Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Advice on Long Garaged 540i (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1336785)

BSDGuru 07-01-2019 10:30 AM

Advice on Long Garaged 540i

I have a 2003 540i that's been sitting in a garage for 3 years that I need to get rid of it. I'm just not sure of what to do. I "assume" that it's not safe to just jump and try to start it; the question is whether or not it would just be a can of worms to try to revive it.

Im concerned that if I have it towed to a service garage they're going to charge me $100s to tell me that it's going to cost more than it's worth to get it on the road. Im in a condo so I can't do much work on it myself.

What steps should I take to either get this back on the road or just unload it?

viggen73 07-01-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDGuru (Post 13042183)
I have a 2003 540i that's been sitting in a garage for 3 years that I need to get rid of it. I'm just not sure of what to do. I "assume" that it's not safe to just jump and try to start it; the question is whether or not it would just be a can of worms to try to revive it.

Im concerned that if I have it towed to a service garage they're going to charge me $100s to tell me that it's going to cost more than it's worth to get it on the road. Im in a condo so I can't do much work on it myself.

What steps should I take to either get this back on the road or just unload it?

Can U ship it to Portugal? :D I would try to revive it but I'm totally bias... Is it manual or auto?

BSDGuru 07-01-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen73 (Post 13042189)
Can U ship it to Portugal? :D I would try to revive it but I'm totally bias... Is it manual or auto?

I't Automatic. Maybe someone in South Florida has the same idea?

viggen73 07-01-2019 10:45 AM

I would put some fresh gas and try to jump start it. How many miles on the clock?

BSDGuru 07-01-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viggen73 (Post 13042197)
I would put some fresh gas and try to jump start it. How many miles on the clock?

67,000 Miles

Gas goes bad?

viggen73 07-01-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDGuru (Post 13042209)
67,000 Miles

Gas goes bad?

Yeap after 6 months it loses a lot of its octanes.

Joe-BMW 07-01-2019 11:12 AM

67,000 miles, that thing is definitely revivable!

edjack 07-01-2019 11:59 AM

After three years, the gas has probably turned to varnish. Do not try to start it until you have cleaned out the tank, and put in fresh gas.

It will also need fresh coolant, and a brake system flush, and probably a new battery.

You might be better off selling it as-is, and making it clear that the car has been stored.

Rob Siegel would love to get his hands on this thing.

528iAut 07-01-2019 12:22 PM

Post a picture, we need to drool....

1BlinkGone 07-01-2019 12:33 PM

GOOD HEAVENS YES!!! Bring it!!

Edgy36-39 07-01-2019 01:10 PM

Is the car in decent shape? I'll spare you the "how could you let it sit for three years" question b/c 1. it's none of my business and 2. it's not relevant at this point. However, a car that sits for three years might indicate a lot of maintenance not done. What's the overall condition?

If the car is in OK shape, there is a chance it could be sold for decent money after some relatively easy sprucing up is done. I'd almost guarantee that any service station you have tow it would give you inflated estimate, then a lowball offer to buy the car. Then change fluids (maybe), quick detail and sell for $6-7K, maybe more if it has the 03 M aero bits. Do you care about leaving money on the table, or just want the problem off your hands?

Whatever your answer to that question, first step is as others have stated - new gas, see if car runs.

Chedley 07-01-2019 03:32 PM

So, I assume the car is garaged in Florida, right ?
If yes, give me a call. I'd fly to Florida, spruce up the car, and drive it back to Oregon....Seriously, PM me...!!

Burning2nd 07-01-2019 05:39 PM

step 1 check the oil level..

step 2 check the coolant level..

step 4 start it...

Santaclaus4 07-01-2019 06:06 PM

Charge the battery first before you try to jump-start it. The gasoline that's in it is getting old but it's probably good enough to start and run the car.

BSDGuru 07-01-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgy36-39 (Post 13042359)
Is the car in decent shape? I'll spare you the "how could you let it sit for three years" question b/c 1. it's none of my business and 2. it's not relevant at this point. However, a car that sits for three years might indicate a lot of maintenance not done. What's the overall condition?

If the car is in OK shape, there is a chance it could be sold for decent money after some relatively easy sprucing up is done. I'd almost guarantee that any service station you have tow it would give you inflated estimate, then a lowball offer to buy the car. Then change fluids (maybe), quick detail and sell for $6-7K, maybe more if it has the 03 M aero bits. Do you care about leaving money on the table, or just want the problem off your hands?

Whatever your answer to that question, first step is as others have stated - new gas, see if car runs.

I've done enough research to know thats a bad idea.

The reason is that I bought a new car and procrastination; $5K wasnt enough of a motivation at the time.

I think I'll probably take my chances with one of the local BMW shops. They may be hungry in the summer for some business and not burn me too badly.

Chedley 07-01-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSDGuru (Post 13042683)
I think I'll probably take my chances with one of the local BMW shops. They may be hungry in the summer for some business and not burn me too badly.

They probably will not try to burn you badly, if you point them to read this thread first. ;)
And just say no...to any job they quote. :rofl:

Seriously, here's what I would do:

-- Buy and install a new charged battery. The battery in the car is probably very old and dead anyway.
-- Buy a few gallons of fresh super unleaded gas, and pour it in.
-- Check the level (and replenish ? ) the engine oil and the coolant.
-- Start it, and drive it across the country...I'd buy it as offered above. ;)

Burning2nd 07-02-2019 02:06 AM

lots of other thinking here..

Literally you probably dont have to do anything but try to start it..

have you even turned the key?
is it dead?

everyone is acting like we are putting a shuttle in orbit.. its a fricken 20 year old bmw...

check fluids
apply voltage...
run it..

It didnt just magically blow up..

IF it even starts, If your really concerned.. crank it over a few times b4 letting it start (*pull the fuel relay or d/c the fuel pump) so you can crank it.. to get oil moving..

Mr.Yuck 07-02-2019 11:28 AM

I'd charge it up, drain as much gas as you can, add new gas and some fuel line cleaner, check the oil and fire it. 67k is NOTHING. The only problem I see is if you had some mice use the thing for housing.

u.nanimous 07-02-2019 12:18 PM

After sitting 3 years that battery can fry the alternator! If you don't put in a fresh battery follow the jumpstart instructions exactly in the owners manual!!!
Personally I'd put a wrench on the crank and give it a few turns by hand before turning the key (with the proper fuses pulled). That is of course after checking the oil.
As for the gas I guess it depends on what kind and how much is in the tank, but pouring in a couple gallons of fresh stuff won't break the wallet and will definitely be a simple and good thing.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

edjack 07-02-2019 04:43 PM

After sitting 3 years that battery can fry the alternator!

How so?

Burning2nd 07-02-2019 05:42 PM

id be more curious to know what kind of charge remains.. I bet its hold 8-10 volt still

the battery is not going to fry the alternator

BSDGuru 07-08-2019 12:18 PM

The battery was completely dead 2.5 years ago

crazy4trains 07-08-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning2nd (Post 13042609)
step 1 check the oil level..

step 2 check the coolant level..

step 4 start it...

I'll bite:

What's step 3?

Hitdog540 07-08-2019 03:26 PM

Step 3 - pray! :thumbup:

barleymanz 07-08-2019 03:33 PM

There is a ChrisFix YouTube video for on restarting an abandoned car. Lot of the same things as listed above, but you may also want to pull the spark plugs and spray a little fogging oil in the cylinder to give it some lubrication before starting it for the first time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest