Is the BMW M4 GTS Worth Double the Price of a BMW M4?

by Bernie McGroarty on April 7, 2017, 11:49 am
Doug DeMuro borrows an M4 GTS to find out if it's really worth double the price of the M4 it is based off of.

The BMW M4 GTS costs something like $137,000, which is more than twice the price of a base-level M4 ($67,200) and probably about $50,000 more than an M4 with popular equipment. This massive price hike -- coupled with the fact that the M4 GTS requires you to periodically add water to a reservoir in the trunk (I'm serious) -- has caused a bit of a hoopla, with many suggesting it can't possibly be worth the extra money. So when I drove the M4 GTS, I only really had one question on my mind: Is it really worth the extra money?

6 responses to Is the BMW M4 GTS Worth Double the Price of a BMW M4?

FCBayern///M4 commented:
April 7, 2017, 12:40 pm

If I have 137k laying around after my nest egg is where it needs to be then maybe it's worth it. Till then, hell naw! [emoji23]

Even so for that kind of scratch, I'd have to seriously consider a M6GC

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk
captainaudio commented:
April 7, 2017, 6:01 pm

[QUOTE=FCBayern///M4;10106725]I think this question is based on the perspective of income bracket you live in.

Even so for that kind of scratch, I'd have to seriously consider a M6GC

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

People who buy an M4 GTS generally own a number of other cars and those other cars don't tend to be Toyota Corollas or Hyundai Sonatas. Some, having to decide between an M4 GTS and an M6 GC will solve the dilemma by purchasing both,

Is an M4 GTS worth twice as muck as a regular M4 or in some cases 50% more than a regular M4. Apparently it is to some people. Being worth twice as much does not imply being twice as good. As the price of a car goes up the "goodness" may also go up but generally not at the same ratio of the price increase and the point will be reached there are large cost increases for relatively small improvements.
SuperTerp commented:
April 13, 2017, 6:35 am

Didn't purchase mine when I got picked. Just got a v10 R8 though.

I would have for the quick flip for 10-15k that first month they came out, but seeing them stockpiling on dealer lots, I made the right call.

As someone else said this is a car you buy and stick in a garage for 30-40 years. And maybe have multiple other cars you just collect.

Not really something I was interested in... Yet.
335Fanatic commented:
April 13, 2017, 4:57 pm

I don't think M4 GTS is worth the money they're asking for it (especially if it has mark up added). I can think of several cars which I would rather get for this kind of money.

Of course, if money wasn't an issue and I already had 10 other toys, then it would be a different story.
Snappy Phoenix commented:
April 13, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by 335Fanatic View Post

same here, the competition pack has much more value IMO. so you get like 49 BHP more in the GTS for double the price and less technology inside like no audio system and whatnot? no thank you
Drose commented: