Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 G01 (2018 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Tailgate Opening Up Randomly (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211137)

calbbs 01-12-2018 08:46 PM

Tailgate Opening Up Randomly

Has anybody had issues with their tailgate opening up on its own?
My daughter and her husband have had their 2018 30i for three weeks now and she has had the tailgate open on its own twice now. Once when her husband came home and try to open the garage door it got hung up on the tailgate that was open on the X3 in the garage. Then she says another day she was walked past the closed tailgate about 2-3 feet away from the back was talking with someone a good distance away, turned around and the tailgate was open. Sheís taking into the BMW dealership on Monday to talk about this and also see if they can do anything with the scratches the garage door put on the tailgate.
Iím also interested for myself since Iím picking up our M40i tomorrow if they get it ready in time. [emoji16]
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

BobBass 01-12-2018 09:24 PM

I back my vehicles up fairly close to our front step and a couple of times on my 2015 when I walked past the rear I must have been close enough to the sensor to trigger the door to open or, if it was already open, to close. One time it actually CONKED me on the head! Haven't had my '18 long enough to say whether it's an issue or not.

I guess they've tried to recreate what happened. That's what I'd do.

FCBayernFTW 01-12-2018 10:20 PM

Where is the key fob stored? Iíve walked outside to an open trunk with my M4. Iím pretty sure itís because my key fob is stored in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

calbbs 01-13-2018 12:11 AM

When the fob is in the house itís about 25 feet away on a table next to a wall shared with the garage. When outside itís either in a purse or a pocket.
Sheís also been konked once in the noggin right after she got the car.
Can the sensitivity be adjusted through iDrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Yizu 01-13-2018 12:52 AM

I had the same problem severeal times with my F31. Sometimes it openen ehen I was standing before a traffic light. Luckely it never opened while driving.

JRSteeno 01-13-2018 05:28 AM

I've had this happen a couple times. Once was about a month ago while washing my car in the driveway. As I was rinsing the rear hatch with the fob in my pocket it started to open. Luckily I was able to close it quickly before a bunch of water got inside. Hard to believe that water running off the back would activate the sensor. I put the fob inside the house and it didn't happen again.

calbbs 01-13-2018 10:26 AM

I wondering if the fob was close enough in the house and when husband started to open the garage a shadow triggered it?
I do not have Keyless Access on my F31 but I just read in the manual that ďinadvertent openingĒ can happen if the fob is within 5 feet.

Ridin'Dirty 01-13-2018 10:34 AM

This has been a continuing problem for us folks over on the X1-F48 board. Here's a copy of a TSB that may benefit the folks here that are having this same issue:
https://preview.ibb.co/fQaaHR/Hatch_...e_Bulletin.jpg

calbbs 01-13-2018 01:47 PM

Thanks RD, Iíll pass this on to my daughter and keep in mind for myself once I get the M40i
And thanks to everyone else sharing your experiences.

Ridin'Dirty 01-13-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12005985)
Iím picking up our M40i tomorrow if they get it ready in time.

Sure hope you stop back in with a review of your new ride and to share a couple of pics. I sure like what I see on those YouTube videos from the auto shows.

calbbs 01-14-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty (Post 12013729)
Sure hope you stop back in with a review of your new ride and to share a couple of pics. I sure like what I see on those YouTube videos from the auto shows.

Iíll definitely come back with a review and pics. I was told by my SA yesterday that they would probably have it ready today the 13th and they would call me when it was ready. I never got the call. Part of me is thinking that it is stuck at the VDC in Oxnard because 101 is closed from the mudslides. If thatís the case I really donít care when the car gets it here. The situation there is much more important and tragic.
Iíve been reading all the posts on the threads you suggested. Boy this problem goes way back. I think my daughterís 30i was built before the fix came out and my M40i after the fix. So Iím curious what they do for her on Monday and if mine has any problems.

jgroarke 01-14-2018 05:55 AM

I know I said this before on another thread - but this happened to me randomly a couple of years back - I narrowed it down to me carrying the key in my back pocket - maybe this is not your issue but I hope so (easily rectifiable ;-).

calbbs 01-14-2018 04:06 PM

A lot of the people in the threads I read had this happen to them when they were reaching into the back while loading and unloading. So they needed the fob.
Got the call this morning, car came in last night. Picking it up at 1:00 tomorrow.

