Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Auxiliary water pump on e36!? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1267926)

323ti 05-10-2018 12:27 PM

Auxiliary water pump on e36!?

Hi! I have a 323ti - technically same as 323i, so it is a m52. Someone of the previous owners has run extra wiring and installed a auxiliary water pump - looks something like 64118390063, but metal not plastic.
As far as I know e36's should not have this.
My question is why would anyone add this and can I remove it - because it is leaking.

hornhospital 05-10-2018 01:06 PM

Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Wow, that's really odd. Where did they install the auxiliary pump?

As long as your OEM pump is in place and working, you can eliminate the extra one. The only reason I can think of for the extra pump is that they had problems with the regular one. Maybe had overheating problems and thought a second pump would help with cooling.

323ti 05-10-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hornhospital (Post 12514372)
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Wow, that's really odd. Where did they install the auxiliary pump?

As long as your OEM pump is in place and working, you can eliminate the extra one. The only reason I can think of for the extra pump is that they had problems with the regular one. Maybe had overheating problems and thought a second pump would help with cooling.

Thank you, glad to be here, its my first BMW.
In the cooling system it is located right before the heater control valve or whatever its called - 64118375443.
I live in a cold climate, so maybe it has something to do with interior heating?

bluptgm3 05-11-2018 05:54 AM

That is definitely not an E36 part.

If you have a cooling / heating issue, that will have to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeGerman 05-11-2018 05:55 AM

Can you post a photo so we can see it? I'm curious to see what handiwork the previous owner has done.

323ti 05-11-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluptgm3 (Post 12515578)
That is definitely not an E36 part.

If you have a cooling / heating issue, that will have to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No issues with cooling or heating. The pump just started leaking and that's when I found out that it should not even be there.
Ill try to get some pics of the wiring later.

M-technik-3 05-14-2018 03:01 AM

Ti's are not known for great heat and if you live in a cold ie Scandinavia area like area it might have been installed for personal comfort.

323ti 05-16-2019 09:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone. So I have finally removed this ''tumor'' that some past owner mounted on my ti and took some pics of the setup. Was actually a Mercedes pump.
The power came from front foglight wires :rofl: Foglights itself weren't mounted on the car and I had to buy new connectors from Bmw to get the foglights eventually functional.

Offtopic: Car itself hasn't run since march of last year, because its had sort of a rebuild. All the typical rust spots are fixed, complete rear end rebuild, new bushings, new brakes, new suspension parts, new clutch etc. etc
Last part I am doing right now is replacing all the typical wear parts on the engine + complete new cooling system. So thats why I am posting this so late.
After this the car will go to the paintshop and will get a full respray.

Hope you are all enjoying a wonderful spring! :)

hornhospital 05-16-2019 09:32 PM

That's one of the most bizarre kludges I've ever seen. :eek: I'm glad you're putting it right. :thumbup: