BMW Misses Ward's 10 Best Interiors, Again.

by Bernie McGroarty on June 6, 2014, 9:30 am
”bmw interiors”

Ward’s Auto World magazine honored automakers who showed off the best vehicle interiors in their 2014 10 Best Interiors list. The Ward’s Top 10 puts all vehicles against each other, regardless of segment.

This years top ten is pretty diverse, ranging from a $24k KIA to a Rolls-Royce Wraith at $372k, yet it seems BMW didn’t make the cut again. I took a quick look and found that they actually haven’t seen a spot since the 2011 list, when the X3 xDrive35i made it in. Has BMW been slacking on their interior designs? Chrysler, Hyundai and Kia all made the list, Chrysler with two entries, so they must be doing something right. It seems like ‘mainstream’ brands are stepping up their games and blurring the line between them and luxury brands.

Check out who’s killing it in the interior department in the list below from Ward’s Auto.

• ’14 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray ($71,960)
• ’15 Chrysler 200C ($31,470)
• ’14 GMC Sierra Denali ($56,685)
• ’14 Hyundai Equus Ultimate ($68,920)
• ’14 Jeep Cherokee Limited ($37,525)
• ’14 Kia Soul+ ($24,010)
• ’14 Mazda3 ($30,415)
• ’14 Mercedes-Benz S550 ($122,895)
• ’14 Rolls-Royce Wraith ($372,800)
• ’15 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Est.*$30,695)

Source Detroit Free Press

11 responses to BMW Misses Ward's 10 Best Interiors, Again.

rmjames007 commented:
June 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Is there anything on why those on the list made it? what were the things that stood out?
hotrod2448 commented:
June 23, 2014, 12:54 pm

I too would love to know the criteria for this list. If it is truly devoid of segmentation I call BS. You mean to tell me someone honestly judged the interior of a Kia Soul or 200C to be better overall than Lexus, Bentley, Aston, Jag or Audi who didn't make the list either? No way, there has to be some criteria to give these more affordable cars a fighting chance.
Hound Passer commented:
June 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the F3x interior pictured - the LCD screen looks even less integrated than that claimed by E9x detractors.

BUT

for anyone to suggest the 200C interior is more refined looking than any found in BMW is absurd unless the criterion for a great interior is lots of pointless buttons, switches, knobs, and lights, accompanied by copious amounts of faux chrome.

Personally I think the 6 series interior, esp. w/ extended leather is among the best interiors of any mass produced car.

Also - Rolls IS on the list. Doesn't BMW still own Rolls?
Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
June 23, 2014, 2:04 pm

From the Wards Auto site:

'Eight WardsAuto editors spent two months evaluating 41 vehicles during their routine commutes in and around metro Detroit and submitted score sheets ranking the entries on features such as ergonomics, driver information, fit-and-finish, materials, value, safety, comfort and design harmony.'

Here is also a link to their original article on the 10 best.
rmjames007 commented:
June 23, 2014, 2:48 pm

Yeah. I have driven. 200 and the car sucks let alone the interior. A dodge dart would be better

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
rajens00 commented:
June 23, 2014, 4:04 pm

While many auto makers are moving towards more soft point and less cheap hard plastic interiors, regrettably the 2 / 3 / 4 Series have been doing the opposite.
mrjoed2 commented:
June 23, 2014, 9:39 pm

I am with Hound. I recently bought a 650i coupe sport edition with the extended leather interior. It has to be the nicest interior I have seen this side of a Aston Martin. I put no credence in this absurd list with junk like Chrysler & Kia
john Dew commented:
June 24, 2014, 1:19 am

A list with a Rolls and a Chrysler is a retarded list of Ward- F*** Ward's Auto-
drstein commented:
June 24, 2014, 9:42 am

Fit, Finish & Materials, .....Kia ??? Chrysler ??? And Comfort.....to think I marvel at my 20 way adjustable seat. The money I could have saved had I waited for the 2015 Chrysler 200..........
Kaxon commented:
June 27, 2014, 12:13 am

I can't speak for the higher end BMWs, but I was not impressed with the materials quality in my 435i. It was a weird combination of nice leather, gorgeous wood trim, and cheap plastic crap. The cheap look and feel of the dashboard drove me nuts.
tturedraider commented:
June 28, 2014, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
....

Agreed on both points.

I didn't really look at the list, because I don't care whether BMW makes it. BMW makes Teutonic, businesslike interiors. They always have. They fail to turn on lots of people.

The fact that the Chrysler 200 appears on that list really torpedos any relevance it might have had.

For all these F3x detractors - I've owned two E46s and and E90 and due to all these complaints leveled at the F3x I have spent a notable amount of time looking at it with an eye to make an informed comparison. The F3x design and materials are not one iota worse than either the E46 or the E9x and they are substantially better than the vast majority of the average everyday car on the market; just as Audi and Merc are.