BT Software Update [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

BT Software Update

ducx3
10-01-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm having no luck pairing my Nokia N97 phone with my 06 X3. It pairs with my older Blackberry 8120 without problem. I've done the search here and everywhere else and have tried every trick I'd read no luck.

Is there a way to upgrade/update the software of the X3's BT module?

X3-terrestrial
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Not sure about the update. But I've read that you can have up to certain number of phones paired (2 or 3?). If you are not the first owner, it could have been a phone paired already. You may want to delete ALL the paired phones, then try to pair again.
Hope this wasn't one of the tricks you already tried ;)

pdx3
10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I believe the BMW BT TCU isn't upgradeable without an entire TCU swap to a later version. I've never heard of an upgrade or any firmware, even by a dealer. I do know that the BMW BT ULF (different from the TCU, more expensive and slightly more functions) has had hardware changes from version to version, so firmware upgrades are probably not possible anywhere. If you're curious about the hardware changes, check Bimmernav's site: http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html

The BT ULF can have 4 phones paired at one time and I believe the BT TCU is the same. However, without a pairing button, I don't think you can erase the TCU memory, and the pairing button is only available if you have the phone eject box installed in the armrest.

A great knowledge source about BMW Bluetooth is over at Bimmerboard (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/bluetooth/). Their X3 forum isn't as popular as this one, but that BT section has some smart folks. They are the ones who figured out how to "crack" a BT TCU to enable certain functions.

-pd.

X3-terrestrial
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
You can delete all paired phones:

With key in position 0:
1-Press and hold the "talking face" button, then after about 3 seconds turn the key to position 1 and release the button after aprox. 3 seconds. BLUETOOTH PAIRING or a similar message appears on the screen.
2-Press the "talking face" button again for 10 seconds until you hear a triple aoustic signal. PAIRED DEVICES DELETED appears on the screen.
3-To conclude turn the key back to position 0.

ducx3
10-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Not sure about the update. But I've read that you can have up to certain number of phones paired (2 or 3?). If you are not the first owner, it could have been a phone paired already. You may want to delete ALL the paired phones, then try to pair again.
Hope this wasn't one of the tricks you already tried ;)

Tried that this morning, but I couldn't get it to say anything aside from "power off." No messages on the screen. :(
Unless I'm reading it wrong. Position 0 is key in without turning, 1 is first click in.

legalfee
10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
You don't need an eject box to have a pairing button. You can order one from Bimmernav and hide it in the console or remove it after you have paired your phones. What generation ULF have you got?

ducx3
10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
84 10 6963798 - 04. I think it's between 6th and 7th as I can't find this exact number on the linked page above.

pdx3
10-01-2009, 05:58 PM
84 10 6963798 - 04. I think it's between 6th and 7th as I can't find this exact number on the linked page above.

You can't find the exact part on that page because you have a Bluetooth TCU, not a Bluetooth ULF. They have similar but not identical functions. With the ULF, you can control the nav system, and there's a voice note recording feature. The TCU is pretty much phone-only. You can have either a ULF or a TCU in the car, but not both.

Enter your part number into RealOEM.com and you'll get a better sense of where your TCU falls in the "versions" of TCUs. It appears that there are at least 5 part numbers for TCUs that are later/newer than yours. But "later" doesn't always mean there are a lot of changes...

Until you find someone with a TCU that can pair to the N97, I don't know how you can determine which TCU part number you need. Keep asking -- I'm sure someone somewhere has an N97 and a TCU paired.

-pd.

pdx3
10-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Looks like other people are complaining about Nokia phones not pairing to BMW and other cars here: http://discussions.mea.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=connectivity&message.id=24849.

Not sure what else to tell you, sorry...for a "standard" protocol, Bluetooth has a lot of variations, it seems, and if the stars are not aligned, device A can't talk to device B.

I take it your N97 can pair with another intelligent device, say, like a phone or PC and transfer a file? Something more than a headset, I mean.

-pd.

ducx3
10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey thanks for the info! Yes, it has no problems pairing with my computer, transferring files, etc... Not that big of a deal, but considering the price of each (BMW and N97) I would have expected them to work with each other without difficulty.

madurodave
10-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm having no luck pairing my Nokia N97 phone with my 06 X3. It pairs with my older Blackberry 8120 without problem. I've done the search here and everywhere else and have tried every trick I'd read no luck.

Is there a way to upgrade/update the software of the X3's BT module?

I am not sure about the differences, but my wife's E71 (unlocked) pairs fine with our X3 and our 530xi. No issues with connection, contacts, etc.

legalfee
10-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey thanks for the info! Yes, it has no problems pairing with my computer, transferring files, etc... Not that big of a deal, but considering the price of each (BMW and N97) I would have expected them to work with each other without difficulty.
You may want to consider looking on Ebay for a generation 13 ULF. I found one for under $500.

ducx3
10-03-2009, 12:30 AM
I found the answer!!!! Linky here in case anyone is interested. (http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=connectivity&message.id=26095&jump=true#M26095) Anyways, I can get it paired without dropping out now, but still no phone book sync. No big deal as it takes too long to scroll through that anyways.