BMW's halo car, the i8 took on the Goodwood hill climb this past weekend. The track has an elevation change of 305 feet and with an average gradient of 4.9%, it puts a car to work. The track record is held by Nick Heidfeld who drove a McLaren MP4/13 Formula One car up the hill in 41.6 seconds. The i8 is quick, but isn't going to be competing with that. The drivers of the i8 isn't know but he liked the driving dynamics the i8 offers. Summing up the hill climb experience -
|If no one told you it was a hybrid, you wouldn't know. It is just a fast car.|
The BMW i8 is powered by a three-cylinder gasoline engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and is combined with an electric motor and a lithium-ion battery pack. The 231 hp (170 kW) gasoline engine sends its power to the rear wheels, while the 131 hp (96 kW) electric motor powers the front wheels. This configuration offers all-electric driving capability with a range of up to approx. 22 miles (35 kilometers) and a top speed of approximately 75 mph (120 km/h). With both drive systems engaged, as was used for the hill climb it gives you road-hugging all-wheel-drive performance with powerful acceleration.
Goodwood looks like a blast and is on my bucket list. Has anyone gone?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- New BBS Wheels set off TPMS
- 08 335i w/ idrive bluetooth not discoverable
- Car Walk around before and after service
- A little experiment with techron
- 2011 328i Maintenance Suggestions?
- I thought I saw a recall post...
- 2009 328i won't start
- Turn Signal Issues / Headlight Upgrade Questions
- MY BMW 328i 2008 wont start
- E92 heater/fan problems 335i HELP PLEASE :)