Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Motor locked X5 2012 (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324343)

[email protected] 03-31-2019 07:20 AM

Motor locked X5 2012

My X5 suddenly locked up while driving. It simply shifted into neutral. Mechanics have stated that the motor is locked. Car is one owner puchased new. Service has been kept as required. Had been serviced just six weeks prior to locking up. One year after purchase the dealer had to replace the transfer case. I have received a quote from dealer that a new motor would cost $27K. BMWUSA has requested service records for past three years which were provided. No warnings or alerts from dashboard. Seems only fitting to me that BMW replace the motor or offer an alternative to rectify this obvious factory malfunction. Car has 103k miles. What options advice would you suggest?

sohor1 03-31-2019 07:26 AM

Motor locked X5 2012

Bring it to an independent shop and install a second hand engine for a fraction of the cost. Also...why bring an out of warranty car to a dealer for repairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1bad540 03-31-2019 07:43 AM

its a 7 yr old car w over 100k.... get another car.

ArgentoCarNut 03-31-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohor1 (Post 12956643)
Bring it to an independent shop and install a second hand engine for a fraction of the cost. Also...why bring an out of warranty car to a dealer for repairs?

At least where I live, the BMW dealer was the only option in town to work on a bimmer for many years. Only 3 years ago did the Indy shop open locally (and an MB alternative shop opened next door recently), and there arenít any others Iíd trust with a newer BMW within 100 miles.

QSilver7 03-31-2019 08:11 AM

It would be interesting to know WHICH engine was in this 2012 X5? Gas? Diesel? Six or eight cylinder? M57, N55, N63, S63? :dunno:

sunny_j 03-31-2019 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSilver7 (Post 12956685)
It would be interesting to know WHICH engine was in this 2012 X5? Gas? Diesel? Six or eight cylinder? M57, N55, N63, S63? :dunno:

I guess the OP thought we are mind readers:tsk:

ard 03-31-2019 08:56 AM

Someone already asked about WHICH MOTOR.... So we need that.

Since "BMW has asked for records", you may be getting some help from BMW. (If I was clairvoyant, I'd say you have a V8 and they are going to pay you a fraction based on the class action lawsuit). But let us know if it is the V8

See what they say, all you can do now.

ard 03-31-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 12956637)
obvious factory malfunction. Car has 103k miles.

I will add...

over 100k miles? Almost unheard of to get factory help from ANY car manufacturer. (Unless maybe you purchased a 100k mile extended warranty)

Having said that, my comment above about the V8 lawsuit will be important.

Next, being the original owner is very important to BMW. It is a commonly held belief that BMW *only* considers the first owner to be 'their' customer.

Finally, your description of events is odd. But whatever. The dash never showed a single light? Just immediately went dark and engine 'locked'? no noise? Not a single yellow or red indications, just shut off? if an engine 'locks' when driving, it is usually quite dramatic. Did it shut off, spin down, then when you next tried it, it was locked?

Anyway, doenst much matter.

edycol 03-31-2019 11:51 AM

Any of you have telepathic powers so figured what engine it is?

ard 03-31-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edycol (Post 12956899)
Any of you have telepathic powers so figured what engine it is?

Trying.

Prolly 50:50 that OP comes back...

Doug Huffman 03-31-2019 02:21 PM

So I Blessed my CPO 2012 X5d this morning as I set out, and again as I was done (so DUN I dropped the 'E' ) dicing, driving 400 miles with the GD Yankees on I-95. Saw 100 MPH four times as I put an anus in my rear view mirror. 22 MPG with trikes dirtying the airflow.

Now I'm in backwater Florida with a glass of wine ... for a month.

Last year our neighbors from NY said they aren't going south again for the idiots on the road. Of course they are older.

Stopping to P we saw trans-none-of-the-above dressed in boyz lingerere at interstate reststops and again at lunch in Starke, Fl.

sohor1 03-31-2019 03:40 PM

We probably scared them away...could be due to hydrolock...

ard 03-31-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohor1 (Post 12957085)
We probably scared them away...could be due to hydrolock...

The fact that a BMW dealer is having a continuing conversation with BMWNA likely indicate that is isn't 'his fault' (a hydrolocked would).

If OP gains only one "lesson" prior to their next interaction with dealer or BMWNA, it will be "don't trust them- they aren't your buddy". They also aren't motivated by how good/loyal a customer you've been, nor how much you spent.

Finally, the poster should understand 'goodwill repairs' and BMWs policy on how badly the dealer can screw him, even with BMWNA helping...

Before the next conversation.

