BMW explains the design of the new 2017 BMW 5 Series

by Bernie McGroarty on December 31, 2016, 11:27 pm
BMW designer Daniel Mayerle explains the interior and exterior design of the seventh generation BMW 5 Series.



Check out an in depth look at the new 5 Series with car journalist Nicki Shields here!

All you need to know about the new 5 Series here!



Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










19 responses to BMW explains the design of the new 2017 BMW 5 Series

Gary J commented:
January 1, 2017, 8:05 am

Very nice video! I liked the explanation of the effect of the tapering lines inside and out.
BobRae commented:
January 1, 2017, 8:45 am

Interesting (sort of) but I'd prefer to listen to an engineer talk about the changes made to the engines, transmission, suspension and steering and how they affect the sporting nature of the car. Also this designer talks about how they use design cues to trick you into feeling you are in a larger interior without saying how much actual physical space was added.
Gary J commented:
January 1, 2017, 9:07 am

To be accurate he talked about the affect of visual cues and impressions of the interior space. Nothing about trying to "trick" anybody.
BobRae commented:
January 1, 2017, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
To be accurate he talked about the affect of visual cues and impressions of the interior space. Nothing about trying to "trick" anybody.
That is the effect of visual design cues, they trick the eye into thinking there is more space than there is. It is a term of reference.
Gary J commented:
January 1, 2017, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRae View Post
That is the effect of visual design cues, they trick the eye into thinking there is more space than there is. It is a term of reference.
It has a different connotation and is not a term he used.
BobRae commented:
January 1, 2017, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
It has a different connotation and is not a term he used.
Whatever you say Gary. BMW used design cues to make the cabin feel more spacious. It's not a crime, but the actual dimensional changes aren't that great except I've read a much needed 1.5" has been added to the rear knee room, which is better than creating a "visual appearance" that there is more knee room.
Gary J commented:
January 1, 2017, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRae View Post
Whatever you say Gary. BMW used design cues to make the cabin feel more spacious. It's not a crime, but the actual dimensional changes aren't that great except I've read a much needed 1.5" has been added to the rear knee room, which is better than creating a "visual appearance" that there is more knee room.
Right, better than adding a feeling of trying to deceive people. "crime" and "tricks" are your words only.
BobRae commented:
January 1, 2017, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Right, better than adding a feeling of trying to deceive people. "crime" and "tricks" are your words only.
What are you 2 years old??
pharding commented:
January 1, 2017, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRae View Post
What are you 2 years old??
Please no more name calling. Gary J didn't deserve that. Donald Trump has certainly trashed the whole idea of polite discourse.
ua549 commented:
January 1, 2017, 6:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Please no more name calling. Gary J didn't deserve that. Donald Trump has certainly trashed the whole idea of polite discourse.
Leave the President-elect out of the discussion. He is certainly better than his opponent who dissed more than half the country with her deplorables discourse.
alex md commented:
January 1, 2017, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Leave the President-elect out of the discussion. He is certainly better than his opponent who dissed more than half the country with her deplorables discourse.


Yes!!!!!!!! Agree!!!!!!


Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
jjrandorin commented:
January 1, 2017, 9:10 pm

There are other forums for political discourse, people....
AntDX316 commented:
January 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

I think your fitness watch make you look unprofessional. You can get the same amount of tracking capability with a good watch like the LG Urbane 2nd edition.
AntDX316 commented:
January 7, 2017, 2:10 pm

Personally I prefer it because the resolution is the highest of any watch and when used with the Staylit app you can actually keep the fact from changing to ambient mode to look professional when needed.
sickk23 commented:
January 9, 2017, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Please no more name calling. Gary J didn't deserve that. Donald Trump has certainly trashed the whole idea of polite discourse.


Asking if you're 2 isn't name calling [emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Snareman commented:
January 10, 2017, 12:21 am

Back on topic...


Is it me or does the front of the car just not look right? The hood just looks too much like a snout or it's too low or too small or something. It just looks like it doesn't fit with the rest of the car. The previous model was sporty sexy and this one just looks not right to me. Maybe its better in person...
sickk23 commented:
January 10, 2017, 8:53 am

I feel the opposite. The previous model was anything but sporty and sexy. It was homely and odd looking, especially the rear.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Eagle11 commented:
January 11, 2017, 1:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Leave the President-elect out of the discussion. He is certainly better than his opponent who dissed more than half the country with her deplorables discourse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Please no more name calling. Gary J didn't deserve that. Donald Trump has certainly trashed the whole idea of polite discourse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRae View Post
What are you 2 years old??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Right, better than adding a feeling of trying to deceive people. "crime" and "tricks" are your words only.
I've alerted the Mods of these comments, they are not needed in this forum. Just stop commenting to each other.
Gary J commented:
January 11, 2017, 7:44 am

Here's an idea - use ignore poster option