BMW i3 End of Lease Purchase Incentive

by Tim Jones on March 14, 2017, 5:30 pm
BMW i3 end of lease incentive

BMW has a lease return problem with the i3. Dealers are ending up with too many lease returned vehicle and not enough people opting to buy out the end of the lease. To solve this BMW is offering dealership between 3,000 and 5,000 to get people to take their i3 home for good.

2017 i3 Information, Pricing and Ordering Guides

Incentives
  • Dealer will receive a monetary incentive to sell the vehicle to the original lessee
    • $5000 if the car is sold as CPO
    • $3000 if the car is sold as pre-owned
  • Free Ultimate Care +1 (1 year free MPU) will be added to the car
  • Eligible for all active CPO Sales Support programs

How much of this bonus will be sent to the consumer isn't clear. The deal has been running from January 5th and ends March 31st. Has anyone had their dealership push the buy out option on their i3?

BMW Leasing 101 - Learn about leasing, get the best deal



Leave a Comment

You must be a registered member to comment on stories. Please take a moment to register for your free account now. If you already have an account, log in using fields below.










7 responses to BMW i3 End of Lease Purchase Incentive

JT///M3 commented:
March 17, 2017, 3:02 am

The only way anyone in their right mind would buy out an i3 lease is if BMW sold it to them at the going retail rate which is roughly 20k for a used i3 with low miles and decent options. Most lease residuals are around the 35k mark so it would be foolish to buy the car at that overvalued amount.
srswans commented:
March 17, 2017, 7:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
The only way anyone in their right mind would buy out an i3 lease is if BMW sold it to them at the going retail rate which is roughly 20k for a used i3 with low miles and decent options. Most lease residuals are around the 35k mark so it would be foolish to buy the car at that overvalued amount.
+1

My buyout was $33K. Neither BMW nor the dealer offered to sell me the car at a reasonable retail price. Needless to say I returned the i3.
JT///M3 commented:
March 17, 2017, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
+1

My buyout was $33K. Neither BMW nor the dealer offered to sell me the car at a reasonable retail price. Needless to say I returned the i3.
So did I and then I got into another i3 for even less than my previous i3! So yeah, no brainer not to buy it out.
pharding commented:
March 20, 2017, 10:51 pm

Only a fool would buy an i3 at lease end. The technology changes rapidly. And they batteries will be insanely expensive to replace.
slipnslider commented:
March 21, 2017, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Only a fool would buy an i3 at lease end. The technology changes rapidly. And they batteries will be insanely expensive to replace.
Am I a fool for considering purchasing a used i3 that I DIDN'T lease?

If I could pay 21k for a 2014 with 20k miles on it, tech package, Giga...

I know it will continue to depreciate rapidly.

At what point do you think it would become a good value?
srswans commented:
March 21, 2017, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipnslider View Post
Am I a fool for considering purchasing a used i3 that I DIDN'T lease?

If I could pay 21k for a 2014 with 20k miles on it, tech package, Giga...

I know it will continue to depreciate rapidly.

At what point do you think it would become a good value?
The batteries are warrantied for 8-years/100K at 70% capacity so you'd be good for six more years. When I turned my i3 in at 24 months with 18K, it seemed like the batteries were close to 100%. That is, I hadn't noticed any drop off since new. Although, keep in mind, 70% capacity would give you less than 40 miles range in the winter. Make sure that this battery warranty transfers though.

To me $20K sounds about right to me. The sticker on mine was $52K. Check KBB and also recent sales. Hopefully people buying using i3s will chime in on this forum and tell us what they paid.
slipnslider commented:
March 22, 2017, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by srswans View Post
The batteries are warrantied for 8-years/100K at 70% capacity so you'd be good for six more years. When I turned my i3 in at 24 months with 18K, it seemed like the batteries were close to 100%. That is, I hadn't noticed any drop off since new. Although, keep in mind, 70% capacity would give you less than 40 miles range in the winter. Make sure that this battery warranty transfers though.

To me $20K sounds about right to me. The sticker on mine was $52K. Check KBB and also recent sales. Hopefully people buying using i3s will chime in on this forum and tell us what they paid.
Well I don't have to worry about winter weather in SoCal, but still 70% of 80mi in warm weather is only 56 miles.

I wonder if BMW will sell new batteries for old i3's and if you'll be able to buy the new larger battery?