Leather-free Mercedes Benz [Archive] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Leather-free Mercedes Benz

Alex Baumann
02-08-2005, 03:25 AM
BERLIN (Reuters) - Mercedes-Benz has agreed to offer "leather-free" versions of all its luxury cars to pacify an animal rights group that says thousands of cows are slaughtered each year for leather car seats and interiors.

After complaints from the German chapter of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, DaimlerChrysler said its Mercedes subsidiary will offer fabric or synthetic leather as options.

Daimler spokeswoman Ursula Mertzig-Stein said that far from wanting leather-free cars, "our customers ... are more likely to want even more leather at the premium end. But we'll make cars without leather on demand."

PETA officials, who had threatened protests at the carmaker's Stuttgart headquarters, said they were delighted.

"When you consider that the skins of four to 15 cows are needed for each car this means thousands of cows will be spared," said PETA researcher Edmund Haferbeck. "This is a huge victory for animal rights."

:eek:

ljh824
02-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Are you kidding me? PETA needs to be stopped.

Nick325xiT 5spd
02-08-2005, 04:24 AM
The worst part is that they make me feel bad any time time I look at a car without leather. It's like giving in to the terrorists. ;)

Plaz
02-08-2005, 04:47 AM
"When you consider that the skins of four to 15 cows are needed for each car this means thousands of cows will be spared," said PETA researcher Edmund Haferbeck. "This is a huge victory for animal rights."

Doubtful. Just some hamburger cows' skins will be sold to someone else or discarded. :rolleyes:

LDV330i
02-08-2005, 05:45 AM

What idiotic logic. :confused: Are they assuming that the carcasses from those cows are just discarded after the skin is removed because the beef and beef by-products are not marketable? :dunno::thumbdwn:

Artslinger
02-08-2005, 05:47 AM
Sorry to break this to you Mr. PETA noone "spares" a cow... there is no "spared" cow ranch.
Not unless Mr. PETA cares to pasture the "spared" cows in his backyard.

ChrisTO
02-08-2005, 05:49 AM
i'd like to see what type of dress shoes these PETA folks wear. my guess some are wearing leather shoes.

gojira-san
02-08-2005, 06:00 AM
i'd like to see what type of dress shoes these PETA folks wear. my guess some are wearing leather shoes.Probably those nasty plastic shoes that make your feet sweat... :p

My cynical side says that this is more of a marketing thing to make them look more "green"

ljh824
02-08-2005, 06:45 AM
The worst part is that they make me feel bad any time time I look at a car without leather. It's like giving in to the terrorists. ;)
Yes Nick I agree. If we look at or buy cars without leather, then the terrorists have won. DOWN WITH FABRIC SEATS!!!!

Actually, I have black leatherette. Dammit!

cwsqbm
02-08-2005, 06:48 AM
:) Yes Nick I agree. If we look at or buy cars without leather, then the terrorists have won. DOWN WITH FABRIC SEATS!!!!

You PETA-supporter. Go out and buy a fur coat as pennace.

ljh824
02-08-2005, 07:38 AM
:)

You PETA-supporter. Go out and buy a fur coat as pennace.
:rofl: :rofl:

Hey, I can compensate. All my work shoes are leather, I love hamburgers, and in my lifetime, I've probably eaten a whole damn pig. Everything from the rooter to the tooter!!

hockeynut
02-08-2005, 07:42 AM
This sucks - I am not a huge fan of leather just because of our 100 degree summers. But, I am even less of a fan of PETA and their tactics. So, I guess I will stick with leather just to spite 'em :D

Cliff
02-08-2005, 07:45 AM
My cynical side says that this is more of a marketing thing to make them look more "green":stupid: MB wouldn't be doing it if they were going to lose money on the deal. And some of us actually went to the trouble of special ordering 'ette for our so-called luxury cars :eeps:

hockeynut
02-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes Nick I agree. If we look at or buy cars without leather, then the terrorists have won. DOWN WITH FABRIC SEATS!!!!

The MBs I have rented in Germany all had fabric and I loved it. In fact, if I could have gotten my 330cic with fabric I would have done it.

But it has nothing to do with PETA. It is purely my personal preference.

mng
02-08-2005, 08:34 AM
the leather used in most cars is so corrected/treated etc, it's not worth it anyway...doesn't even feel like leather anymore. the leather in my mom's 330 feels as rough as the leatherette in her old A4. don't even mention the "leather" in my friend's Navigator - resembles plastic more than anything else. a waste, if you ask me.

if OEMs used a full-grain leather (ie, M-Nappa, which is nice) that actually felt like leather and did what leather is supposed to do (ie, wear), then i'd argue it's worth the cost as an option in cars. otherwise, i'd rather have leatherette. So i applaud MB for giving people the choice. we couldn't find a 330 in houston with leatherette :(

Artslinger
02-08-2005, 09:38 AM
the leather used in most cars is so corrected/treated etc, it's not worth it anyway...doesn't even feel like leather anymore. the leather in my mom's 330 feels as rough as the leatherette in her old A4. don't even mention the "leather" in my friend's Navigator - resembles plastic more than anything else. a waste, if you ask me.

if OEMs used a full-grain leather (ie, M-Nappa, which is nice) that actually felt like leather and did what leather is supposed to do (ie, wear), then i'd argue it's worth the cost as an option in cars. otherwise, i'd rather have leatherette. So i applaud MB for giving people the choice. we couldn't find a 330 in houston with leatherette :(

I agree. What is the point of leather in a vehicle outside the full-grain quality leather?

I know the answer to my own question, buyers have been conditioned by branding to make leather a requirement in their luxery cars no matter how cheap the leather is. Most leather in the low-mid luxery cars resembles plastic more than it does leather.

TeamM3
02-08-2005, 11:58 AM
maybe the meat market will soon offer synthetic beef products too :eek: :confused:

and horror of horrors, please don't torture your grass by slicing it's head off with a lawn mower :tsk:

Jamman
02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
i'd like to see what type of dress shoes these PETA folks wear. my guess some are wearing leather shoes.

Clear Heels!

BlackChrome
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Pretty soon all the luxury cars will offer fake wood trim! :tsk:

SONET
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Doubtful. Just some hamburger cows' skins will be sold to someone else or discarded. :rolleyes:
This is exactly true. I have family 'in the business' and it's amazing how they really do utilize every part of the animal. If you slaughter it for food (and this will continue), you may as well use the rest of it for other things. That's more of an 'environmentaly friendly' approach than PETA is taking. I'm sure they would see this if they would start thinking and stop being so reactionary.

--SONET

mng
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Pretty soon all the luxury cars will offer fake wood trim! :tsk:
again, it might as well be.

Range Rovers and Aston Martins notwithstanding...the crap they put in BMW is shined and laquered to death. i honestly couldn't tell you if it's real, except it says so on the options sticker.

RR:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/images/autoreview/lrg/04409011990001LRG.jpg

This is a repost, but here's an article w/ Fisker dropping some knowledge (http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100485)

TXE39
02-08-2005, 02:21 PM
again, it might as well be.

Range Rovers and Aston Martins notwithstanding...the crap they put in BMW is shined and laquered to death. i honestly couldn't tell you if it's real, except it says so on the options sticker.

Range Rovers do have nice wood in them. Mine has French Walnut (dull finish) crafted for Land Rover by the Holland & Holland gun maker,