April 8, 2014, 2:35 pm
This topic comes up every so often!
I don't think it's been 'truly' abandoned and there's some fairly obvious signs to support that..
1. A truly abandoned building on the outside would have many more weeds and rough plants growing from all the corners and crevices of the building walls and the ground.
2. Internally, it's 'too clean' - there would've been 20+ years worth of dust on the showroom floor, yet it looks like it was cleaned perhaps a few weeks ago
3. An E39 Touring wasn't in existence back then, they arrived almost a decade later
4. Any car left like that would've been vandalised to hell, or someone would've just taken it/them if left outside like that
5. The ones inside, would've disappeared via smashed front building glass not even 6 months after the building had been 'abandoned' !
Probably an owner of the building uses it here and there for whatever and for the purposes of internet 'stories' parked a few cars there and took some pictures!
Incidentally, right behind the boundary wall to my house used to be a busy BMW dealership. They consolidated with another dealer and moved out perhaps in the late 90's and for a good few years the buildings had no tenants to replace them. Boards went up over the glass almost immediately (which the canadian one didn't have which have been the case if genuinely 'abandoned') and very quickly the over growth of plants and weeds sprung up in between the cracks of the paving blocks. I'd say a good 5-7 years later did a business occupy it and one building still remains empty/unused. I took a couple pictures of the remains of their signpost board which can still be seen and is the only giveaway now that a BMW dealer used to be there.
*Edit* just saw the link to the site giving more details!!