BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Entry-Level Luxury Sedan Comparison -Motor Trend

16K views 75 replies 29 participants last post by  namelessman 
#1 · (Edited)
32oi

BMW's 320i came out on top in Motor Trends recent entry-level luxury sedan comparison. The 320i had some tough competition from the likes of the Mercedes-Benz CLA250, Volkswagen's CC R-Line, and the Buick Regal T. The tested cars, were all in the $35k range, with the exception of the CLA250, which was a bit higher at $36,500. The 320i sported a quality ride, made good use of its power, even though it had the least of the group, and offered passengers plenty of room inside. Check out some of the 320i's highlights from the comparison.

Interior
The 320i's cabin is minimalist and easy to embrace, and the back seat is the most accommodating of the four, with gobs of head- and legroom and trouble-free ingress and egress.

Ride
Even though the 320i came fitted with the passive M sport suspension , it rode confidently on its staggered 18-inch wheels. The BMW suspension delivers a reassuring ride that's more adept than those of the Regal or CC at snuffing motions after the wheel impact, rather than letting the car oscillate on its own. The purest of BMW purists have harangued that the current F30 3 Series isn't as laser-focused on handling and as rewarding a driver's driver as the E30, E36, E46, and E90. We counter the F30 is still an admirable all-around vehicle.

Power
Along the way, each car demonstrated ample passing power on the open road, with no one pining for more from the least-powerful 320i (its ZF eight-speed auto makes the most of the powerband) or any other contender.

In the end
First goes to the 320i, with its easygoing, composed chassis. It's the most eager to go driving in by a long shot. Knocks against it: It's weaker on wind-noise abatement and doesn't come with as many features, although there are plenty of a la carte options to inflate the final price.

4th: Mercedes-Benz CLA250
3rd: Volkswagen CC 2.0T R-Line
2nd:Buick Regal T, was quite close to taking the top spot from the BMW
1st: BMW 320i

BMW may have to watch out for Buick, since they were nearly knocked off the top by the Regal T. Here's what Motor Trend's final take was on the Buick: The Regal, exceptionally outfitted with goodies including a heated steering wheel and AC power receptacle and boasting ride comfort for all ages. There's no embarrassment in (inadvertently) taking it through a canyon.

Check out the full comparison from Motor Trend here!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Maybe BMW will have to change their slogan from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" to "Slightly Better Than a Buick" :(

I don't see myself shopping for a Buick in the near future but I am glad to see that Buick has made such an improvement.
Buick made some great cars in the past.
BMW also made some great cars in the past.

#4 ·
It's core audience from 1980? It's been decades since BMW catered solely to the enthusiast market. I agree the F30 has taken a larger step towards comfort but it's still a hell of a fine sport sedan. I haven't driven a Regal but have no interest in a FWD sport sedan other than a GTI of Focus ST. Frankly the MT results only confirm to me that MT is the most mainstream and least sport oriented of the 4 major US car rags.

#7 ·
Has anyone here actually driven the Buick model that MT tested?

#9 ·
Is the Regal actually decent? I had a Buick Verrano as a rental a few months ago and it matched the dictionary definition of "lifeless steering". Completely numb, overboosted, and utterly lacking in feel - I could have been turning the steering wheel from a video game, in all seriousness. But otherwise it wasn't bad and actually much nicer than the typical compact rental cars I get like Corollas, etc. Decently snug and buttoned down ride (for a Buick) and nice interior. In no way shape or form would I compare it to any model from BMW though.

#11 ·
I've driven the Regal. It's a good car.

Why is it always BMW is going downhill rather than the competition they've provided is forcing others to up their game???

#13 ·
Unlike some here I'm happy to cruise along on the Interstate at 69mph.In fact,that's what 95% of my miles are (I take public transportation to work and elsewhere).So my new "d",rated at 45mpg by the EPA,is just fine for me.It's not equipped exactly the way I want it...I *had* to order off the lot....but it's darn good.I'm pretty new to BMW so I don't know how things were 'in the good old days' but,as I said,I'm very pleased with both my "d"s.

Also,my nephew-in-law drives a new Regal and he's very pleased with it.

#14 ·
In the 1920's, Buicks were among the best cars on the road. In the early 40's, there were no new cars due to World War II. That's why Buicks are so popular in China. In the late 40's, China collapsed and the government fled to Taiwan leaving China without much car ownership until 20 year ago.

I am amazed at how quiet the F30 is. The steering is decent, not perfect. The handling is very good, not perfect. I think it's BMW trying to balance a mass appeal car with a sports sedan. I am fine with that as long as they don't drop any more sportiness.

#15 ·
So, BMW is your father's Buick or Buick is your son's BMW? I'm confused! :dunno:

#20 ·
Is it just me or does this "We counter the F30 is still an admirable all-around vehicle" sound a little bit like an old-society Savannah lady saying "Oh, yes, little Johhny, bless his heart ..."

:D

#21 ·
It's probably more like asking "what does she(he) look like" about a blind date and being told "She(he) has a great personality and is a really good dancer".

#25 · (Edited)
Evenflow;8221509[B said:
]I haven't driven one, but I already know how it feels.
It feels like all GM cars that are made to try to compete in the sector. They make really solid rental cars.
Perhaps you can provide us with restaurant reviews of restaurants you have never eaten at, hotel reviews of hotels you never stayed at, movie reviews of movies you have never seen and book reviews of books you have never read.

#35 ·
I personally like the 1953 Buick Skylark, cost more than a 1953 Cadillac Eldorado at the time! The mere fact that Buick can get close is impressive. What will BMW do to keep it's edge? Competition will mean we should look forward to some awesome new BMW's in the future!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Full-size car

#36 ·
Hmm, $35k for a front-drive Buick.

What else can I buy for $35k?

2011 335i M Sport w/ like 15k miles
2015 Golf R
2013 328i M Sport
2015 STI Limited

Hmmm . . .

#49 · (Edited)
Except that FWD Buick almost beat the 3 series and my point is that there are much better cars for 35K than a used E90 335.
Depends. If you want a fast, tight handling, relatively luxurious 4 door daily driver that is tight and well engineered, there are not many better choices. I'd personally rather have an E90 335i with MT and ZSP than any of the cars you mention above. And you can probably find a model with relatively low miles for under $30K.

#59 ·
The term entry level has been perplexing to me. It's out-dated.

I am not going to buy a Chevy then a Buick then a cheaper Cadillac followed by a big Cadillac. I am not going to buy a 3 series and eventually get a 7 series.

In terms of size, an old 5 series from the 80's is what I want. That is now the F30. If I stay with BMWs, it will always be a 3 series or similar.

#60 ·
The term entry level has been perplexing to me. It's out-dated.
Dave the 320i is a entry level car in the Sport Sedan segment. Now what makes a sedan a sport sedan has been argued on many internet forums. In the last 15 yrs this segment has grown, you have the lexus IS300 now IS250/350, infiniti G35/35 and now Q50, Audi A4 and A3, MB C300/350. Today you have a Caddy ATS who wants some of this action. As prices continue to climb manufactures had to look at ways of keeping prices down, and I think the 320i is the perfect balance of this. For under 35K you can get a 320i with sport package, and manuel trans. The 180hp in the 320i is underrated and it could use a little more. This is where Burger Motorsports comes in, the stage 1 for the N20 engine gives the extra hp for litte money. The 320i is a great highway cruiser, and get impressive MPG too. BMW didn't decontent the 320i too much but still keeps up with some of it's bigger brothers.

#70 · (Edited)
The F30 'steering being horrible' thing is perhaps the most exaggerated thing I hear in automotive circles these days. The e90 steering was heavier. The F30 is lighter and its electric. The steering tightens up in sport mode. I guess it's a little artificial in comparison but its precise. Not that big of a deal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.