Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   7 Series Display Key lost (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339231)

LastDeuS 07-20-2019 09:11 AM

7 Series Display Key lost

So I did not actually lose the key more like I never had it bought this car and the seller had lost the key and never cared,
Now I see this key for about $150 on Ebay and wanted to know if it is something that can be programmed easily
This car has the option I decoded the vin
Thanks in Advance guys.

AlteBMW 07-20-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastDeuS (Post 13059041)
So I did not actually lose the key more like I never had it bought this car and the seller had lost the key and never cared,
Now I see this key for about $150 on Ebay and wanted to know if it is something that can be programmed easily
This car has the option I decoded the vin
Thanks in Advance guys.

Be wary of keys on eBay. I do not believe there is a way to program it yourself. Maybe some third parties could do it but I'm not sure. A dealer will not. BMW for security reasons controls the keys tightly.

LastDeuS 07-20-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlteBMW (Post 13059267)
Be wary of keys on eBay. I do not believe there is a way to program it yourself. Maybe some third parties could do it but I'm not sure. A dealer will not. BMW for security reasons controls the keys tightly.

oh so you think the only way would be something like bimmertech $900 retrofit option?

AlteBMW 07-20-2019 07:03 PM

I don't know about Bimmertech. though they are a reputable co.
When you say the car has the option, are you saying display key or remote parking? I ask because the display key is not very useful other than for remote parking. Everything else you can do on the key you can do on the BMW connected app. If you don't have remote parking or if you think you won't have a need for it, spending $900 on a display key is a lot of money for nothing. What I am pretty sure about is you will not get a functional display key for $150.

LastDeuS 07-20-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlteBMW (Post 13059391)
I don't know about Bimmertech. though they are a reputable co.
When you say the car has the option, are you saying display key or remote parking? I ask because the display key is not very useful other than for remote parking. Everything else you can do on the key you can do on the BMW connected app. If you don't have remote parking or if you think you won't have a need for it, spending $900 on a display key is a lot of money for nothing. What I am pretty sure about is you will not get a functional display key for $150.

My thoughts exactly, I was willing to get one if there was not a lot of money to get get it but I will do a little more research just to make sure, my car does not have remote control parking but I did wondered if it was possible to retrofit as it has every other package on the d.o.g.
there was a thread about it but nothing too specific