Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - 2015) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Problems after disconnecting the battery (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272076)

itsrhadoo 05-29-2018 10:46 AM

Problems after disconnecting the battery

Hi gang,

Recently due to some service requirements the battery had to be disconnected for almost 24 hours. After plugging it back on two issues appeared:

1. the front windows are not working properly. I can only go full down before going up again. The first / second position doesn't work. I only push once and they tend to go full down and I can only stop them by pressing up. But if I want them to go up again, they won't until they go fully down. I have tried every single reset method on the internet. It simply doesn't work

2. the welcome lights doesn't work properly. When I unlock the car, only the tail lights and license plate lights are turning on, but the angel eyes not. I have read about some low battery issue but since then I have made at least 2 long roads so the battery supposedly must've charged back

Any ideas? Thanks!

Doug Huffman 05-29-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsrhadoo (Post 12547356)
I have made at least 2 long roads so the battery supposedly must've charged back. Any ideas? Thanks!

Your BMW will NEVER EVER fully charge its battery, not if you ran it forever.

Buy a proper battery CHARGER and charge in accordance with your car’s owners manual and the CHARGERS manual. The first time be prepared to leave the charger on for 24 hours.

With a nominal 100 AH battery and a CHARGER for AGM batteries’ 4 amps MAXIMUM output it will take ~24 hours to recover a seriously depleted battery.

itsrhadoo 05-29-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 12547362)
Your BMW will NEVER EVER fully charge its battery, not if you ran it forever.

Buy a proper battery CHARGER and charge in accordance with your car’s owners manual and the CHARGERS manual. The first time be prepared to leave the charger on for 24 hours.

With a nominal 100 AH battery and a CHARGER for AGM batteries’ 4 amps MAXIMUM output it will take ~24 hours to recover a seriously depleted battery.

Yeah, I agree. But it has to be fully charged? I mean there's not a threshold or something like that? It necessarily has to be 100% full so my front welcome lights to work again?

Tommy D 06-04-2018 05:46 PM

Lets start with the basics. Do you own a voltmeter or multimeter that reads DC volts? Probe the battery with the car off and let us know what reading you get.

MHMacLean 07-20-2018 02:20 PM

I'm guessing you got an answe already, but just in case...
I had that happen with my Mini Cooper. A flaw in the original FRM would sometimes cause it to get fried when the battery was reconnected. It was happening enough at the dealerships that they covered it under warranty even over 100k miles.