Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   The NEW official E36 OT Thread!! (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755579)

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake_L8 (Post 8218412)
RRT just called. They found my oil filter housing gasket (the new one) sitting on the power steering rack this morning. I guess it fell out when I was angling the whole assembly back in.

Sigh.

Well....damn...:thumbdwn:

TheFinanceGuy 03-18-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 8218388)
Yeah that's the stuff Patrick, if you pair that with a good spoke brush it makes cleaning the entire wheel a piece of cake.

Thanks. I just ordered it.

I'm creating a small project for this weekend as a reward for all the crap that work has thrown at me over the last week.

I just dropped my wheels off at my shop. they are going take off the rubber and keep two of the tires (other two are junk, one has dry rot, other has a bubble from a pot hole I hit. Probably a bent wheel too). I'm going pick up them up tonight and clean them up over the weekend. One of the wheels has a small amount of curb rash that I'll fix as well. Then hopefully on Sunday, I can paint them up.
Have the wheels re installed on Monday, and throw them on the car! I'm ready to get these winter tires off.

Quote:

RRT just called. They found my oil filter housing gasket (the new one) sitting on the power steering rack this morning. I guess it fell out when I was angling the whole assembly back in.

Sigh.

That sucks... Lots work for nothing huh?

dc_wright 03-18-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Sigh.

That would certainly explain any oil leakage going on............:)

When you work on cars sometimes stuff just happens.

E36 Phantom 03-18-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_wright (Post 8218263)
It's an affliction acquired from work.....

My phone loaded most of the post, but it was scrolled down just enough that your name was hidden. I knew it soon as I saw the contents it was you, though. :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 8218388)
Yeah that's the stuff Patrick, if you pair that with a good spoke brush it makes cleaning the entire wheel a piece of cake.

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Chad's Rant of the Day (TM):

So, I've officially given up on finding a competent person in Chase's mortgage escrow department. I had my escrow payment set up exactly how it should be. They analyzed it and dropped the payment too low. Told em it was wrong, explained why, and told em to put it back. So, they re-analyzed it, and made the payment way too high because they double counted my taxes.

This time, I went in to a branch with copies of tax bills in hand and made them a damn two year analysis on a spreadsheet and told them to analyze a third time but just to use my numbers. It should NOT be this f**king difficult. It's a freaking escrow account, this isn't rocket science!

Just got my notice back this week. The analyst didn't call me while working on it like I requested, and the payment is now even lower than the first time.

Finally just told them to leave it alone and I'll make my own additional payments to escrow in the right amounts. Friggin retards.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_wright (Post 8218457)
when you work on cars sometimes stuff just happens.

qftt

dwonda 03-18-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 8218207)
Floating rotors have reusable center pieces, the actual rotor bolts onto them and can be replaced separately I believe. Friend of mine runs them on his race car.

He really doesn't come off as a douche in person, I had a lot of fun doing that video with him. I think he should just slow down a bit and be more careful with his research and put together some more thoughtful comments. I think his older videos were a lot more entertaining because they were more original.

EDIT: Thanks Don & Matt, that makes sense. Hopefully this snow melts quickly so I can drive it to work for a few days and put some miles on it. The GF leaves for a month next week to start a new job, so I'm pulling together a list of things I want to accomplish before my college club's car show on April 5th.

I'm thinking:

Mechanical
-New motor mounts
-Install coolant level sensor if I can minimize the mess
-Replace exhaust band clamps (they work well but I installed them with the bracket facing downward, they rub on the teensy weensy speedbump at my office. I don't know what I was thinking.)
-Replace clutch/brake arm bushings so the clutch doesn't dangle to the left

Cosmetic
-license plate delete strip
-Make tow hook plate bracket
-Clean up/paint front lip (there's yellow touch up paint smeared into a couple spots
-Redesign my fog light ducts to look a little cleaner
-Paint brake calipers a nice subtle dark gray color (possibly replace brake lines)
-Plastidip window trim
-Remove trim and do a full polish
-Entertain the idea of paying for a PDR service to pull the more noticeable dents, or consider indulging in one of the fancy parts I want, but then not do any of it because I'm too cheap.

Speaking of doing a full polish... I've NEVER seen it done personally which is kind of surprising to me considering how many detail departments I worked in the past, but have you ever considered wet sanding or random orbiting your clear coat? I saw a video of it once, looks scary but considering the improvement it could make in someones finish, I'm considering trying it. Also I could be wrong, but I think this is how factory orange peel is removed.

