Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - 2015) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Brand new base x1, thoughts? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980091)

YLT 05-20-2017 06:37 PM

Brand new base x1, thoughts?

Hi,

I recently found a 2015 base trim x1 at dealer's lot with 100 miles in. Vin checks out all good with no open recall. Car itself is in great condition. The only option added seems to be power seats. I got the dealer to agree on $25k OTD.

What do you guys think? I like what I see, don't care much about options. However the RFT on highway with loose gravel does create pretty loud noise and I am not a fan...

Der_Kommissar 05-21-2017 08:14 PM

xDrive or sDrive? Is it considered new or has it been punched (so the warranty clock has started)? Does it have any trim other than silver (because that's an option on that car)? Personally, I'd rather pay a similar amount for a CPO with some miles on it, but there is some value in having a new, original warranty BMW. One thing to note on a base x1- you'll need a special cable if you want to play music on the stereo using your phone or iPod and control it from the steering wheel. Otherwise, your only choice is to use the AUX port as bluetooth on the base is only for making calls- it does not work for music.

YLT 05-21-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar (Post 10167492)
xDrive or sDrive? Is it considered new or has it been punched (so the warranty clock has started)? Does it have any trim other than silver (because that's an option on that car)? Personally, I'd rather pay a similar amount for a CPO with some miles on it, but there is some value in having a new, original warranty BMW. One thing to note on a base x1- you'll need a special cable if you want to play music on the stereo using your phone or iPod and control it from the steering wheel. Otherwise, your only choice is to use the AUX port as bluetooth on the base is only for making calls- it does not work for music.

Hi,

It's sDrive.
The car has no service date yet and is definitely sold as new car. Dealer has reiterate d many times to me the car will have full 4 yr 50k miles warranty.
I checked the sticker and found the options are metallic grey paint, 18" wheels, and power seats. I do see the cable you mentioned in the glove box. I have tried the usb port and unfortunately my android phone is no good to it but my wife's iPhone works just fine. I planned to get a BT dongle for it anyway so not a problem to me.

The dealer gave it to me for the weekend and I have drove some miles. So far I like it for the rwd and n20 engine, however the wind noise during high speed has disappointed me quite a bit. I probably will still take it as it is rare to get a new bmw at this price point. Just a bit sad that the sound insulation isn't quite luxurious.

stonex1 05-21-2017 10:11 PM

Wow, a 2 year old car with only a 100 miles on it? :yummy:
:thumbup:

YLT 05-21-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonex1 (Post 10167566)
Wow, a 2 year old car with only a 100 miles on it? :yummy:
:thumbup:

Actually it was 48 miles when I saw the odometer. :confused:
The car itself was manufactured in June 2015 so ya, almost 2 years old and nobody at the dealership even knew they had it when I called :D Luckily their tech do routine checks on all vehicles in the lot every 3 months so the car is still in great condition.

I'm taking it to work tomorrow. This will be its final test to see the mpg i will get using eco pro commuting between home and office (46 miles combined) and if this is the right choice for my need.

In the mean time, any suggestion on thing I should look out for/comments/advices/ are certainly welcomed!

iamthewalrus 05-22-2017 07:13 AM

Well, that's a tough one. I'm the kind of guy who'd rather buy used/CPO with 15K miles on it and get all of the bells and whistles. I did that with my 2006 BMW X3 and kept it 10 years. I did it with a Mini CooperS convertible as well.
The X1 is a great car and is definitely fun to drive. But I think I'd miss some of the extras like the xenon headlights, parking sensors, sports seats, and panoramic sunroof. That's just my $0.02 though. If you love it, go for it!

-James
Seattle, WA

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i (sport line, loaded) purchased CPO with 11k miles.
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, loaded) purchased CPO with 9K miles on it and kept for 10 years.
2006 BMW 330Ci convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased new and traded 18 months later.
2006 Mini CooperS convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased used and sold 18 months later (for the same price!).
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (tiptronic, loaded) purchased new and kept for 8 years.

tripman630 05-22-2017 07:39 AM

Sounds like you have a hell of a deal. I would still see about what kind of warranty you can get on it.

