Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   High mileage 335i should I buy? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349755)

delorean175 10-06-2019 07:53 PM

High mileage 335i should I buy?

Hello, all

I'm not sure if this is the best section to post this, forgive me if it isn't. I'm looking for advice from you guys on whether to buy a high mileage 2013 F30 335i M sport Xdrive w/ a 6speed manual. It has 175k miles. It was owned by an older lady that did a lot of country driving, supposedly. Other than the curb rashed rims its in good shape. Everything works, it drives flawlessly, but I get a few codes with my cheap bluetooth code reader. The dealer wants 10k for it, I got him down from 13k. Carfax doesn't show any history of a replaced turbo, water pump, HPFP, things like that. Just generic maintenance entries. The engine is really spotless, its possible they did a really good job of detailing it. Part of me wonders if it was simply loved from day 1. From what I could see It's even clean down low by the turbo. Fortunately for me I'm able to do my own work so I'm not completely put off by replacing gaskets or (someday) a clutch. What are your thoughts? I'm not sure, It seems like the mileage is just too high for my likes. But it drove so nice..

delorean175 10-06-2019 08:15 PM

Some of the codes are CD0487 CAN gateway, 801C20 ZGM: central fault memory full, 440102 transfer box oil wear, 2 instrument cluster codes, a center roof code. Nothing major but annoying.

namelessman 10-06-2019 08:18 PM

To OP, can the car be taken to a trusted indy for pre-purchcase inspection?

delorean175 10-06-2019 08:33 PM

I plan on doing that tomorrow. The problem is, I don't know of any I can trust. I don't know the area very well.

floydarogers 10-06-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delorean175 (Post 13126037)
I plan on doing that tomorrow. The problem is, I don't know of any I can trust. I don't know the area very well.

If you are in Tacoma, take it to BMW Tacoma in Fife, just off I5

need4speed 10-08-2019 06:23 AM

Of course you need to get it checked out by a good mechanic. If it checks out you still need to ask yourself a few questions. The most important is, can I afford a high repair bill. If it is going to be your daily driver, with no other option (second car, spouses car) can you take a large hit to the wallet and still be OK. If so buy and enjoy. If not, I would look elsewhere. Even if it checks out, remember it has almost 200k and many very expensive parts that can go at any time. Good luck. N4S

M4Steve 10-08-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessman (Post 13126023)
To OP, can the car be taken to a trusted indy for pre-purchcase inspection?

This is an excellent recommendation which I would also advise you to do.

jaye944 10-08-2019 07:18 AM

high millage means you have paid for somone else's fun :)

John MS 10-08-2019 01:45 PM

$10k is in line with online price estimates for that car if it is well above average condition and needs only minor cosmetic work and general repair. The clutch, brakes and tires should be in good condition with half life remaining. If not I think you are looking at $6k to $7k depending on work to be done.

JeffDunes 10-09-2019 09:52 AM

Get a PPI at a BMW dealership as a starting point. If it checks out well then go for it but consider it will need a bunch of preventative maintenance at this mileage including changing all fluids that havent been changed recently.

LarryboysUDM 10-11-2019 12:35 PM

I doubt an old lady did that much country driving to reach 175K miles unless she's the only owner.
There's only so much a mechanic can check; ask for the dealer's maintenance or job history.
If most of the major parts have been replaced or leaks fixed, it might be worth a shot.
At 175K miles anything can go bad in short notice.
Good luck!

insanecoder 10-17-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryboysUDM (Post 13130467)
I doubt an old lady did that much country driving to reach 175K miles unless she's the only owner.
There's only so much a mechanic can check; ask for the dealer's maintenance or job history.
If most of the major parts have been replaced or leaks fixed, it might be worth a shot.
At 175K miles anything can go bad in short notice.
Good luck!

My thoughts exactly
stealerships always say it was owned by an old lady
BS
at 175k, the car is about ready to have many o its plastic parts crack to pieces
a full readout of all its error code by ISTA and a thorough review by an experienced BMW mechanic is in order
$10k can turn into double that easy when BMW repairs pop up

jaye944 10-17-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insanecoder (Post 13135383)
My thoughts exactly
stealerships always say it was owned by an old lady
BS
at 175k, the car is about ready to have many o its plastic parts crack to pieces
a full readout of all its error code by ISTA and a thorough review by an experienced BMW mechanic is in order
$10k can turn into double that easy when BMW repairs pop up

^^^^^^^ agreed
but seriously, you don't think an old lady can do this kinda millage
what are you ageist/sexist
bmw's are the perfect car for old ladies and vicars who look after there car's drive them well under the speed limie and also do ALL the servicing at BMW
tut tut tut
p.s.I always make sure to buy a car especially if advertised as previous owner, little old lady

insanecoder 10-17-2019 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye944 (Post 13135445)
^^^^^^^ agreed
but seriously, you don't think an old lady can do this kinda millage
what are you ageist/sexist
bmw's are the perfect car for old ladies and vicars who look after there car's drive them well under the speed limie and also do ALL the servicing at BMW
tut tut tut
p.s.I always make sure to buy a car especially if advertised as previous owner, little old lady

lol how many old ladies in high-spec BMWs are out there pulling even & asking for a drag?
according to stealerships.. all old ladies ;)

Folgen Sie Mir 10-24-2019 12:55 PM

It's been well cared for enough to drive almost 80 miles a day since the odometer woke up...

Threeserious 10-27-2019 12:54 PM

As an insurance agent, yes there are older people that when asked annual mileage say 15k to 20k.