA what days are best for them to work on my car when they won't be rushed, and when is the best time for them to work on it as soon as I bring it in. They are happy to make the arrangements to make my ownership experience a happy one.

I do the same, and have the same relationship at my Chevy, Porsche and Audi dealerships. It pays to develop a friendly personal relationship with your dealership.