The M1: BMW's Solitary Supercar
If this isn't stamped somewhere on the BMW M1, it surely should be. The car was originally conceived as a joint Lamborghini-BMW project that would produce a race car with enough street units to meet homologation rules for Group 4 racing. Trouble was, Lamborghini found itself in financial straits and the fellows up in Munich were thus left to finish the M1 on their own. What resulted was a Giugiaro-designed, mid-engined marvel that ended up being the fastest production car of its time.
Mike Ura of the BMW M1 Register shares his passion for the BMW M1, and his personal 1980 M1. His M1 is one of only 399 street cars ever built and he doen't just look at it. "I baby it, in that I take care of it," says Mike, "but I drive it as an M1 should be driven: spirited on the roads, and on the track I drive it hard." The M1 has a 3.5 liter straight six M88/1 capable of 160 mph and it sounds phenomenal. Check it out in the video below from Petrolicious.
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- New Popping / Settling Sound 335i
- Severe rumble/vibration after lowering springs
- My wipers dead - #39 FUSE
- Airbag Recall - Anyone had it done?
- Looking at 2011 328I HT convertable
- Engine start issue. E91 2007 n43. DIS 57 tested.
- E93 2009 cabrio usb not working
- Need advise what to pick?
- Google Play
- 2007 328xi Power steering Pump Noise?