Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   DIY replacing injectors of 09 X5 35D diesel? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865988)

atrandom 08-17-2015 10:08 PM

DIY replacing injectors of 09 X5 35D diesel?
 
Got misfire due to injector #6. The care is out of warranty. Many garages refuse to do it for me. They always charge me some bucks for checking then ask me go to dealer...
So, is there anyone have experience of replacing injectors?
Figure we need injector removal tools and BMW ICOM Diagnostic Tool to program new injectors.
Really need some instructions, Thanks anyway.

Doug Huffman 08-18-2015 04:53 AM

This may illustrate why indies don't want to do injectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=H_DEetgHzKg

Search also for YT videos on the proper removal of injectors.

ninja_zx11 08-18-2015 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrandom (Post 9240724)
Got misfire due to injector #6.

Probably damaged injector due to water leak.Last 2 injectors are prone to water damage as others have stated.

atrandom 08-18-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 (Post 9241128)
Probably damaged injector due to water leak.Last 2 injectors are prone to water damage as others have stated.

Yes. I know these threads before and preparing to do some prevention. But before I do, the injector is gone, still don't know if it's due to water leaking into engine bay.... new one worth 400$ around...

atrandom 08-18-2015 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 9240935)
This may illustrate why indies don't want to do injectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=H_DEetgHzKg

Search also for YT videos on the proper removal of injectors.

Very very informative video for me such an inexperienced owner.
Should I equip diagnose tools? sound like I would be a little dealer :bigpimp:

blue dragon 08-18-2015 10:09 AM

You will also need to run the calibration procedure in INPA or Rheingold if you do swap it yourself. Me personally, I would pay to get this job done :)

atrandom 08-18-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue dragon (Post 9241372)
You will also need to run the calibration procedure in INPA or Rheingold if you do swap it yourself. Me personally, I would pay to get this job done :)

Seems nobody would do it except dealer. I don't mind to pay dealer this time. But if the car keeps giving me troubles every year every month. I'm dead then.
Last time I'm afraid of replacing glow plug but finally I did although the real problem is glow plug controler .....
This time, who knows. difficult task is dangerous and interesting.

here is a E90 video on how to replace injectors and program them. good reference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTYWisWQlPY

atrandom 08-20-2015 09:10 AM

Anyone know if this tool is capable to pull the injector for x5 35d?
Schley Products 11800 BMW Injector Puller
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21AvEHiFXaL.jpg

ninja_zx11 08-20-2015 10:12 AM

Not sure about the one you posted but this is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Injectors-Pull.../dp/B00K9QU64A

atrandom 08-20-2015 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 (Post 9245158)
Not sure about the one you posted but this is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Injectors-Pull.../dp/B00K9QU64A

I'm curious if we really need a slide hammer so big like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzqs8ujRidw

ard 08-20-2015 11:40 PM

SO much fail here...

atrandom 09-28-2015 05:21 PM

So I've replaced the injector and code it successfully.
But unfortunately, it didn't work.

Anyway, I guess I've got root cause. injector wire for #6 is shorted. I've checked the resistance of #6 and #4(as comparison). #6 is 0. #4 is infinite.

Time to figure out how to replace or fix shorted harness....

lpcapital 09-28-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrandom (Post 9310659)
So I've replaced the injector and code it successfully.
But unfortunately, it didn't work.

Anyway, I guess I've got root cause. injector wire for #6 is shorted. I've checked the resistance of #6 and #4(as comparison). #6 is 0. #4 is infinite.

Time to figure out how to replace or fix shorted harness....

Check for mice chew: those little bastards are evil.

Whenever I do harness work on vehicle, I rewrap everything with this Tesa wiring loom tape -> http://amzn.com/B00EH6IZ6Y. I cut, join using soldering iron, cover the work with shrink wrap and rewrap the loom with Tesa.
Don't use regular electric tape as it just unravels.

I believe you can pull up the wiring diagrams in Rheingold...

atrandom 09-28-2015 05:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
how to take off injector wires in junction Box? They seems share a same socket with other wires. make me confused.
Where I can buy injector wire harness for replacement or only Injector Connector Plug for repair? Can't find them in ebay.

lpcapital 09-28-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrandom (Post 9310709)
how to take off injector wires in junction Box? They seems share a same socket with other wires. make me confused.
Where I can buy injector wire harness for replacement or only Injector Connector Plug for repair? Can't find them in ebay.

You may want to ping bawareca (not sure he's registered here too, otherwise check xoutpost) -> he's dismantling a 35d so he may have what you need. He seems also very knowledgeable to BMW electronics so he may help you with the diagram.

