BMW's latest 3 series hybrid test mule was caught out testing. BMW isn't trying very hard to disguise this eDrive 3 series, giving away all the cues with the "Hybrid Test Vehicle" sticker and the front fender charging port door clearly visible.
Unlike the current 3 series hybrid, the ActiveHybrid3, the eDrive 3 series gives owners the ability to charge up the batteries at home. This gives eDrive owners a true hybrid experience. The eDrive system (at least in the eDrive X5) can run in electric only mode for economy, and sport mode for the enthusiast adding power to the N20 gasoline engines output. In a true winning combination the eDrive system is both ecological and sporty. BMW has been working no this third generation hybrid system for some time now
Possible BMW eDrive 3 Series Drivetrain
- Combined output of 270+ horsepower and 300+lb-ft of torque
- N20 4 cylinder TwinPower gasoline engine makes 245hp, 255lb-ft
- eMotor is BMW designed, ZF built and puts out 95hp and 185lb-ft
- eMotor only option giving the eDrive 3 series 15-20 miles of electric only range
- Battery pack tucked safely under rear trunk floor
- Electronics borrowed from BMW i and applied to the F3x 3 series (and possibly 4 series)
- MPG range could be 75+ depending on driving style
- Electronically actuated clutch can completely decouple engine from drivetrain
- 8 speed ZF transmission standard with a xDrive as a strong possibility
Hands on with the BMW X5 eDrive - a green SUV
Coming in at a more affordable price point, more battery life, a powerful electric motor and putting down more power then the 328i makes this hybrid worth another look. If our speculation on the eDrive drive train is correct, who might consider an eDrive 3 series as their next car?
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Seatbelt Problem
- Trying to hook up aftermarket radio on my 2010 328i BMW. Need help badly
- E92 rear shock "blown"
- Lubricating ventilation fan
- Shift Sector April 2016 BMW Pictures - Extreme Power House
- 2012 328i tech upgrades questions
- ??whistling when accelerating??
- Engine light is on, P2D20
- 2011 LED lights?