Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   The NEW official E36 OT Thread!! (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755579)

dwonda 05-10-2015 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesin (Post 9072535)
Centercaps? :dunno:

:clap:

EnserioJose 05-10-2015 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesin (Post 9072535)
Centercaps? :dunno:

Yes yes yes. I want those center caps.

dwonda 05-10-2015 07:23 AM

See what you can find out, I have a feeling though that they are just sticky BMW logos.

ZeGerman 05-10-2015 08:18 AM

I'm pretty sure you can fit OEM centercaps on K1s, but you have to use two different styles. BMW made a deep and shallow center cap, and I think you have to use the shallows up front and the deeps in the rear. I remember reading that it could be done when I was looking for info on the topic years ago before I had bought my K1s. I never pursued it because racecar. There is info out there, though.

----

In other news, I'm my search to find a decent commuter car, what do you guys think about the 5th gen Honda Prelude? I've always thought they're pretty handsome cars with a very streamlined and fuss-free design. It would of course be an automatic so I can sit in gridlock traffic. Anyway, they were designed when Honda was at the absolute top of their game, so it would be insanely reliable.

Thoughts? I'm sure many of you guys will be anti because FWD, automatic, and Honda, but remember... It's going to serve life only as a work commuter car.

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ho..._oem_1_500.jpg

dc_wright 05-10-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 9072355)
LOL!!! Smartass! I'm trying to figure out if you were trying to say that machine shops can't do anything about trays or not!

I think you're alone out in the cold on the cam trays unless there's some specialty shop out there that does just BMW trays. I did a couple searches and didn't find anything....

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnserioJose (Post 9068800)

It was more than a month between seeing good cars hit the sales listings. Everything else was someone's beater, ongoing project, or completed project.

This is what pushed me to the Z4. I was originally looking for E36M3's or Z3M roadsters and found the same thing. Either totally beat and over priced or somewhat restored and WAY over priced. It was similar for E46M3's too which were also on my list......

jonesin 05-10-2015 09:44 AM

Karl, one of the cars my dad had when I was growing into an enthusiast was a '91 Prelude. They were fantastic cars. Honda used them as their flagship of the day, putting options in them that they were still really testing. This way you really got to experience 'new' technology, before it became widespread in their fleet.

I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for Preludes. They are pretty decent cars. (Despite FWD). 4 wheel steering was awesome back in the day.

dwonda 05-10-2015 10:44 AM

Preludes had 4 wheel steering? Was it passive or active? Was it on all of them or just some like the 8 series? Those preludes were always my fave, pretty quick cars too, might even be faster than your race car!

drivinfaster 05-10-2015 11:25 AM

i believe it was the si models that had 4 wheel steering and began in or around the 88 model year. i liken them to a high school crush that i outgrew.

early generations, rust was an issue, iirc, and the 4ws was problematic when premiered on the prelude. still sporty, though.

karl, i believe that you will enjoy it for exactly your purpose. not as vanilla as a camry, but dull enough to make you savor the e36 a bit more. :thumbup:

also, today is day 2 of the weekend air show at the local airport. the thunderbirds are flying this year. quite loud when they fly over the houses...

df

ZeGerman 05-10-2015 01:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that the AWS was not present for the 4th and 5th gen Prelude, but I could be wrong. For the sake of simplicity, I'd prefer not to have it anyway. It probably just means more bushings and ball joints to replace. I think the big challenge with finding a 5th gen Prelude for under $3k would be locating one that hasn't been riced out, because vtec, yo.

southpark11235 05-10-2015 02:34 PM

Karl, have you thought about getting a convertible? A convertible can make even a mostly straight slow drive fun by cruising with the top down. Just because you are commuting, doesn't mean you can't have any fun while driving.

