BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ACC retrofit-Active Cruise Control

154K views 221 replies 36 participants last post by  catasim 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, this is amazing to see! I spent a long time looking for my 7 with ACC. How hard was the retrofit? Cost?

#4 ·
I just follow instruction for this retrofit. Wiring-2 wires to CAN bus-connector in FR Wheel arch, 1 wire to the Fuse box in glove compartment, 1 wire to CAS and ground
Take me about 4.5 hour and cost me $250, because i get ACC for free :rofl:

#17 ·
Inspi, just to clarify a few points, i see that you didnt change your DSC unit, so your car is braking when the distance gets closer?? I know that DSC unit should be changed and brake sensors should be added to the axles for braking functions. I am searching for parts for retrofit, and if so i may consider adding ACC2 as you do. Thanks in advance

#31 · (Edited)
According to the Service Literature for the E65 and E60... the E65/E66 has always used the Bosch DSC 5.7 system. This has a single brake pressure sensor attached to the DSC block. In contrast, at introduction the E60/E61/E63/E64 used the Bosch DSC8 system which normally has no external brake pressure sensors. If ACC was fitted to the E60/E61/E63/E64 then BMW installed 2 external brake pressure sensors in-line (one each for front and rear circuits). Note the different brake parts diagrams in ETK depending on if you have option 541 or not. I assume there is no provision on the DSC8 block for a single pressure sensor?
Then later BMW put the DSC8+ system on the E60/E61/E63/E64 which eliminated the external pressure sensors, but allowed ACC with Stop & Go by adding SRR sensors (Short Range Radar).

From 05_E60 Chassis Dynamics
Dynamic Stability Control DSC8
Dynamic Stability Control DSC8 manufactured by Bosch is used for the first time in the E60.
New system features:
• The hardware component of DSC8 is a newly developed component.
• The electric precharging pump (eVLP) has now been omitted.
• The DSC module is connected to the Powertrain CAN (PT-CAN) and to the Chassis
CAN (F-CAN).
• 2 new pressure sensors are incorporated in the brake lines in the ACC optional
extra.
Advantages of System Over DSC5.7
DSC8 has the following advantages over DSC5.7:
• 25% lower structural volume
• 30% lighter (saving 700 g in the module, saving of 1.8 kg through omission of the
electric precharging pump)
• Control-unit memory 768 kB ROM (previously 256 kB ROM)
• Processor computing cycle time 5 to 10 ms (previously 20 ms)

I might try this retrofit myself as I already have the ACC wires pulled from a used main harness.

#34 · (Edited)
I'll have a retrofit kit (complete harness from a 2008 7er, radar sensor and cruise control lever) in a couple weeks, all with <35k miles. I was going to install it on my car, but if someone wants to buy it just send me a PM.
If I install it, I'll post feedback on this thread...

RETROFIT KIT SOLD.

#41 ·
I temporarily installed the retrofit harness (power, ground, 1 wire to CAS, 2 wires to communication bus terminal near right fog light) and plugged in the ACC2 unit. I took several pictures of the bus terminal connection. I wasn't sure if you need to slide over the secondary locks (pink color) in order to install the pins, but I slide the housing up and did it just in case.

Next I hooked up ISTA/D. It found the ACC module immediately and it appears to have the latest software flashed (6779874).

INPA lets you look at the info from the radar sensor in real time.

Enjoy!

PM sent

Attachments

#36 ·
Recently retrofitted this. I didn't have it readjusted after install, inspi, did you do it for a benefit or was it not working well before you had it done? I love the system but sometimes when I approach a lorry who is driving in the slow lane the car will register it as if it was in my lane and brake. Though this is dependent how far to the right (I'm in the UK) they are driving.

#37 ·
Did you install the ACC or ACC2 sensor? Based on the below document, the ACC2 is better in curves with the wider beam angle.
If ACC, you should be able to convert to ACC2 with a new mounting bracket and wire harness connector (ACC used 12 pin, while newer ACC2 uses 8 pin).

Attachments

#42 ·
I have a late 2006 730d and attempted this a couple of years ago. That was until I read about the extra brake sensors and the alignment process required. By that time, I'd already sourced the ACC sensor and the control stalk. I abandoned the project fearing it would be too complex and sold the sensor, but kept hold of the control stalk.

Now that others have added this option with success, I've been tempted to give this another go.

I've ordered all the parts and I'll post back with my progress over the next week or two.