Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Does anyone driving manual wish they had an automatic sometimes? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276282)

JingChai 06-16-2018 11:55 PM

Does anyone driving manual wish they had an automatic sometimes?

I been driving manual almost all my life and sometimes wish I had an automatic, especially during bumper to bumper traffic. Not having to constantly step on the clutch and shift gears after a long day at work would be really nice.

Has anyone else ever felt the same way before for all the manual owners out there?

Inline 6IX 06-16-2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JingChai (Post 12582926)
I been driving manual almost all my life and sometimes wish I had an automatic, especially during bumper to bumper traffic. Not having to constantly step on the clutch and shift gears after a long day at work would be really nice.

Has anyone else ever felt the same way before for all the manual owners out there?

yep, definitely but I miss driving manual when I'm daily driving an automatic far more than vice-versa.

crucial. 06-17-2018 12:33 AM

Yeah, only during traffic. Other than that i love the feeling of shifting gears, especially 6 gears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bocabimmer 06-17-2018 05:20 AM

Does anyone driving manual wish they had an automatic sometimes?

Only in traffic or when my Achilles tendinitis flares up. Itís what prevents me from getting an i3 again even though I miss that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

mike8162 06-17-2018 05:47 AM

I've not had a problem with my 330i. These cars have a pretty light clutch pedal. I have been caught in traffic with my old 442 which has an incredibly heavy clutch. Started to get the shakes in the left leg, not fun but still wouldn't trade either for an automatic. As a bonus the GF doesn't know how to drive a stick so it keeps her out of the driver's seat.

Cheers

fdriller9 06-17-2018 09:57 AM

Haha I'm the opposite. I have an automatic and I am swapping a manual trans into it. I have all the parts, just need to find the motivation/time to start the swap

Matthew_H 06-17-2018 03:59 PM

I did have a manual car before. I used to have a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder 5spd manual . My current 335i is auto. I do like cruising in auto but I do miss going thru gears sometimes.
Iím convincing my coworker to sell me his manual Suzuki Tracker. I worked on it yesterday and it was fun to drive. That thing would be beast in winter too

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

xxE92 06-17-2018 04:13 PM

I have an automatic and sometimes missed having a manual especially living on a mountain. So I bought a new VW Golf 6 speed manual as my daily runabout and I am happy again. I use the E92 for special occasions.

CALWATERBOY TRE 06-17-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JingChai (Post 12582926)

Thatís the way I feel about it. Not for the daily driver....no....

e93to 06-17-2018 05:46 PM

Everytime I drive in Toronto traffic, I am glad I didn't get manual.

E91328i_Toronto 06-17-2018 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e93to (Post 12583862)
Everytime I drive in Toronto traffic, I am glad I didn't get manual.

Feel the same way - my automatic e91 is my daily driver (but the paddles are a good compromise) and my 993 is the weekend drive for country roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

cityjohn 06-17-2018 11:03 PM

The opposite for me. It's when I'm stuck in hours-long stop-and-go traffic that I most wish I had my manual shift.

rdkind62 06-18-2018 06:46 AM

I had a Z4 with a manual, and that is part of the reason I got rid of it and got my 335is.

CD 1999Z3 Coupe 06-19-2018 05:15 PM

Manual v auto

I can only offer my perspective, please bear with me.

Started with 20 years of fun manual cars (Datsun 610, Honda Civic Si, Prelude Si, the most fun car ever at $16K), I got married, and got a "grown up" vehicle, an automatic but bulletproof Toyota 4Runner. After 20+ years in an automotive joy desert, I abandoned the 4Runner to wife and daughter and acquired a '99 BMW Z Coupe 2.8 with yes, a 19-year old 5-speed. It's great to be engaged with a vehicle again.

My advice to you is to ask: does the exhilaration and joy of being an integral part of a machine in every situation outweigh the time you must endure stop-and-go traffic? At this stage of my life, it absolutely does. It works on a bumper sticker: "Don't postpone joy."

If you can only have one vehicle, you do you. BTW you could always find an automatic with AC that you can stand to be seen in, and drive that to work. Then you can drive it and save the miles on your BMW even as you regret not driving it.

Signed,
Damn this Kool-aid tastes good

TomPack 06-19-2018 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a 98í Z3 and could not imagine it with a Auto box......itís a sports car and sports cars have stick shifts!

Mickey T 06-19-2018 05:43 PM

I have an i3 and during those occasions when I have to drive an ICE vehicle, I get bothered I have to use the brake instead of one pedal driving. So yeah, I can see what you mean about an automatic....

babikes 06-19-2018 05:53 PM

I've driven sticks since owning a Karmann Ghia in 1967 to when I traded a 2011 M3 2 years go. My current ride is an auto 2015 435i vert. I still have fun, especially in sport mode!

Danleywolfe 06-19-2018 05:54 PM

fdriller said: "Haha I'm the opposite. I have an automatic and I am swapping a manual trans into it. I have all the parts, just need to find the motivation/time to start the swap.

My question is "WHY" are you swapping to manual????

I greatly prefer manual BMW for other reasons. I currently have an '08 750i which of course is automatic - I doubt if it is available in manual. But I have owned four 3 series at an earlier period of my life. If you understand the car and how manual works you will use it to make the ride superior. Upshift accelerating, downshift decelerating, downshift moving into a turn and then upshifting again 3/4 way through the turn as you pull out of the turn. I think also more fuel efficient since the car is working the way it should in using the gears to full advantage in sync with the throttle.

rma1344 06-19-2018 06:38 PM

Back in the day I had a Taurus SHO . I went to a podiatrist who cut off my left toenail which I had jammed playing tennis. I couldn't depress the clutch so I shifted anyway. What a disaster!

Catalor 06-19-2018 06:54 PM

I bought a new M3 with the competition package and it's an automatic. I'm 48 and had my days of racing and the benefits of a manual. I enjoy the comfort of no clutch and no shifting while driving.

twh 06-19-2018 06:58 PM

Only rarely do I wish for an automatic -- even in traffic.

Jet96BMW 06-19-2018 07:12 PM

At 20 years old in 1978 I brought my first car. It was a 1974 124 sport Fiat 5speed STICK with a duo barrel Webber carburetor, rack and pinion steering, 50in tire. I drove that baby until the bottom fell out. Actually the car rusted out from being ship from oversea at a time where rust prevention was not big with the company. Fast forward after many automatic cars at 57 year I pick up my first bimmer. A 1996 Z3 5speed 4 cylinder STICK. It been my daily car for the last four years. I drive her as if she was stolen. Mine you I get great joy every time I get behind the wheel. Best years driving has been with a manual.

StanClauson 06-19-2018 09:20 PM

Actually wishing I could move to Europe just to have a newer manual. Never wish for an automatic.

machtnichts 06-19-2018 10:12 PM

Nev-er wish I had an automatic.

Watchme 06-20-2018 04:44 AM

Almost every weekend on my drives I wished I had AUTO while driving my manual RSX-S, shifting got tiring quick in traffic.
I have an AUTO 328 now and during easy weekend drives I wish I could shift myself during spirited driving (Sport mode does not quite cut it). We always miss what we don't have.