BMW to announce expanded commitment in the USA March 28th

by Mark Jurista on March 14, 2014, 2:28 pm
BMW Expanding Commitment in USA

BMW has announced that they will be announcing a significant and expanded commitment in the USA during a press conference to be held on Friday, March 28th at 1:00 PM EST. Numerous big names will be in attendance including:
  • BMW Group Chairman Dr. Norbert Reithofer
  • U.S. Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker
  • South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley
  • BMW Group Board Member Harald Krueger - head of the global production network
  • Manfred Erlacher - President, BMW Manufacturing.

While there are no specific details yet, it does seem to be big news given the guest list. Currently BMW produces the BMW X3, BMW X4, BMW X5 and BMW X6 at the plant and is the United States number one exporter of vehicles.

Stay tuned to Bimmerfest.com for more details.

Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.

9 responses to BMW to announce expanded commitment in the USA March 28th

Gary J commented:
March 14, 2014, 3:43 pm

They can not do much better than sunny South Carolina.
Red Lined commented:
March 14, 2014, 10:22 pm

3 series is going to be produced in South Carolina #callingit
falar commented:
March 16, 2014, 3:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
3 series is going to be produced in South Carolina #callingit
Hmmm

Would be nice not to wait 2 months for car.........but want car made in Munich.
Gary J commented:
March 16, 2014, 7:53 am

How about backing up assertions?
The Other Tom commented:
March 18, 2014, 9:46 pm

It's long been rumored at the plant that they'll be getting the 3 series. Most people don't remember they made the 318 there before the Z3. My guess is the announcement will make it official. Unfortunately, this will probably mean no more ED's for 3 series.
falar commented:
March 20, 2014, 2:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Tom View Post
It's long been rumored at the plant that they'll be getting the 3 series. Most people don't remember they made the 318 there before the Z3. My guess is the announcement will make it official. Unfortunately, this will probably mean no more ED's for 3 series.
After thinking a bit more and seeing there are going to be political types there I think this may have something to do with appeasing some of the BS government "green" initiatives that have emerged recently. Maybe they could earn some credits by building i3/i8 here?
The Other Tom commented:
March 20, 2014, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
After thinking a bit more and seeing there are going to be political types there I think this may have something to do with appeasing some of the BS government "green" initiatives that have emerged recently. Maybe they could earn some credits by building i3/i8 here?
Maybe. I was at the plant a couple of weeks ago and there were 2 i3's in the parking lot. I don't know if they were employee cars or company cars. There were several unused charging stations.
The Other Tom commented:
March 22, 2014, 9:11 pm

On the other hand, it could be the X7
http://www.wyff4.com/news/bmw-to-mak...ement/25036452
tim330i commented:
March 28, 2014, 1:05 pm

It is starting - http://www.audiosolutionsusa.com/bmw-032814.html