Get ready to option up your BMW with carbon fiber wheels
BMW is rumored to have invested over 1 billion euros in the BMW i3 and i8 with a large chunk of that going into carbon fiber R&D. The break through with the i3 and i8 is how BMW can mold the carbon fiber into parts that resemble traditional steel stamping and then glue those parts together to form the chassis of the i3 and i8.
BMW's engineers have now been tasked with finding other uses for this amazing technology. They've build a full carbon fiber steering wheel, a prototype X5 carbon fiber drive shaft and more impressively 100% carbon fiber wheels.
The technology has been developed for 100% carbon fiber wheels and hybrid wheels where the rim is carbon fiber and the center is an alloy metal.
|“We save 25 percent in weight compared to a forged alloy wheel with the hybrid wheel and another 10 percent if it’s completely carbon,” Mr Storkenmaier said.|
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- What is this noise? BMW 320d
- New owner of a 335i convertible.
- Rad fan coming on constantly
- owners manual
- What is the best 3 series coupe I can buy for 8-10K?
- using remanufactured injector on 07 328i HELLPPPPP!!
- Will 225/40-18 Tires Fit 18x8.5 Rims?
- Seeking wheel package advice
- 335is dct paddle upgrade?
- Sirius module