Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Detail Department (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Water?? Spots (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1348081)

320kplus 09-25-2019 10:13 AM

Water?? Spots
 
So my 2013 E70 35xi LCI has these spots on the chrome trim...
How do you remove something like this and what's the the best preventative maintenance solution?
TIA!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...26a051e98a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5405389138.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Johnz3mc 09-25-2019 04:21 PM

Chemical Guys makes a heavy duty water spot remover - I've never tried it. Ascetic acid / vinegar works. Chrome polish.

As for prevention, I'd go some sort of sealant - most anything'll work. Jescar Powerlock, two layers should give long term protection. Ditto one of the SiO2 sealants. Spritz these onto the wheel then blast it with a heavy water stream. The SiO2 category of products are extremely easy to use. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is an example of the SiO2 family of products and you can use it on wheels, paint, glass, trim, cars, refrigerators, skis, your little sister, anything.
FK1000p would be a winner too.

320kplus 09-25-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnz3mc (Post 13115995)
Chemical Guys makes a heavy duty water spot remover - I've never tried it. Ascetic acid / vinegar works. Chrome polish.

As for prevention, I'd go some sort of sealant - most anything'll work. Jescar Powerlock, two layers should give long term protection. Ditto one of the SiO2 sealants. Spritz these onto the wheel then blast it with a heavy water stream. The SiO2 category of products are extremely easy to use. Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is an example of the SiO2 family of products and you can use it on wheels, paint, glass, trim, cars, refrigerators, skis, your little sister, anything.
FK1000p would be a winner too.

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Johnz3mc 09-26-2019 11:14 AM

Glad to help 320kplus.
It's nice to be able to help a fellow car buff,

320kplus 09-28-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320kplus (Post 13115657)
So my 2013 E70 35xi LCI has these spots on the chrome trim...
How do you remove something like this and what's the the best preventative maintenance solution?
TIA!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...26a051e98a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5405389138.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

**UPDATE**
Just tried chemical guys heavy duty spot remover and I'm back to square one. For the most part I'm dissatisfied and disappointed. Not much of a change. I hate wasting time and money. I'm going to reach out to them directly and see if they have a better solution. URGH

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Doug Huffman 09-28-2019 03:04 PM

Images don't look like water spots to me. I am sure that they will have a better product for you to buy and try, but without any guarantees!

Images look to me like corrosion under a clear surface.

320kplus 09-30-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 13118443)
Images don't look like water spots to me. I am sure that they will have a better product for you to buy and try, but without any guarantees!

Images look to me like corrosion under a clear surface.

How the hell does that happen?
[A little history: I got this vehicle out of South Florida… it looks like up close that is, somebody washed the vehicle and left soapy water on the trim for the Sun to bake into the Chrome for hours and hours...] Any experience with something like this? I've never seen anything like this...


Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

zoom750 10-24-2019 08:12 AM

I read somewhere that something like this was effective.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...kit-43657.html


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.