Ridin'Dirty 01-14-2018 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12019697)
A lot of the people in the threads I read had this happen to them when they were reaching into the back while loading and unloading. So they needed the fob.

At first, I thought that somehow I was activating the hatch button while the fob was in my pocket. Got on the Interwebs, bought a case for it and figured that my problems were over...NOT! Then I had a different spin on this problem: When washing my car and dragging the hose past the right rear corner (passenger side) of the car, the hatch would open on its own!:yikes: Heck, I can even activate the Comfort Access feature to lock/unlock the doors by playing a stream of water over the door handle when I have the key fob on my person. :wow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12019697)
Got the call this morning, car came in last night. Picking it up at 1:00 tomorrow.

OH BOY, OH BOY!!!:banana:

calbbs 01-14-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty (Post 12021161)
At first, I thought that somehow I was activating the hatch button while the fob was in my pocket. Got on the Interwebs, bought a case for it and figured that my problems were over...NOT! Then I had a different spin on this problem: When washing my car and dragging the hose past the right rear corner (passenger side) of the car, the hatch would open on its own!:yikes: Heck, I can even activate the Comfort Access feature to unlock the doors by playing a stream of water over the door handle when I have the key fob on my person. :wow:

OH BOY, OH BOY!!!:banana:

This could be interesting. Start a thread for most unconventional ways to activate Comfort Access.

pskdude 01-15-2018 08:01 AM

Ive had this happen to me several times!
I get to my car in the morning or at night to grab something only to find my trunk open. For a moment i thought i was robbed.

Still trying to figure out how it opens. Only thought is i pressed the trunk hatch which is long ways out from my car to apartment. :dunno:

senoromar 01-17-2018 03:25 PM

This just happened to me today for the first time. I had the fob in my pocket but I wasn't even near the car, I was indoors but still within range if i were to use the fob. Interestingly the tailgate was only open about 25%.

I have no idea if this issue is related to the fob or the automatic opening sensor.

calbbs 01-17-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senoromar (Post 12048721)
This just happened to me today for the first time. I had the fob in my pocket but I wasn't even near the car, I was indoors but still within range if i were to use the fob. Interestingly the tailgate was only open about 25%.

I have no idea if this issue is related to the fob or the automatic opening sensor.

When was the production week for your car?

senoromar 01-17-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12049305)
When was the production week for your car?

Week 50. I had tailgate opening issues on my prior F15 which were fob in pocket related. My hunch is itís the same issue but curious why it was open only a quarter of the way.

SpeedyK 01-18-2018 08:12 AM

I think the key fob is too sensitive. I reported a similar problem with my car alarm went off for no reason. I noticed whenever it happened, the key fob was in my pocket with other keys. It is possible that other objects in my pocket pressed the panic button to trigger the alarm. Is it possible similar thing could happen in your case?

pskdude 01-27-2018 10:42 AM

This is becoming extremely annoying. Ive had several times at work im glad i was informed before my stuff was stolen. Has the case worked for anyone ?

AVI8HISTORY 01-28-2018 08:03 AM

If youíre carrying your key fob in your pocket or ladies in a purse or man bag with anything attached to it or with anything in your pocket that is hard youíre likely accidentally opening the tail gate when the tailgate button is contacted by keys or pocket change, etc. I had the gate open on different occasions until I figured that out. I took my house keys off my fob and keep it now in a pocket free of anything else. Just like a so-called pocket dial with a cell phone.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Classj 02-03-2018 06:40 AM

On day 5 of ownership, a friend came over and said "FYI your trunk is open". I went out to the driveway and sure enough the hatch was open about 8".
:dunno:

Autoputzer 02-03-2018 06:51 AM

I had this problem with my F10 535i once or twice. My problem ended up being the key fob button being pushed while in my pants pocket. My solution is to carry my fob in my shirt pocket.

Doug Huffman 02-03-2018 06:58 AM

LOL. No skinny-jeans for BMW owners, not if they want to pocket their fob.