Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Having trouble removing the alternator, ASAP... (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1271306)

Semerka 05-25-2018 12:57 PM

Having trouble removing the alternator, ASAP...
 
Hi guys. My 2007 X5 4.8i is our winter vehicle. So I am fixing it these days. I got an oil leak through oil thermostat gasket, so I am trying to change it. The procedure requires removing the alternator. Upon removal of all things like braces, wires, bolts etc. I have the alternator ready to go. But it won't... :mad: It moved about 12 mm (looking at the Top bolt hole I can see most of it). But it took too much effort and a pry bar to get there. I never heard anyone on Youtube mentioning this problem (hard to remove / install alternator once it is unbolted). Does anyone know?

Doug Huffman 05-25-2018 01:02 PM

Removing alternator. Www.NewTIS.info
 
newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW E70 X5 4.8i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 12 Engine electrical system / 12 31 Alternator with Drive and Mounting Parts / 12 31 020
Removing and installing or replacing alternator (N62)

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-parts/GUMKp5R

Semerka 05-25-2018 01:27 PM

Thank you Doug. I haven't removed the passive tensioner, nor the refrigerant line holder yet. The thing is that the alternator doesn't drop off. Not that I don't have any room to pull it out, but it is just like stuck on the engine.

Doug Huffman 05-25-2018 01:40 PM

Did ya whack it gently - apply mechanical hysteresis - to break corrosion alternator frame to engine block?

Semerka 05-25-2018 01:48 PM

Yes I did wack it with a 16 oz. hammer through a 2 x 2 piece of wood. I don't see any corrosion marks on the engine though. Of course the corrosion may be on the alternator mounting fork itself.

ArgentoCarNut 05-25-2018 01:52 PM

Bigger hammer?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semerka 05-25-2018 01:55 PM

I am a bit scared, but of course have considered that. Have you had this problem and applied this solution?

Doug Huffman 05-25-2018 02:05 PM

Only when I was sure that that was the only impediment to the piece coming loose.

More gentle that a whack is an overnight soak in Coca-Cola dilute phosphoric acid (Coca-Cola Merchandise No. 4) solution - 2 pH. Soak a rag in coke and wrap it where it will do the most good.

giaka 05-25-2018 02:21 PM

Can you post a pic of your alternator as it sits now?

Semerka 05-25-2018 02:30 PM

Thanks, Doug. I don't think it is possible to wrap a soaked rag, but I will try. I believe that vinegar has the same acidity as Coca Cola, so I may as well use it?

ArgentoCarNut 05-25-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semerka (Post 12541780)
Thanks, Doug. I don't think it is possible to wrap a soaked rag, but I will try. I believe that vinegar has the same acidity as Coca Cola, so I may as well use it?



If located in US, try this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ef48656318.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArgentoCarNut 05-25-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semerka (Post 12541746)
I am a bit scared, but of course have considered that. Have you had this problem and applied this solution?



Same issue. Different BMW (and Iíll admit, a couple too many brewskis).


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Huffman 05-25-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semerka (Post 12541780)
Thanks, Doug. I don't think it is possible to wrap a soaked rag, but I will try. I believe that vinegar has the same acidity as Coca Cola, so I may as well use it?

Absolutely. 1 M acetic acid is 2.4 pH. 1 M is about the concentration of household vinegar.

acoste 05-25-2018 02:47 PM

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

Semerka 05-25-2018 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by giaka (Post 12541770)
Can you post a pic of your alternator as it sits now?

Sure. Just don't have a heart attack seeing it. The oil is leaking like crazy

Doug Huffman 05-25-2018 03:03 PM

I don't see any corrosion. It looks to me like it's cocked on the very tight parallel surfaces. I think judicious tapping and wriggling to get the alternator square on the mounting surfaces and it ought'a slide off.

acoste 05-25-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 12541842)
It looks to me like it's cocked on the very tight parallel surfaces.

+1, needs to get off evenly

I filed mine a bit before putting it back so it was easier. Otherwise it is even harder to put back than removing since there is no leverage point.

Semerka 05-25-2018 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you guys all. I really liked all the suggestions, and I think Doug ruled out the corrosion issue. I also like the Pelican suggestion where to put the pry bar to move the thing. If I can move it up than I can tap it down later, and so on. I really don't like the bushing on the back side of the alternator fork

ArgentoCarNut 05-25-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 12541842)
I don't see any corrosion. It looks to me like it's cocked on the very tight parallel surfaces. I think judicious tapping and wriggling to get the alternator square on the mounting surfaces and it ought'a slide off.



This


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semerka 05-25-2018 03:42 PM

Okay then. You guys have been a great help for me. Maybe you can suggest something on the following?

1. This infamous oil thermostat gasket. Should I use a Permatex oil-resistant silicone on a new gasket to have it done once and for all?
2. I am an engineer, but not electrical. When I get the alternator out, what is the best way to clean it without disassembly not worrying about its gut contamination?

giaka 05-26-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Semerka (Post 12541826)
Sure. Just don't have a heart attack seeing it. The oil is leaking like crazy

LOL Yeah thats kinda nasty :jawdrop:. Hope you get it out.

deroy 05-27-2018 01:58 PM

Having trouble removing the alternator, ASAP...
 
Op are you absolutely positively sure the alternator has to come off? I think the x5 v8 has the alternator bolted to the engine block and the oil gasket thing is a completely separate part and may be better accessible from below or through the wheel well

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3990


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest

Semerka 05-27-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deroy (Post 12544572)
Op are you absolutely positively sure the alternator has to come off? I think the x5 v8 has the alternator bolted to the engine block and the oil gasket thing is a completely separate part and may be better accessible from below or through the wheel well

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3990


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest

Yes, I am absolutely sure that N62 has the oil thermostat cover hidden under the alternator. All videos say that, here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oE4QlA-RG0&t=2s

deroy 05-27-2018 02:30 PM

Yeah saw that one.

But given your troubles; removing a wheel and some plastic may well be worth the try.


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest

Semerka 05-27-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deroy (Post 12544614)
Yeah saw that one.

But given your troubles; removing a wheel and some plastic may well be worth the try.


Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest


Well, what I did I drained the oil sitting the truck on the ramps. It is very difficult for me now to remove the left ramp and put the vehicle on the stand to remove the tire. Besides, I still can't see any access to the alternator from the wheel side yet. It sits right against the frame. Not the plastic cover


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.