Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Coolant and Brake Fluid replace (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1352027)

akii 10-23-2019 03:57 PM

Coolant and Brake Fluid replace
 
I need to do a coolant and brake fluid flush. Does anyone know how many gallon on the coolant or Brake Fluid I need?

edycol 10-24-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akii (Post 13140987)
I need to do a coolant and brake fluid flush. Does anyone know how many gallon on the coolant or Brake Fluid I need?



I would get gallon of coolant. As for brake fluid, usually takes a liter to flush it. If you do it yourself, buy 1.5-2ltr as you donít want to run out of fluid during flush.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akii 10-24-2019 11:46 AM

They recommend 50/50 mix. 1 Gallon will yield 2 gallons.

Brake fluid came with 12 fl oz. 1 Litter will need about 3 bottles. So 5 bottles will be enough?

namelessman 10-24-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akii (Post 13141707)
They recommend 50/50 mix. 1 Gallon will yield 2 gallons.

Brake fluid came with 12 fl oz. 1 Litter will need about 3 bottles. So 5 bottles will be enough?

Online search says N55 engine has coolant capacity of 10L(10.5 quarts). 1 gallon coolant + 1 gallon water 50/50 is around 8 quarts, but it is likely some coolant will still be trapped in engine block.

My mechanic charged me for 1 liter($10-$12?) of DOT4 for the brake flush, so around 5-6 bottles of 12 fl-oz should be plenty.

Our BMW 10-25-2019 07:18 AM

Here's some good info on brake fluids: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...id-81220142156
Also if you capture the old, it's lifetime guaranteed.

John in VA 10-25-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessman (Post 13141761)
My mechanic charged me for 1 liter($10-$12?) of DOT4 for the brake flush, so around 5-6 bottles of 12 fl-oz should be plenty.

1 liter = 33.814 US fluid oz. One 32 oz. (0.946 liter) bottle of Prestone or Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 brake fluid - $6-8 at the big box parts places - will usually do the job, unless you want to pay more for the low-viscosity stuff (like Pentosin DOT 4 LV brake fluid).

namelessman 10-25-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John in VA (Post 13142845)
1 liter = 33.814 US fluid oz. One 32 oz. (0.946 liter) bottle of Prestone or Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 brake fluid - $6-8 at the big box parts places - will usually do the job, unless you want to pay more for the low-viscosity stuff.

Yes BMW brake fluid is DOT4 low viscosity for $4/12 ounces, local indy uses Pentosin low viscosity, which sells for $50/5L.

akii 10-28-2019 07:33 AM

why people use Motul brake fluid? Is it much better than OEM? temperature wise???

John in VA 10-28-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akii (Post 13144703)
why people use Motul brake fluid? Is it much better than OEM? temperature wise???

Compare the dry boiling points of the products you're interested in & choose what you prefer.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.