The Epic Driftmob featuring the BMW M235i

by Bernie McGroarty on July 30, 2014, 9:40 am
Is it possible to make a drift-choreography in a rotary traffic? We took some hollywood stunt driver and added the same amount of BMW M235i cars. The result: About 90 seconds of driving pleasure and smoking tires. Please note that all these driving-scenes are real. To avoid accidents, we had to block the road.

Now check out the behind the scenes footage of them putting it all together, with drifting world champion Rhys Millen.

13 responses to The Epic Driftmob featuring the BMW M235i

RPiM5 commented:
July 30, 2014, 10:09 am

Epic!!!
madhotm3 commented:
July 30, 2014, 12:55 pm

epic indeed...
wonder if they damaged any M235s by the time they got it right
uberspeed commented:
July 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

Great seeing these cars driven right
ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

I'm sorry, but "drifting" is not racing, and Rod Millen's kid is not a race car driver. Rod Millen is a race car driver.
ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 12:55 pm

This is Rod Millen setting the Pikes Peak world record in 2011. Note that in actual racing, there is an element of something called "speed":

As opposed to:

ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 1:33 pm

Motor racing is serious business. Deadly serious.

When everything is pushed to the limit, there are consequences. I'm not talking about something like the risk of a fender bender at walking speed while spinning donuts in a parking lot. I'm talking about something like the 234 competitors that have been killed in the 200+ mph Isle Of Man TT:

Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
August 1, 2014, 4:17 pm

Rhys Millen races RallyCross, that's definitely race car driving and dangerous.

”millen in the air”
ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 5:13 pm

Bernie, with all due respects, we will just have to agree to disagree.

No one has ever died in the entire history of "Rallycross".

To me, Rod Millen's kid entering his Hyundai hatchback in 15 amateur races over a three year span, simply makes him Rod Millen's kid. I'd be surprised if his best finish ever (a 3rd place) involved a field of more than four cars. He's just not in the same league as his father.

But Rod Millen's kid aside, "drifting" is still not racing.
ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 5:38 pm

It was Ernest Hemingway that said "There are only three sports- motor racing, mountaineering, and bull fighting. The rest are merely games."

His point, was that it's not a sport if it can't kill you. And spinning donuts in a parking lot probably isn't going to kill anyone.
Bernie@Bimmerfest commented:
August 1, 2014, 6:05 pm

All I was saying is that he is indeed a racecar driver, whether drifting is racing or not.

ZTR commented:
August 1, 2014, 6:12 pm

Fair enough.
Angelbones commented:
August 1, 2014, 6:55 pm

I'm staying neutral in this debate, but I will throw fuel on the fire.

AzNMpower32 commented:
August 2, 2014, 11:12 pm

I definitely recognise that roundabout. I believe it's in Cape Town and actually near the BMW dealership (Auto Atlantic) I visited when I was there a couple years back.

It's a small world (for me, at least).