The 2014 BMW i8
The launch of the revolutionary BMW i8 is upon us. A combination of sustainability, innovation and stunning design has built remarkable excitement for a product Motor Trend has simply called "A Masterpiece", the Wall Street Journal deemed it "the Sustainable Supercar" and Car and Driver said it is "Driving the Future". We bring you the 2014 BMW i8 pricing and ordering guides to peruse while waiting for your i8 delivery.
In the US customers have two ordering choices. The choices include Pure Impulse World, a launch unique option (more info below), or Tera World. Beyond those two package choices the only modifiable options will include exterior color and wheel design (see choices below). 90% of the US cars have been pre-spec'ed as Pure Impulse World so chances are that is what you are getting.
Read the Bimmerfest.com i8 driving review
Highlights of the 2014 BMW i8
- Arriving at dealerships this fall the BMW i8 starts at $135,700.00 plus $950 destination and handling fee.
- First plug-in hybrid vehicle from the BMW Group and world's most forward-looking sports car; revolutionary interpretation of BMW's hallmark driving pleasure; groundbreaking premium character clearly defined in terms of sustainability.
- 2+2-seater with LifeDrive architecture developed specifically for BMW i, aerodynamically groundbreaking body design and visionary interior design deliver an intense driving experience; Life module passenger cell made from carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP); drive system technology, high-voltage battery, chassis, and crash and structural functions integrated into the aluminum Drive module; curb weight: 3,285 lbs (1,490 kg); Cd: 0.26; very low center of gravity (below 18 inches); well-balanced weight distribution.
- Emotion-led visual impression based around established BMW i design language; classical sports car proportions and fresh interpretation of BMW design features; doors open upwards like wings; clean lines, plus surface design (external and internal) based on the layering principle; full-LED headlights as standard, innovative laser headlights -unique worldwide- are available as an option where regulations allow (not available in the US).
- Plug-in hybrid system developed and produced by the BMW Group represents the latest development stage of Efficient Dynamics; debut for three-cylinder gasoline engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, displacement: 1.5 liters, output: 231 hp, maximum torque: 236 lb-ft; power sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed automatic gearbox; model-specific hybrid synchronous electric motor, output: 131 hp, maximum torque: 184 lb-ft; power channeled through the front wheels via a two-stage automatic transmission; lithium-ion high-voltage battery with liquid cooling and usable capacity of 5 kWh.
- First combination of BMW TwinPower Turbo and BMW eDrive technology plus intelligent energy management produce system output of 362 hp (max. torque: 420 lb-ft) and give the BMW i8 the performance characteristics of a pure-bred sports car (0-62 mph in 4.4 seconds) combined with fuel economy and emissions comparable to a small car - EU fuel consumption: 94 mpg (US); "glued-to-the-road" AWD driving experience with torque distribution geared towards optimized dynamics.
- Driving Experience Control switch and eDrive button allow driver to choose from five driving modes; range of up to 35 kilometers (22 miles) on electric power alone and a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph); COMFORT mode offers optimum balance between dynamics and efficiency; combined range in everyday conditions: over 500 kilometers (310 miles); SPORT mode with ultra-intense boost function provided by the electric motor; ECO PRO mode can be used in both all-electric mode and hybrid mode.
- Sophisticated chassis technology featuring a double-wishbone front axle and a five-link rear axle; Electric Power Steering; Dynamic Damper Control comes as standard; 20-inch light-alloy wheels are standard.
- Intelligent lightweight construction with elements including a CFRP passenger cell, doors with a CFRP-aluminum structure, an instrument panel with magnesium support, an aluminum chassis and a partition between the passenger compartment and boot made from thin glass; comprehensive safety concept and an ultra-torsionally stiff passenger cell.
- Extensive standard equipment includes the Navigation system Professional with proactive drive system for all-electric driving, fully-digital instrument display, BMW iDrive with freestanding Control Display and leather sports seats; choice of four exterior paint finishes and four interior equipment variants.
- Wide range of BMW ConnectedDrive features: Park Distance Control, cruise control system with braking function, rain sensor and Intelligent Emergency Call function, optional driver assistance package with High Beam Assistant, a rear view camera, Surround View, Speed Limit Info including No Passing Info display, and Collision Warning with pedestrian recognition and braking function; also available are the Head-Up Display, BMW Online Entertainment, Concierge Services, Real Time Traffic Information and mobility services developed specifically for BMW i, e.g. intermodal route guidance as standard.
- Services specifically developed for BMW i as part of the 360° ELECTRIC program: BMW i Charging Station for convenient battery charging at home, ChargeNow card giving customers a cash-free payment option at public charging stations as well as innovative mobility services such as MyCityWay and ParkatmyHouse; flexible sales concept enables made-to-measure mobility solutions.
- All-embracing sustainability concept running like a thread through the value chain; carbon fiber production and vehicle assembly using 100-per cent renewable electricity; high proportion of recycled materials; use of materials manufactured and treated in an environmentally friendly manner.
Pure Impulse World
This is a limited launch package for MY 2014 and MY 2015 only and includes the following -
- Carum Spice Grey full perforated leather
- i8 designation on headrests
- Seat belt in BMW i Blue
- Surface of gear selector switch in zirconium oxide ceramic
- Floor mats with leather border in black with contrast stitching in BMW i Blue
- Engine/Trunk Cover in black leather
- Laser engraved i8 door sill finishers
- All brake calipers painted in black high-gloss with blue detail and 'BMW i' designation
- BMW i Pure Impulse Card for the BMW i Pure Impulse Experience Program (details TBA)
Your package choice of Pure Impulse World or Tera being very limited by BMW NA's pre-spec choices you major decision is the exterior color and the wheels. Which is your favorite combination?
BMW i8 Pricing and Ordering Guides
- 2014 BMW i8 pricing guide
- 2014 BMW i8 ordering guide
- ** MY 2015 pricing and ordering guides coming soon. The 2014 details are current as of 7/1/14
Who is craving an i8 and who has one on order?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Light next to "P" on Gear Console
- Cabin noise on 2009 335 conv
- Wierd sound from wheel
- Chance to buy 2008 BMW 328xi...should I?
- Brake shudder
- Code help - 2A94/2A82/2A87
- Where Do You Buy Your Discounted Parts?
- No Nav At All
- E91 iPod interface doesn't work, two dashes CDC
- E90 Transmission Smell after Fluid Change