Get ready to option up your BMW with carbon fiber wheels
BMW is rumored to have invested over 1 billion euros in the BMW i3 and i8 with a large chunk of that going into carbon fiber R&D. The break through with the i3 and i8 is how BMW can mold the carbon fiber into parts that resemble traditional steel stamping and then glue those parts together to form the chassis of the i3 and i8.
BMW's engineers have now been tasked with finding other uses for this amazing technology. They've build a full carbon fiber steering wheel, a prototype X5 carbon fiber drive shaft and more impressively 100% carbon fiber wheels.
The technology has been developed for 100% carbon fiber wheels and hybrid wheels where the rim is carbon fiber and the center is an alloy metal.
|“We save 25 percent in weight compared to a forged alloy wheel with the hybrid wheel and another 10 percent if it’s completely carbon,” Mr Storkenmaier said.|
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Racing dynamics parts quality
- 2009 335i Exhaust Tips Replacement
- 2011 328i xdrive coupe dual exhausts
- Stereo turn itself down when slowing..
- 2011 low mileage Maintenance
- Loose Gear shift automatic 2008 328xi
- 335d mods?
- Error codes P1447, P1448, P1449
- Convertible owners - did your tint scratch?
- What are these cables for? Help please