If Rheingold doesn't have the diagram, check here -> http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/.

IF IT WAS MY CAR, I wouldn't replace the harness but simply pull a length of wire and solder it. Disassembling those connectors is mental and finding the proper pin practically impossible. But I would start choping up insulation and see where the damage is

atrandom 09-28-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpcapital (Post 9310726)
You may want to ping bawareca (not sure he's registered here too, otherwise check xoutpost) -> he's dismantling a 35d so he may have what you need. He seems also very knowledgeable to BMW electronics so he may help you with the diagram.

If Rheingold doesn't have the diagram, check here -> http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/.

IF IT WAS MY CAR, I wouldn't replace the harness but simply pull a length of wire and solder it. Disassembling those connectors is mental and finding the proper pin practically impossible. But I would start choping up insulation and see where the damage is

Dissembling connectors in junction box is crazy. I just want to know if it's easy like 'unplug' and 'plug' issue. But I saw injector wires are mixed with others in one connector.

I'd like to cut connector near the injector so we can know which half part is bad. But I need a new connector to fix then.
And the question is, If I found the problem is on junction box side, what I do?

atrandom 09-28-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpcapital (Post 9310696)
Check for mice chew: those little bastards are evil.

Whenever I do harness work on vehicle, I rewrap everything with this Tesa wiring loom tape -> http://amzn.com/B00EH6IZ6Y. I cut, join using soldering iron, cover the work with shrink wrap and rewrap the loom with Tesa.
Don't use regular electric tape as it just unravels.

I believe you can pull up the wiring diagrams in Rheingold...

Thanks. I'll buy Tesa wiring loom tape then. :thumbup:

ninja_zx11 09-28-2015 07:32 PM

Also if possible try to disconnect the DDE and then check for continuity and short.

atrandom 09-29-2015 08:53 AM

Update: Just take wires apart from junction box. while disconnected both from injector and junction box, #6 wires give me 0 resistance. others are 180K(connected to injectors of course).
So it's 100% bad #6 wire only.
Next question is how can I fix it without spare part..... or how I locate the exact point where is shorted?

ninja_zx11 09-29-2015 09:37 AM

Good find!!
So it means connection from DDE to the junction box is good.right? and problem is only from the junction box to the injector.

Is it possible to visually trace the wires from the junction box to the injector? I think each pair to each injector is twisted.So check if the got pinched and shorted.how long is the wire run from junction box to the injectors?Is there any connector inside the junction box to disconnect the injector wire from the DDE side of wiring?

Its also possible for the wires to get shorted right inside the connector (injector side) due to water problem.You may have to cut one or both wires from the twisted pair close to the injector connector to diagnose the location of short.

ninja_zx11 09-29-2015 09:45 AM

Or another option:

Just get the injector wiring harness for $64 from ECS tuning.

http://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpart...diagId=12_1201


https://www.ecstuning.com/ES1876917/

atrandom 09-29-2015 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 (Post 9311762)
Good find!!
So it means connection from DDE to the junction box is good.right? and problem is only from the junction box to the injector.

Is it possible to visually trace the wires from the junction box to the injector? I think each pair to each injector is twisted.So check if the got pinched and shorted.how long is the wire run from junction box to the injectors?Is there any connector inside the junction box to disconnect the injector wire from the DDE side of wiring?

Its also possible for the wires to get shorted right inside the connector (injector side) due to water problem.You may have to cut one or both wires from the twisted pair close to the injector connector to diagnose the location of short.

The wire should be looks like this. I pull the pic from ebay, not exactly the same but almost. box side looks like brand new so injector side is most possible.
It's going to rain so I have to do it tomorrow. :dunno:

ninja_zx11 09-30-2015 12:02 PM

Wondering which slide hammer did you use to take the injector out and where did you get used injector?

atrandom 10-01-2015 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 (Post 9313922)
Wondering which slide hammer did you use to take the injector out and where did you get used injector?

Everything is from ebay.

atrandom 10-01-2015 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so today I've found the shorted point. The truth is easy that at that point two lines are not is correct position, they are pushed very hard by wire locker. the skin was broken and mental part kiss each other finally.

I've fixed the wire but got a another headache. The car wont' start.
It throw out 4x4, DSC and fuel pump warring. I guess that's because I unpluged 5 sockets in junction box. Even I pluged them back, there is still something triggered.
Tried to clear error code, but 3 communication errors can't be deleted. Seems there must be some problem in junction box after I touched them.
Any suggestion?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.