I have a '14 sdrive, and I love it to death. Basic package.. no sensors or drive assist package, no idrive, no nothing and its exactly what I wanted in a car. Near perfect 50/50 weight distribution, RWD, cargo space - and enough torque on demand to still get me in trouble.

It's in the shop currently for a turbo oil line replacement, an issue that (I have not fact checked this) but I don't think would be a problem for a later model.

The run flats are not confidence inspiring and I'll be getting rid of them when they wear out for some stickier tires.
58k on the clock right now

YLT 05-22-2017 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus (Post 10167834)
Well, that's a tough one. I'm the kind of guy who'd rather buy used/CPO with 15K miles on it and get all of the bells and whistles. I did that with my 2006 BMW X3 and kept it 10 years. I did it with a Mini CooperS convertible as well.
The X1 is a great car and is definitely fun to drive. But I think I'd miss some of the extras like the xenon headlights, parking sensors, sports seats, and panoramic sunroof. That's just my $0.02 though. If you love it, go for it!

-James
Seattle, WA

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i (sport line, loaded) purchased CPO with 11k miles.
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, loaded) purchased CPO with 9K miles on it and kept for 10 years.
2006 BMW 330Ci convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased new and traded 18 months later.
2006 Mini CooperS convertible (manual, sports package, loaded) purchased used and sold 18 months later (for the same price!).
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (tiptronic, loaded) purchased new and kept for 8 years.

Hi James,

Thanks for the comments!

My thoughts regarding lack of options are:
1. I rely heavily on my phone to do most work (gps, music, etc) than the car console.
2. I have sun roof on my car currently and I only use it when I smoke in the car :tsk:
3. I prefer normal trim suspension better, so sports package may not be the best bet.
4. This is my first BMW, I will learn about the brand's reliability through this car... and I feel more comfortable doing so with less gadgets knowing there are less things likely to fall apart over time.

Not trying to defend myself, just want to share my thoughts so y'all can give feedback on.
Thanks! :)

iamthewalrus 05-22-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLT (Post 10167903)
Not trying to defend myself, just want to share my thoughts so y'all can give feedback on.
Thanks! :)

No worries at all. What you're describing makes perfect sense!

themishmosh 05-22-2017 08:14 AM

Great find!

Vidgamer 05-22-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus (Post 10167834)

I think that many of us would probably have to cough up more $$$ to get the extras. Maybe not that much extra. Would have been tempting for me to keep looking, but already decided that I could cover the minimum requirements with the MSport. (More important for me to have the color, sporty ride, sporty suspension, and DRIVE!)

But $25k for a NEW X1 with full warranty seems pretty good! I'd take that.

A short while back, when thinking about car shopping, I recall reading at least one article suggesting if you still want a "driver's car", to get the 2-series with as few options as possible. When I searched for available models, I could never find such a thing; new 2-series cars were generally $40k+, it seemed? Looking now at one dealer, they only have 5, and they're all over $40k (for a car that starts at $32k?).

Anyway, I suppose you could get a used X1 for cheaper, but $25k sounds like a decent deal. Why not?

YLT 05-22-2017 10:03 PM

Negotiated another $500 less and I finally took the x1 home!

First surprise: there's no rear dome light switch:confused:
But I'm still happy :D

kjboyd 05-23-2017 06:02 AM

post pics !

YLT 05-23-2017 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo.

By the way, thanks to another thread about sparkles in the headlight. Mine has that too(very minor). Tech said it's microfraction and the dealer is getting the replacement headlights for me.

I guess this means that even if the car was stored still, these micro cracks are going to develop over time. Check yours before the warranty is up.

Der_Kommissar 05-23-2017 12:25 PM

That's pretty cool, finding a brand new x1 and getting it for such a low price! I do like the 18's too- that's a nice little upgrade over the base model. The power seats are nice too, since they adjust to the preference of the keyholder. I originally wanted the sDrive for the cheaper maintenance and better fuel economy, but adjusted to getting the xDrive since its so hard to find sDrives up here (and the hydraulic steering is great too). Enjoy your car! These cars were available for such a short time period that I think they will be worth holding on to in the long run. They may not have fit the soccer mom market they were going for, but I think fit a nice niche for people who like older school BWM designs.