:angel:

sunny_j 03-31-2019 05:03 PM

Random question, would BMW goodwill a deleted X5d engine if you are the first owner?

ard 03-31-2019 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunny_j (Post 12957151)
Random question, would BMW goodwill a deleted X5d engine if you are the first owner?

(Are you asking about the other 'knocking' thread?)

"deleted" as in the drivetrain modified? ..... not a chance.

(ANY kind of mods - emissions, anything- that effect the motor, will be a non-starter for BMWNA to cover)

sunny_j 03-31-2019 09:36 PM

Yea sorry got that threads missed up. I mean emissions delete

Brad.pickering 04-02-2019 06:00 PM

Had the same issue with our 2011 550i N63 engine. No warning. Engine locked when pulling off a stop light. 72,xxx miles, no previous issues. We are in discussions with BMWNA. BMWNA denied our first, second and third claim to replace our engine. Escalated to Executive Customer Care. Now looped in local dealership to help build our case. BMW Field Service Rep says our car does not "fit" with-in class action. I am going to keep pushing for a better outcome. Definitely not satisfied with early responses from BMWNA.

Ziggy328xi 04-02-2019 06:24 PM

engine is either an N55 or N63 no other motors came in that year i think

Bebespapa 04-02-2019 06:36 PM

Obviously the op isn't interested enough to give a update. End of story.

Bebespapa 04-02-2019 06:36 PM

Obviously the op isnít interested enough to give a update. End of story.

ard 04-02-2019 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad.pickering (Post 12959591)
Had the same issue with our 2011 550i N63 engine. No warning. Engine locked when pulling off a stop light. 72,xxx miles, no previous issues. We are in discussions with BMWNA. BMWNA denied our first, second and third claim to replace our engine. Escalated to Executive Customer Care. Now looped in local dealership to help build our case. BMW Field Service Rep says our car does not "fit" with-in class action. I am going to keep pushing for a better outcome. Definitely not satisfied with early responses from BMWNA.

Keep in mind that BMW reads this forum. Using your real name or a name that can ID your case is prolly a poor plan. I'll leave it at that. You can ask a mod to change your name. If you want more advice, start your own thread- you will get some decent advice. (Did anyone bother to find out what caused your motor to fail? and There are cheaper places to replace a motor than a BMW dealer...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bebespapa (Post 12959639)
Obviously the op isn't interested enough to give a update. End of story.

Yup. Seems so odd, but we see it a lot. Why take the time to register, post, then just disappear? Sure it can be a rough crowd, but there is a TREMENDOUS amount of tribal knowledge here. Simply gleaning an insight into the interplay between BMWNA and dealers....what motivates each...what they can and cannot do...all of that can be very useful in planning your 'campaign.

Wonder if Brad will break the mold? ;)

Brad.pickering 04-02-2019 09:11 PM

Thanks for the advice ard. I have nothing to hide from BMW. What is said here is alll true. I wanted the original OP to know they are not the only one with such an issue. The fact that another vehicle acted in the same manner as ours only accentuates the fact that there are true issues with the N63 engine, presuming the OP has a N63.
I did a ton of reading in the forum and others gaining valuable insight to the N63 and the class action. There is a ton of information out here. I am not done researching nor discussing our claim with BMWNA. I wish to only help and inspire other to not loose hope. I haven't yet!

Brad.pickering 04-02-2019 09:20 PM

I meant to add...
No, no contributing cause or factor has been established. Neither BMW nor I want to spend the money for root cause...just yet. I have my suspicions but I will wait and see what outcome prevails. Before me move further. Honestly, at this point it does not really matter. A locked engine is a locked engine. And at $18k to replace, it is more than the value of the car.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mike54 04-03-2019 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ard (Post 12957135)
The fact that a BMW dealer is having a continuing conversation with BMWNA likely indicate that is isn't 'his fault' (a hydrolocked would).

If OP gains only one "lesson" prior to their next interaction with dealer or BMWNA, it will be "don't trust them- they aren't your buddy". They also aren't motivated by how good/loyal a customer you've been, nor how much you spent.

Finally, the poster should understand 'goodwill repairs' and BMWs policy on how badly the dealer can screw him, even with BMWNA helping...

Before the next conversation.

:angel:

I disagree. After leasing 3 BMW's I purchased a one owner e39. Upon turning in my lease car BMWNA waived the 400 dollar return fee after I mentioned my fantastic one owner low mileage with maintenance records purchase.

Doug Huffman 04-03-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohor1 (Post 12957085)
...could be due to hydrolock...

Not likely during operation. ď... locked up while driving.Ē