BMW Delivers First BMW i8 Sports Cars in the U.S. at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
BMW delivered the first plug-in hybrid BMW i8 sport cars at Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the world’s premier celebration of the automobile, in Carmel, Calif. In celebration of the revolutionary sports car made with carbon fiber, renowned Chef Thomas Keller is hosting an intimate dinner at the BMW Villa for a handful of the first owners of the BMW i8. In addition to hosting the special occasion, Chef Keller, who has set the standard within the hospitality industry with restaurants including Per Se in New York and French Laundry in Napa Valley, is joining the BMW i family after taking delivery of his BMW i8.
Among the first group receiving a BMW i8 is Roger Penske, Chairman of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Team Penske, which operates race teams in both the NASCAR and IndyCar series. With a strong legacy in transportation services, Penske understands the significance of the plug-in sports car to the automotive industry. Rick Hendrick, Chairman of Hendrick Automotive Group, currently the second-largest privately held dealership group in the country, will also be taking delivery of a BMW i8 during Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Additionally, Hendrick is the owner of Hendrick Motorsports, fielding four teams competing in the premier NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
“Today marks an exciting day for BMW of North America, as we take another step towards furthering sustainable mobility with the BMW i8, the plug-in hybrid sports car made with carbon fiber,” said Ludwig Willisch, President & CEO, BMW of North America. “We are proud to see the i8, the second of BMW i’s visionary vehicles, enter the market.”
The list of those joining the exclusive dinner and taking delivery of a BMW i8 at the BMW Villa during Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance also includes:
- Tony Fadell, Founder and CEO of Nest, which reinvents unloved home products, like the thermostat.
- Michael Fux, a pioneer in the mattress and bedding industry and is currently CEO of Comfort Revolution.
- John Hendricks, Founder of the global media company Discovery Communications and Founder of Curiosity Project, a multi-platform service delivering highest-quality deep-dive content to lifelong learners.
- Barry Klarberg, Founder, CEO, Monarch Business and Wealth Management.
- Miles Nadal, Chairman, CEO President and Founder of MDC Partners, one of the largest advertising holding companies worldwide.
- Sam Nazarian, Founder, Chairman and CEO of SBE, a leading global hospitality and entertainment company.
- Patrick Wachsberger, Co-Chairman of Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, a premier next generation global content leader.
With its futuristic design and groundbreaking technology, the BMW i8 operates with extremely low fuel consumption (76 MPGe) and emissions output, and is capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds on the way to an electronically governed top speed of 155 mph. The BMW i8 has an MSRP of $135,700. It joins BMW i’s growing lineup of visionary vehicles dedicated to solving many of the mobility challenges faced by the world’s most densely populated cities.
For updates during Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on BMW’s social media platforms, follow the conversation with:
Twitter hashtags: #BMW, #BMWi8, #BMWi, #HelloFuture
Instagram tags: @BMWUSA
Recent BMW News
Latest Forum Discussions
- Check engine light sos
- buying my first bmw
- LUX H8 160 angel eyes damaged during installation
- Erratic temperature and engine light
- 2007 BMW328i PDC, garage door opener problems
- E92 HeadLights replacement advice!!
- front differential on 328i??
- shop tec
- Sadly Swappin' Out The 19s
- OOPS. need help finding a clip