Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   BMW steering wheel badge suddenly all dented! (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331573)

mikeijay23 05-22-2019 11:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I'm in the car today and the girlfriend just pointed out that my steering wheel badge is all dented and bashed up on my F32 - It's only 2 years old just hit 10k miles. Owned loads of BMW all taken them up past 100k miles and never happened before?

I didn't even notice it until she pointed it out .... she's a master at spotting flaws!

Has this happened to anyone else?

Zeichen311 05-23-2019 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeijay23 (Post 13008749)
Has this happened to anyone else?

The roundel is not indestructible; this has certainly happened to others who have--intentionally or not--bashed on it with hard-edged object(s). I recall a 'Fester who suffered similar damage, to his chagrin, from taking out his driving frustrations on the airbag. :eeps:

I hope you can learn to live with it. The roundel is not available separately from the airbag module--an 800-plus part.

J-RO 05-23-2019 05:10 AM

Better that she spots flaws on the car than on you.

luigi524td 05-23-2019 05:19 AM

Unfortunately the horn pad Roundel can be 'dented' by a hard smack ... i.e. blowing the horn to alert another driver. Amazing that we sometimes don't remember doing that when we try to warn of an incident or in anger. The replacement involves replacement of the entire pad though some have tried to cover the dented one with a stick-on Roundel. They DO NOT simply unclip or peel off to be replaced :-(

dwlink 05-23-2019 05:36 AM

In the US, this is most commonly caused by Camry drivers on their cell phones in the left lane.

mikeijay23 05-23-2019 06:53 AM

Thanks for your replies guys.

I don't really remember even using my horn for quite some time - defiantly not the violently? Maybe I don't know my own strength!

My girlfriends +50k mile E88 badge is as perfect as the day it rolled out of the factory. She ALWAYS likes to point out fault with other road users driving abilities and uses her horn more than the indicator! haha

Spoke to the BMW aftercare to see if they can do something under warranty who said they would do a full investigation. Fingers crossed!

quackbury 05-23-2019 09:08 AM

Road head?

Saintor 05-23-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi524td (Post 13008865)
Unfortunately the horn pad Roundel can be 'dented' by a hard smack ... i.e. blowing the horn to alert another driver. Amazing that we sometimes don't remember doing that when we try to warn of an incident or in anger. The replacement involves replacement of the entire pad though some have tried to cover the dented one with a stick-on Roundel. They DO NOT simply unclip or peel off to be replaced :-(

On my E90, they changed the whole assembly including the airbag on warranty... because of the logo that faded.

The second time, I did apply a stick-on roundel... it had a carbon-like appearance and even looked better than the original! That's the way to go IMO.

John MS 05-23-2019 12:13 PM

A cell phone, ring, keys or anything hard can dent the sheet metal. A stick on roundel might be a good idea.

Loudpedal 06-11-2019 07:21 PM

Try a small suction cup, like the ones on radar detector brackets. Alternatively, one of the door dent removal guys maybe. $65 per dent, and they are the type of people who, by default like a challenge.

BimmerAmerica 06-12-2019 09:47 AM

Pretty strange. You can probably replace it easily.