crankry 05-23-2017 01:07 PM

Hi YLT well done enjoy now you will be looking for a blackberry music gateway or other brand so you can play music from your phone via bluetooth the blackberry seems to be the pick as you don't have to turn on/off and it syncs automatically to your phone I use a comsol bluetooth music receiver works great but you have to turn it on/off Craig

YLT 05-23-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crankry (Post 10169726)
Hi YLT well done enjoy now you will be looking for a blackberry music gateway or other brand so you can play music from your phone via bluetooth the blackberry seems to be the pick as you don't have to turn on/off and it syncs automatically to your phone I use a comsol bluetooth music receiver works great but you have to turn it on/off Craig

Hi thanks for the tip!
I read the thread regarding the BB music gateway. It seems like a good choice except a bit pricier for what it is. I do find other solutions on Amazon that supports nfc/ad2p etc. Will let you guys know if I find a good option.

I just want to be careful when it comes to buying accessories for cars as I tend to overspend on this kind of stuff[emoji27]

EDIT:
Interesting... I read somewhere saying the usb port would not cut off power after shutoff, which is not the case in my car. This is great because then I can use the usb port to power BT dongle and stash it inside the storage compartment while also keep aux cord short and neat.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Bimmerfest mobile app

Bucketfoot 05-24-2017 08:52 AM

That's a great find! Congrats, you should really enjoy it.

YLT 05-24-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketfoot (Post 10170945)
That's a great find! Congrats, you should really enjoy it.

Thank you! I do have my fun with it. :)

I just found another interesting tidbit this morning...
The stereo console in the base trim for some reason has the polarization filter aimed in the angle which my polarizing sunglasses filters out :yikes: and I know my sunglasses use correct polarization angle. Well jokes on me now for having a $600 polarizing sun glasses.

FYI for those not familiar with what I'm talking about-
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...aring-problem/

Der_Kommissar 05-24-2017 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YLT (Post 10171014)
Thank you! I do have my fun with it. :)

I just found another interesting tidbit this morning...
The stereo console in the base trim for some reason has the polarization filter aimed in the angle which my polarizing sunglasses filters out :yikes: and I know my sunglasses use correct polarization angle. Well jokes on me now for having a $600 polarizing sun glasses.

FYI for those not familiar with what I'm talking about-
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...aring-problem/

LOL, yes, my old e90 had that. I eventually caved and bought a nice pair of non-polarized sunglasses. If you search I believe you can find a vendor who will sell you a filter to put on top of the radio screen that fixes the problem.

YLT 05-24-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar (Post 10171144)
LOL, yes, my old e90 had that. I eventually caved and bought a nice pair of non-polarized sunglasses. If you search I believe you can find a vendor who will sell you a filter to put on top of the radio screen that fixes the problem.

Well, funny where I found the solution BMW 1 series forum :D
Now the real question is if the office supply stores still carry them since the thread is back in 2008...

Der_Kommissar 05-24-2017 08:56 PM

I kid, but this is kind of one of the reasons I wanted iDrive if I was going to get an e84. I could not take another 5 years of the same radio from my 2007 328i. :)

wunderkind 05-26-2017 04:38 PM

BMW punishes buyers of base model cars. I rather buy a Mazda CX5 loaded.

Vidgamer 05-28-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wunderkind (Post 10174505)
BMW punishes buyers of base model cars. I rather buy a Mazda CX5 loaded.

I don't think I'd enjoy a CX5 as much. I'm sure the CX5 is great, but still.... As much as I thought Apple Carplay, etc., was great, it's not quite enough. I'm doing OK punching up what I want on my phone. :-/

Der_Kommissar 05-28-2017 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidgamer (Post 10176667)
I don't think I'd enjoy a CX5 as much. I'm sure the CX5 is great, but still.... As much as I thought Apple Carplay, etc., was great, it's not quite enough. I'm doing OK punching up what I want on my phone. :-/

I drove the CX5 on my last car buying round, and I found it surprisingly underwhelming. In GT trim its very nice inside, but Touring and below has a lower quality interior. Plus, the engine is nothing special unless you are in sport mode, and then it's so thrashy that you would not want to live with it every day. Once you move up to GT, there are plenty of better new and used options in that price range. I liked the GT I drove, but I liked the VW Sportwagen much more for the same price. And I like my CPO X1 even more. :)