Brake_L8 03-18-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_wright (Post 8218457)
That would certainly explain any oil leakage going on............:)

When you work on cars sometimes stuff just happens.

Exactly. And the car is already there, they cut me a deal on labor, so I told him to just fix it up. At least I know how to do the job now.

Getting mighty tired of these shop bills...

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake_L8 (Post 8218483)
Exactly. And the car is already there, they cut me a deal on labor, so I told him to just fix it up. At least I know how to do the job now.

Getting mighty tired of these shop bills...

I hate paying someone to work on my car, absolutely hate it.

TheFinanceGuy 03-18-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36 Phantom (Post 8218463)
My phone loaded most of the post, but it was scrolled down just enough that your name was hidden. I knew it soon as I saw the contents it was you, though. :rofl:

Interesting. I'll have to check it out.

So, I've officially given up on finding a competent person in Chase's mortgage escrow department. I had my escrow payment set up exactly how it should be. They analyzed it and dropped the payment too low. Told em it was wrong, explained why, and told em to put it back. So, they re-analyzed it, and made the payment way too high because they double counted my taxes.

This time, I went in to a branch with copies of tax bills in hand and made them a damn two year analysis on a spreadsheet and told them to analyze a third time but just to use my numbers. It should NOT be this f**king difficult. It's a freaking escrow account, this isn't rocket science!

Just got my notice back this week. The analyst didn't call me while working on it like I requested, and the payment is now even lower than the first time.

Finally just told them to leave it alone and I'll make my own additional payments to escrow in the right amounts. Friggin retards.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, Chase is quite interesting. They messed up my mortgage calculation as well for the first year. I just let it be knowing I would get a refund. Got it, now they put it WAY too low. Again, I am leaving it, but placed extra money in the account.
Hearing your story, I am glad that I left it.

cj.surr 03-18-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Sigh.

Lol, embarrassing, but at least it's an easy fix.

dc_wright 03-18-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E36 Phantom (Post 8218463)

We just paid off our mortgage with Chase last month (yeah!) and got a letter from their Escrow department that we needed to notify our insurance company to bill us instead of Chase for the HO insurance since Chase would no longer be paying any bills out of escrow, and that they would be refunding our escrow balance. Notified the insurance company who changed to billing to us. Got the escrow balance check and saw that the amount was way too low because...........wait for it.................Chase sent the HO insurance payment for the year to the insurance company. :mad: Insurance company is working with me to fix it, but Chase made extra work for all of us, them included, by not doing what they were supposed to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1MM3R (Post 8218517)

Agreed! MIL's car has been in the shop for the last week and half. Saturday two weeks ago I did an oil change and general check up on it for her and it was running fine. Some time on Sunday while it spontaneously had no power and would barely idle or would stall. MIL calls about it about 7 p.m. so with limited time I shotgunned that it might be ignition and replaced plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Left it running better but still badly. Dropped it off at a shop I've used and they've been stumped so far. ICV is good, AC IUV is good, no vacuum leaks (confirmed with smoke test and vacuum measurement), fuel pressure is good, cam timing has been checked and verified and is good, no CEL, but it's a '93 Toyota Celica so that doesn't necessarily mean much. I may have to pick it up, pay them for their effort so far and continue to search myself....

dwonda 03-18-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 8218207)
Floating rotors have reusable center pieces, the actual rotor bolts onto them and can be replaced separately I believe. Friend of mine runs them on his race car.

That is interesting, I wonder what the advantage is, maybe its somehow faster to replace the rotor??? But I imagine you would still have to remove the brake calliper soooo....:dunno:

dc_wright 03-18-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 8218675)
That is interesting, I wonder what the advantage is, maybe its somehow faster to replace the rotor??? But I imagine you would still have to remove the brake calliper soooo....:dunno:

It reduces unsprung weight. Instead of a full casting for the rotor you have a formed sheet metal piece for the "rotor holder" and only the portion that the brake pads act on has mass. Since it's not a friction surface the "rotor holder" can be a light weight material like aluminum or could even be carbon fiber.

Brake_L8 03-18-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1MM3R (Post 8218517)

Me too. I really hate going to dealerships or Jiffy Lube -esque places, so I don't go to those at all. Fortunately, I know all the RRT boys and trust them to do quality work and do it right the first time.

SlimKlim 03-18-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 8218480)
Speaking of doing a full polish... I've NEVER seen it done personally which is kind of surprising to me considering how many detail departments I worked in the past, but have you ever considered wet sanding or random orbiting your clear coat? I saw a video of it once, looks scary but considering the improvement it could make in someones finish, I'm considering trying it. Also I could be wrong, but I think this is how factory orange peel is removed.

Well wet sanding and using a random orbital are two different things. If you had just sprayed fresh paint, or needed to aggressively smooth down the top coat, you would wet sand first, then use a rotary or random orbital with various stages of foam/wool pads and polishing compounds to bring out the shine.

I would be wary to wet sand older paint without an electronic depth gauge to measure how much paint is on the surface. There's no way to know how much it's been polished over its life, and it could be way too easy to wear through the clear coat.

The best way to polish at home is to use a random orbital and work your way down from an aggressive cutting compound (as needed) to a swirl remover/finishing compound in 2-3 stages. I use an old school rotary which is harder to avoid swirls with, but it's cheap and durable and gets the job done.

bliger7gz 03-18-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwonda (Post 8217761)
I agree, lets keep at it! What kind of work are you looking for?

I believe the same as you, currently I do computer and cell phone service/repairs on my own and by friend referrals. I'd take anything that is electronics related, repair/installation/service etc. I am in school for Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology, already completed my associates.

I tried Apple for a position as a Genius, no luck, might try that support from home. Feel better as a Genius, I have taken apart iPhones, iPods (all of them), iPads and my very own MacBook Pro, even all my friends know they can come to me first, even if its hardware or software related. Have my MBP running since 08 and still runs like new with an SSD hard drive and upgraded RAM.

bliger7gz
Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Mr. Crimson 03-18-2014 11:21 AM

Star Wars to start filming in May

:yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:bigpimp::bigpimp:

dwonda 03-18-2014 11:31 AM

Haha thats funny, I've been doing the same thing!!! I've never taken apart an iPad however, but have taken apart Macbook's and iMac's, iPhones, iPods. I have a MBP too and its been running great since 2010, upgraded ram, and I put in an SSD. My battery life is still awesome surprisingly. I haven't had any formal schooling like you have though.

From what I understand nobody gets hired as a Genius off the bat, you need to work in their store for about a year and apply to be a Genius when there is an opening. Getting a job at Apple isn't easy, they will sooner higher someone with little to know technical knowledge but with great people skills than the other way around. I was shooting to be a Genius as well, I had referrals from family who used to work there, I had everything going for me, and I really felt like I gave every interview a good effort, and left each one feeling confident, I really thought I had it in the bag, but I didn't, and that is that.

I'm excited for the possibility of the at home advisor position, I have been preparing myself as much as possible for the Facetime interview (tomorrow). It pays better than what I would have started off at with retail. I think I will miss exercising my physical dexterity when it comes to repairing things. I am really craving some more experience in the industry.

dwonda 03-18-2014 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Crimson (Post 8218898)
Star Wars to start filming in May

:yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:bigpimp::bigpimp:

NICE!!! Don't you DARE F*CK up DISNEY!!!

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brake_L8 (Post 8218744)
Me too. I really hate going to dealerships or Jiffy Lube -esque places, so I don't go to those at all. Fortunately, I know all the RRT boys and trust them to do quality work and do it right the first time.

Yea. The only places iv'e ever had my vehicles worked on is Martins German Service and little garages that specialize it certain things that my dad knows the owner. For instance the guy replaced all of my brake lines on the e30 at his garage and only charged me $100, that included parts and labor!

FenderBender 03-18-2014 11:39 AM

Wow that's really cheap Jesse!

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderBender (Post 8218937)
Wow that's really cheap Jesse!

Yea no doubt! BTW I'm in love with the e30!

FenderBender 03-18-2014 12:18 PM

Alright guys, honeymoon vacation spots/websites/prices/deals.

GO!!

Looking for warm sunny beaches with clear water.

B1MM3R 03-18-2014 12:30 PM

Find a travel agent....thats what we did, took the stress out of it. We told him what we were looking for and our price range, he gave us our choices!

FenderBender 03-18-2014 12:34 PM

Aren't they expensive?