Get ready to option up your BMW with carbon fiber wheels
BMW is rumored to have invested over 1 billion euros in the BMW i3 and i8 with a large chunk of that going into carbon fiber R&D. The break through with the i3 and i8 is how BMW can mold the carbon fiber into parts that resemble traditional steel stamping and then glue those parts together to form the chassis of the i3 and i8.
BMW's engineers have now been tasked with finding other uses for this amazing technology. They've build a full carbon fiber steering wheel, a prototype X5 carbon fiber drive shaft and more impressively 100% carbon fiber wheels.
The technology has been developed for 100% carbon fiber wheels and hybrid wheels where the rim is carbon fiber and the center is an alloy metal.
|“We save 25 percent in weight compared to a forged alloy wheel with the hybrid wheel and another 10 percent if it’s completely carbon,” Mr Storkenmaier said.|
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- DCT reliability and maintenance?
- DIY For 100k+ Mile BMW's?
- technical question about door handles
- Both key fobs stopped working...at the same time
- Some settings are locked
- Weird Ignition problem
- E92 M3 Steering Wheel for SALE
- 335i steering wheel controls
- Squealing coming from front end area (belt/pulley?)