My dad got a call from Toyota saying that is his 2006 Tundra was eligible for recall. Apparently the undercoating on the truck was not very good and it can rust in the Northeast. The Toyota dealer inspected my dad's truck and determined it needs a whole new frame which they are going to replace for free:yikes:. When my dad first told me this, I did not believe they were going to replace the entire frame. It seemed too far-fetched. However, when my dad picked up his truck, they showed him some other trucks going through the same process and they are literally replacing the whole frame:jawdrop:. The frame takes six weeks for Toyota to make and deliver it, so it will be a little while before the truck gets a new frame. While they are replacing the frame, they are also going to give my dad a loaner car. The truck is only used for towing and hauling things, so he has no need for a loaner car. However, I told him if the let him take a FR-S to do it because I would love to try one of those out.:drive:

dc_wright 05-10-2015 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpark11235 (Post 9073521)
Karl, have you thought about getting a convertible? A convertible can make even a mostly straight slow drive fun by cruising with the top down. Just because you are commuting, doesn't mean you can't have any fun while driving.

My dad got a call from Toyota saying that is his 2006 Tundra was eligible for recall. Apparently the undercoating on the truck was not very good and it can rust in the Northeast. The Toyota dealer inspected my dad's truck and determined it needs a whole new frame which they are going to replace for free:yikes:. When my dad first told me this, I did not believe they were going to replace the entire frame. It seemed too far-fetched. However, when my dad picked up his truck, they showed him some other trucks going through the same process and they are literally replacing the whole frame:jawdrop:. The frame takes six weeks for Toyota to make and deliver it, so it will be a little while before the truck gets a new frame. While they are replacing the frame, they are also going to give my dad a loaner car. The truck is only used for towing and hauling things, so he has no need for a loaner car. However, I told him if the let him take a FR-S to do it because I would love to try one of those out.:drive:

They had the same issue with the Tacoma frames and did a recall on them too. They also offered a buy back at 150% of book value. My Taco is in the recall series, but no corrosion as of yet due to no salt use here. I can take the truck in annually for a free frame inspection.

southpark11235 05-10-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_wright (Post 9073562)
They had the same issue with the Tacoma frames and did a recall on them too. They also offered a buy back at 150% of book value. My Taco is in the recall series, but no corrosion as of yet due to no salt use here. I can take the truck in annually for a free frame inspection.

They didn't just offer to put a new under coating on? For the Tundra recall if there is not a lot of rust, they just fix the rust proofing.

Quote:

Remedy
Please contact an authorized Toyota Dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected the CRC application completed before 7/31/2015. The dealership will inspect the condition of the vehicle’s frame. Based upon the results of the inspection, the dealership will do one of the following: (1) If significant rust perforation is not found, the dealer will apply Corrosion-Resistant Compounds (CRC) to key areas of the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner or (2) If significant rust perforation is found, the dealer will replace the vehicle’s frame at no charge to the owner.

jonesin 05-10-2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Dude. Seattle. Why get a 'vert for the 6 not-rainy days per year?

southpark11235 05-10-2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesin (Post 9073636)
Dude. Seattle. Why get a 'vert for the 6 not-rainy days per year?

I didn't know it rained a lot in WA. I always imaged it as a slightly colder version of CA. Well, England is know for it's convertible roadsters, so maybe you are supposed to use them where it rains a lot. :rofl:

dc_wright 05-10-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpark11235 (Post 9073590)
They didn't just offer to put a new under coating on? For the Tundra recall if there is not a lot of rust, they just fix the rust proofing.

The class action lawsuit on the Taco's may have influenced how those frame issues were handled. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpark11235 (Post 9073669)
I didn't know it rained a lot in WA. I always imaged it as a slightly colder version of CA. Well, England is know for it's convertible roadsters, so maybe you are supposed to use them where it rains a lot. :rofl:

It's not like real rain, more like heavy shower steam. LOL

jonesin 05-10-2015 04:41 PM

And now for something completely different. I've spent as much of this weekend as possible in Old Growth Forests. Sweet Baby Jesus. This has been an incredible experience. Walking among 1000 year old trees in British Columbia. Driving mountain roads in an F3x 320i. (Nowhere near as much fun as either of mine own cars would have been, but better by far than the econo-box I had reserved, that Enterprise screwed up my reservation on). I headed back to the hotel in Vancouver simply exhausted. Yet recharged and fulfilled. I'm thinking I'm going to have to live here at some point.

Capilano Canyon.
University of BC. (Not as old, merely a few hundred years, but still gorgeous)
Elaho Loop.
Stanley Park.
Garibaldi Park.
Shannon Falls.

