BMW officially debuted the newest X model to the world today at the New York Auto Show, the all new BMW X4. The X4 builds on the success of the BMW X family, is built on the X3 chassis, and generally resembles a baby X6. BMW took their successful mid-sized SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle), the X3, and chopped the top with a coupe like roof line. This gives the X4 an athletic, sporty appearance over it's more upright X3 sibling. Photos of the X4 do not do the the sporting nature of the roof line justice. In person the car looks aggressive with an appeal that isn't conveyed in the photos.
X4 provides the utility and performance of a BMW SAV in a coupe package. Despite the cut roof the X4 retains reasonable rear cargo capacity, 17.7- 49.4 cu. ft., with 40-20-40 folding rear seats. Unexpectedly rear passenger room is impressive, fitting my 6'5" with an inch to spare on the roof. Leg room was tight, but not uncomfortable. In the drivers seat you're greeted with an interior, dash and steering wheel lifted from the X3. If you like the look and feel of the X3, you'll feel right at home in the X4.
2015 BMW X4 Sports Activity Coupe Highlights:
- Built at the BMW factory in Spartanburg, South Carolina alongside the BMW X3, BMW X5 and BMW X6
- World debut at the 2014 New York International Auto Show in April
- The BMW X4 xDrive28i comes with BMW's N20 2.0-liter four cylinder producing 240 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque with a starting price of $45,625 (including destination and handling)
- The BMW X4 xDrive35i comes with BMW's N55 3.0-liter inline six cylinder producing 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque starting $48,925 (including destination and handling)
- BMW X4 sits 1.5 inches lower than the BMW X3 and features a coupe-like roofline
- Impressive rear headroom despite coupe roof
- Available with M Sport package or xLine at launch
- Goes on sale at your local BMW dealer in July
BMW X4 Press Release
We have not yet been able to test drive the X4, but with the engines, transmissions, xDrive and running gear shared with the BMW X3 the same performance is expected. Steering and suspension will likely be tightened up in line with the more sporty nature of the X4 over the X3. General road handling and performance is expected to be on par with the X3.
The top of the line X4 xDrive35i is powered by the N55 TwinPower turbo 6 cylinder making 300hp and 300lb-ft of torque and puts the power down through all four wheels via xDrive. This range topping model starts at $48,925, and can quickly be optioned up well over $55 grand. The N20 powered 28i X4 comes also comes with xDrive, starts at $45,625 and propels you down the road with 245hp and 260lb-ft of torque (prices include $925 destination and handling). Both the 28i and 35i can be equipped with an M Sport or xLine package for unique finishing touches. The M Sport's aggressive body kit (shown at the NY Auto Show) is my preference of the three choices.
2015 Model Year F26 BMW X4 Ordering and Pricing Guides
The X4 hits US dealers in July as a 2015 model year. If you're interested in having the first X4 on your block, talk to your local dealer soon. With it's unique looks the BMW X4 is sure to stand out in a crowd, stay tuned for our full driving review. We'll confirm how it drives and what sort of attention it draws in an already crowded SUV market.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- 2011 328i jerks when accelerating
- Changing wheel sizes in an 07 328 x coupe
- Water leak in drivers footwell!
- We up to about 80 million now
- BMW 320xd E91 timing chain?
- Need advice: Oil Level Sensor for e90
- Parting out 2011 E92 BMW M3 - Parts forsale
- BMW 328xi 2008 fault code 2d20
- 07 328i Has Rough Idle
- Help - Looking for New Rims-- it can't be that hard... right?