Get ready to option up your BMW with carbon fiber wheels
BMW is rumored to have invested over 1 billion euros in the BMW i3 and i8 with a large chunk of that going into carbon fiber R&D. The break through with the i3 and i8 is how BMW can mold the carbon fiber into parts that resemble traditional steel stamping and then glue those parts together to form the chassis of the i3 and i8.
BMW's engineers have now been tasked with finding other uses for this amazing technology. They've build a full carbon fiber steering wheel, a prototype X5 carbon fiber drive shaft and more impressively 100% carbon fiber wheels.
The technology has been developed for 100% carbon fiber wheels and hybrid wheels where the rim is carbon fiber and the center is an alloy metal.
|“We save 25 percent in weight compared to a forged alloy wheel with the hybrid wheel and another 10 percent if it’s completely carbon,” Mr Storkenmaier said.|
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- E93 Window Wistles
- Apparently I'm a hack...
- 2007 335i: "Leak in the turbo"
- Help! BMW window Washer fluid.
- Engine tuning over longer before starting?r
- New owner of E90 335i, issues to fix on car...
- BMW access control Keyless entry/ FOB programming issue
- Bmw 325i 2006 overheat
- Date/Time disappears on Stereo display
- Faded Plastic Headlamp Restoration