Wow. The literal definition of Awesome.

jonesin 05-10-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_wright (Post 9073673)
The class action lawsuit on the Taco's may have influenced how those frame issues were handled. :)

It's not like real rain, more like heavy shower steam. LOL

That was Louisiana when I was there a couple summers ago. Ugh. I felt like I was standing fully clothed in a shower the first evening I got there.

ZeGerman 05-10-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, convertibles can be nice for cruisers, but I would never want to own one. Past a few years old and they all seem to leak somewhere. And they are expensive to fix. And I'm pale and tend to hide from the sun whenever possible... I view convertibles as I do pickup trucks... I'd rather have a friend who owns one than owning one myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesin (Post 9073679)
And now for something completely different. I've spent as much of this weekend as possible in Old Growth Forests. Sweet Baby Jesus. This has been an incredible experience. Walking among 1000 year old trees in British Columbia. Driving mountain roads in an F3x 320i. (Nowhere near as much fun as either of mine own cars would have been, but better by far than the econo-box I had reserved, that Enterprise screwed up my reservation on). I headed back to the hotel in Vancouver simply exhausted. Yet recharged and fulfilled. I'm thinking I'm going to have to live here at some point.

Capilano Canyon.
University of BC. (Not as old, merely a few hundred years, but still gorgeous)
Elaho Loop.
Stanley Park.
Garibaldi Park.
Shannon Falls.

Wow. The literal definition of Awesome.

Oh man, I forgot you were in my neck of the woods. Glad you've been able to enjoy yourself while you're out here. The PNW is a special place.

jonesin 05-10-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeGerman (Post 9073710)
Yeah, convertibles can be nice for cruisers, but I would never want to own one. Past a few years old and they all seem to leak somewhere. And they are expensive to fix. And I'm pale and tend to hide from the sun whenever possible... I view convertibles as I do pickup trucks... I'd rather have a friend who owns one than owning one myself.

Oh man, I forgot you were in my neck of the woods. Glad you've been able to enjoy yourself while you're out here. The PNW is a special place.

:rofl:
We call it the PSW here.

drivinfaster 05-10-2015 05:42 PM

somehow "southwest" and "canada" in the same sentence seems,.....odd, quite frankly....

canadian cactus, anyone??:p

of course they wouldn't have tumble weeds. they're be more like summersault bushes, and stay out of peoples yards....:angel:

df

dwonda 05-10-2015 09:58 PM

Canada does have deserts...

And your race car is safe Karl I checked, and your car should be around the neighborhood of .5 seconds faster than a VTEC Prelude, but the prelude may also be lighter so I'm not sure, you might want to switch daily's... BTW Have you guys actually seen how VTEC works? I had no idea it was originally about valve lift, and not timing, pretty genius idea from an engineering pov.

dc_wright 05-11-2015 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 9074015)
Canada does have deserts...

And your race car is safe Karl I checked, and your car should be around the neighborhood of .5 seconds faster than a VTEC Prelude, but the prelude may also be lighter so I'm not sure, you might want to switch daily's... BTW Have you guys actually seen how VTEC works? I had no idea it was originally about valve lift, and not timing, pretty genius idea from an engineering pov.

Yep! VTEC is two stages of lift and you can hear when it kicks in as there's a definite change in the exhaust tone when it switches to the high lift mode. BMW's Valvetronic system takes it a step further and uses a servo motor and eccentric cam to make the lift dynamically variable. On the N52 engines with Valvetronic, there's no throttle body, it's all done at the intake valve with variable lift. The 3.0L N52 without Valvetronic is 225 hp and the same engine with Valvetronic is 265 hp.

SlimKlim 05-11-2015 11:00 AM

I picked up a mascot for my new car. :)

http://i.imgur.com/8APuDMt.jpg

Always had a thing for the "VW Fast" commercials back when the MKV came out and couldn't pass him up for $9 at the dealership. They have much nicer metal ones that they don't make anymore, I'd really like to get my hands on one unless people are asking crazy money for them.

dwonda 05-11-2015 01:40 PM

Just made it through Baltimore, on my way to Boston!

SlimKlim 05-11-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 9075244)
Just made it through Baltimore, on my way to Boston!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw